What is your interpretation of the ending? SPOILERS AHEAD

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
sickofsickness wrote:One question I have is if... And this is a huge concern I have...
If Brand was the one who went into the tesseract, would she still be in Murphs bedroom or would she see something with her father perhaps? Was the whole thing just one location? I had a hard time believing that the future beings used it just for one kids bedroom.

Unless Cooper was the future being that built it knowing he'd go into it it as 120 year old Copper.
The idea is that Cooper's connection to Murphy is so powerful that it's quantifiable for higher beings to observe. The bedroom is constructed by them for Cooper to understand. If it had been Brand and she had a connection to her father that was strong enough then sure, but that's not the story here.

Sky007 wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:One question I have is if... And this is a huge concern I have...
If Brand was the one who went into the tesseract, would she still be in Murphs bedroom or would she see something with her father perhaps? Was the whole thing just one location? I had a hard time believing that the future beings used it just for one kids bedroom.

Unless Cooper was the future being that built it knowing he'd go into it it as 120 year old Copper.
The idea is that Cooper's connection to Murphy is so powerful that it's quantifiable for higher beings to observe. The bedroom is constructed by them for Cooper to understand. If it had been Brand and she had a connection to her father that was strong enough then sure, but that's not the story here.
Right. This borrows heavily from Contact and I thought it was similar to downloading his memory or something. That any of us could enter the tesseract and have a unique personal experience. Thanks for clearing it up.

One more question - and I apologize if this has been answered, but due to the length of these threads and the variation in wording, it may be impossible to search for, but at the end, Cooper
reuites with Amelia. But as others have asked (and I'm not sure of the answer), wouldn't Cooper Station be arriving at Edmunds anyway? He'd just get there a little early.

sickofsickness wrote:One more question - and I apologize if this has been answered, but due to the length of these threads and the variation in wording, it may be impossible to search for, but at the end, Cooper
reuites with Amelia. But as others have asked (and I'm not sure of the answer), wouldn't Cooper Station be arriving at Edmunds anyway? He'd just get there a little early.
Not certain, but I think with time dilation factoring in it would be quite some time for them to all get there, and time would be different for Brand as well. The idea is more that Murph tells Cooper to go out, explore and find love again. There's nothing on the space station for him. Either way, Brand has no idea what happened so Coop should get over there as soon as he can.

Sky007 wrote:
sickofsickness wrote:One more question - and I apologize if this has been answered, but due to the length of these threads and the variation in wording, it may be impossible to search for, but at the end, Cooper
Not certain, but I think with time dilation factoring in it would be quite some time for them to all get there, and time would be different for Brand as well. The idea is more that Murph tells Cooper to go out, explore and find love again. There's nothing on the space station for him. Either way, Brand has no idea what happened so Coop should get over there as soon as he can.
yes, he'd just be getting there early.. but a LOT early. the planet is nowhere near equipped yet to actually be a home for humanity. Cooper Station is humanity's new home and will be for a long time. during that long time, mankind will need to finally land on Cooper Station and start BUILDING (and perhaps terraforming portions of the planet less stable for life). this would take decades. it's very possible that no one on Cooper Station at the moment Cooper is there will survive long enough to live on Edmunds planet, simply because it will take so much time to develop it the way humans are used to living. until towns or cities are built, only small portions of people can move there at a time. in essence, several generations could live and die on Cooper Station before officially moving to the new planet

in addition, they need to send small groups at a time to make sure prolonged exposure to its atmosphere isn't harmful. it may be easy to live there for a couple of years, but since life isn't quite there yet its still possible that its not meant to be. the planet can habitate but maybe not sustain. the big success of Cooper's mission isn't finding the habitable planet but rather solving the gravity equation, which helps both get mankind TO edmunds planet but more important buys them time on a city-sized spaceship. more work needs to be done before getting the people to Edmund's planet. and again, that could be decades.

I have one pedantic question. Early on, Romilly
gets sick from the spinning Endurance. But he's 1) an astronaut and 2) in space there is no up or down. So why would the spinning either make him dizzy or his training not prepare him for that?

sickofsickness wrote:I have one pedantic question. Early on, Romilly
gets sick from the spinning Endurance. But he's 1) an astronaut and 2) in space there is no up or down. So why would the spinning either make him dizzy or his training not prepare him for that?
Endurance spins at ~5.6 RPM. This is near the upper limit of comfort for an average unadjusted human. Romilly is feeling sick just from dizziness from spinning so fast; the only cure is A) dramamine B) time to adjust.

Sorry if this has been discussed as I'm sure it has been, but I'm curious about the
"Dreaming of the Crash" scene in the beginning of the movie where Cooper is flying in the Ranger and he wakes up to Murph asking if he was dreaming of the crash. I feel like this scene is a lot more important than people make it out to be because it remains a mystery. For some reason I feel like this is the real final scene of the movie after Cooper and TARS leave the space station where they arrive on Edmund's planet, only because 1) Cooper I believe is wearing the same suit as when he left the station, 2) I heard TARS's voice speaking to Cooper, and 3) looks like the same ship. It's a possibility that I could be looking too into it, and it's just a simple flashback dream, where this scene and the crash took place before the events in this film. I feel like it's leaning more towards the latter but I'm not 100% sure and I've seen the movie 3 times so I just wanted to clarify since it's the only thing that I have a question about.

I will try to explain the ending scene of this movie.
Okay, here it goes.

Note: This is one of the many interpretations that can be applied to the plot of the movie and still make sense. And so this is not the only explanation. This is just my Version.

The Very ending scene where Cooper sets out with TARS to find Brand is actually the First Act of the plot. (Its kind of a Bootstrap paradox).

[BIG LOOP STARTS]
He finds brand in the new colony, and they carry out the plan B together.
And they have TARS with them, which means they have the quantum data(whatever that means). With the help of the quantum data, they and the new humans make some tremendous scientific and technological progress.
Which then they use it to create the Wormhole near the Saturn. It is very likely that cooper was with them all these times, because only cooper knows what happened/happens inside the Black hole(Gargantua), so only he could design such a Tesseract.
And so he builds the Tesseract, with the help of brand and fellow new scientists of course, and program it to close the moment cooper is done transferring the knowledge to Murph.

From now on, i will refer to cooper as past cooper, present coop and future coop where past means first act, present is in the Black hole and future is after the Black hole scene act.

[miniLOOP Starts]
Present Cooper now is in the black hole, pinging the location of NASA to past murph, which past Cooper figures out and goes to NASA. He gets selected to pilot the endurance through the wormhole near saturn. However Murph is getting the message STAY from Present Cooper, which she conveys to past Cooper, but he doesnt listen and decides to leave the earth.
He then goes through the wormhole and blah blah unto the events till he falls into the black hole.
Remember the Crash scene in the beginning of the movie?.. That is the scene where he falls into the black hole.
Now he is the present Cooper. After seeing the Tesseract He realizes that there is no 'They', and that the ghost was him all along. He then sends the message 'STAY' desperately using gravity to murph, which the past Cooper doesn't listen to anyway, because he didn't listen to it in the first place.
Now the Present Cooper realizes that time is a flat circle, and begins searching the tesseract for the dust storm moment so he can ping the location of NASA to the past murph. And then he does.
[miniLOOP ENDS].

After pinging the location of NASA, Present Cooper then imparts the quantum data into the watch which past Cooper gave to past Murphy.
And Then the Tesseract Closes and Present Cooper is stranded near Saturn, thus becomes the Future Cooper.
(The science behind this is that Spinning black holes have a Ring Singularity, thus it is possible for some falling object to avoid colliding with the singularity and instead go through that extremely distorted spacetime and emerge on a white hole. i.e Other side of the black hole which is usually a parallel universe or a wormhole.)

Present Murphy figures out that the ghost was his dad all along, and she decrypts the quantum data from the watch, and she finds a way to lift that huge NASA base to space. Which they do and put it on an orbit around Saturn, cause that's where the wormhole is. Now they are just waiting to travel through the wormhole and colonize the new planet(Edmund's planet) where Brand is carrying out the plan B.
Future Cooper after having a little reunion with future Murph, sets out to find Brand on the new Planet to help her in the plan B.
[BIG LOOP ENDS]

This is just my interpretation. Feel free to discuss about this.
And English is not my first language, so go easy on me.
Last edited by abnewstein on November 18th, 2014, 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

I think you just summed up the story perfectly :)
The only thing I can't really get my head round is the following:

If Cooper has figured out the coordinates and binary code in the beginning of the movie, then why is he sending these like it's the first time he has ever seen these inside the Tessaract?

I know this has to do with time paradox and stuff, but the Cooper we see figures out the codes in the bedroom of Murph first and then goes inside the black hole.

Just nitpicking of course ..
Last edited by MorenoVL on November 18th, 2014, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.