How Did Interstellar Affect You?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
How didn't it affect me is a much better question.

positively

Thinking about some parts makes me tear up and other parts make me feel very optimistic about our future. And definitely more than a few parts make me wonder about the world we perceive and what is beyond what our eyes can tell.

I'm also in shock over how incredible the film turned out and how utterly nonsensical the reviews turned out. Not to mention was inspired to create an account here so I can post more of my thoughts about Interstellar.

Hard to say.

On the one hand, there's a purely artistic effect that it's had on me. It's the latest, and one of the best, examples of what great art can be, what we're capable of doing in that realm, why it's something I want to do. The connection that is possible between so many people through this medium, and its ability to touch deeply and to say important, fundamental things....

Which leads me to the other effect it's had on me. This one is hard to quantify. It's just... a feeling. A deeper, renewed appreciation for the things the movie is about, but much more than that. Hard to say. It's almost a spiritual reinvigoration, as odd as that may sound. But that's the point of great art.

thegreypilgrim wrote:Hard to say.

On the one hand, there's a purely artistic effect that it's had on me. It's the latest, and one of the best, examples of what great art can be, what we're capable of doing in that realm, why it's something I want to do. The connection that is possible between so many people through this medium, and its ability to touch deeply and to say important, fundamental things....

Which leads me to the other effect it's had on me. This one is hard to quantify. It's just... a feeling. A deeper, renewed appreciation for the things the movie is about, but much more than that. Hard to say. It's almost a spiritual reinvigoration, as odd as that may sound. But that's the point of great art.
I too had some sort of spiritual connection and resurgence.

You
you...I love you. No I mean, you perfectly summed it up.

Ruth wrote:

You
Aw shucks. Well I'm glad I hit the mark.

great thread topic.

i found certain scenes to be really hard-hitting emotionally. to the point that i felt kind of overwhelmed in the theater, like i needed to allow myself to disengage from the story a bit in order to calm down. i cried multiple times, including:
the scene where cooper leaves the first time

the scene where cooper sits in front of the screen and watches his children grow up. this one was really too much. devastating stuff.

the scene where cooper is trapped inside the black hole, hoping to send a message back to murph (her "ghost")

the ending

not surprisingly, they were all scenes with mcconaughey.
i haven't had a chance to really analyze my thoughts yet (i'm probably going to do some writing about the movie soon), but wow. without a doubt nolan's most impactful. that's a rare and precious quality.

I saw it last night and I'm still thinking about it. I don't think a movie has ever done that before. I just stared at my ceiling when I went to bed. I just want to see it again.

Ruth wrote:

You
I love all of you.

Interstellar made me appreciate the finer things a bit more.