'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Truly a masterpiece, I'd give it 10/10

Hi. Been reading the forums for a while and felt, after watching Interstellar last night, it was a good time to join in the conversation.

Overall I enjoyed it. I can totally see why some critics didn't like the film. There are a lot of flaws. Some of the dialogue is awful and the pacing was a bit crazy in places.

BUT...my word some things are totally, totally amazing!

Breaking it down...

The first act I felt was good, but the could have stretched another 20 minutes or so. The goodbyes seemed very quick to me and:- "Oh, wait...we are going to space already!" ....Slow down a moment!!

Second act had some terrible moments and some incredible moments. For me this where the biggest flaws were. If Nolan had just changed a few things here and there, imo, it would have been a masterpiece from start to finish. But the space imagery was just gorgeous. I find it so awesome at the lack of CGI. Everything just looked SO real.

The third act is just bonkers and brilliant. That's all really. I loved it. But it did almost feel like a different movie entirely! The last 10-15 minutes were needed for me, it brought closure to the whole movie very well.

I don't think it's Nolan's best, but I have to take my hat off for the balls it took to try and tell this story. For that alone he deserves all the accolades under the sun.

A great movie stays with you long, long after you leave the theater and sparks debates. This does that and then some. Despite all the criticism, one thing it is doing is getting EVERYBODY talking about it.

One last thing, when Nolan said he wanted to make a film like 'the golden age of cinema' I feel like he was stating that it was always going to be a film for the fans, the cinema goers and lovers. Not the critics. Screw the RT score, Metacritic etc. This film is for us to enjoy for what is is, a remarkable cinematic journey.

8/10.

I saw Interstellar yesterday and it's a fantastic albeit imperfect movie. Instead of a long review I'll just post the pros and cons from yesterday's screening.

Pros:
1. An epic movie I've been waiting for for so long.
2. Really good acting from all parts. McC was terrific and i whole different league compared to the rest.
3. The visuals are out of this world (no pun intended). And although I didn't see the movie in Imax (Oslo, Norway) you always felt that you were in space and with the crew on their mission.
4. The music lifted the movie to new heights. I was in awe when I heard the teaser music at the start, and I knew the rest of the score by Zimmer would not disappoint! Best score from him in a long time.
5. The story has all the necessary ingredients to make it a unique and breathtaking cinematic experience. However, I do have some complaints (see cons).
Cons:
1. The story is very good, but unfortunately not perfected. I've read the early screenplay from 08 and honestly I think the movie should have had the same ending as the early script. I also feel they should have included the Chinese space station.
2. I didn't see the point of Damon's character. I understand the third act, but I feel it was unnecessary. I guess when you have two of the biggest movie studios financially backing you up, they will have some demands of their own regarding the script. My understanding is that the studios felt like they needed one other high-profile name in the movie that would potentially boost ticket sales, hence Damon as Mr. Mann. The movie, in my opinion, could have maybe benefited by reallocating the additional minutes freed up from excluding the Mr.Mann story to other parts e.g., NASA, ending, etc. This is turn would not make the first act feel rushed.
All in all it was a fantastic movie, that could have pushed the envelope. I rate it 8.5 / 10.

Just came back from cinema and I got mixed feelings.

Merits:
The Interstellar is visionary. It is visually gorgeous. It looks vintage, old-fashioned, rigid and stark which perfectly matches with its hard sf atmosphere and flavour. Zimmer surpised me with his score. It's bombastic in a good way and very emotional (sometimes too much).

Disadvantages:
Plot is lost in the space. It's too childish, naive and ridiculous. It just doesn't work on certain level. Characters are flat even when they push hard to be emotional which is another flaw. Too many emotions for me in the movie marathon like this. Not my cup of tea.

6 or 7/10 but I have to give it a try in the future once again.

mixed feelings on the film. I felt the most original part of the film was the beginning. The rest of it felt like a medley of scifi that worked in some original films of the past. The writing of human interactions showed growth. The visual choices, the the mixing of the score was really tight and efficient. I thought it was the least original of Nolan's films in terms of plot and twists, but it seemed like maybe that was intentional and meant to take a backseat to the human element.

I'll say this. At it's core it felt like a spiritual story disguised or interpreted through scientific analogy. About death, the beyond, and the light that transcends time.

I feel like I want to write some huge review of this that will have meaning and be substantial, but I just don't have the right words at the moment. Maybe I will in the near future, maybe never.

I can say this though, it is my favorite Nolan film.

It is Nolan's most emotional film. I was tearing up hard (especially at two moments which I won't spoil here) and I'm not afraid to say it.

There is so much more I want to say, but just can't. I have to see this movie at least a dozen more times in this lifetime, maybe even two-dozen.

I N T E R S T E L L A R- 10/10

Grand, thrilling, intelligent, thematically rich, hugely emotional. I think Nolan has finally topped Memento. The ambition and characters propel it into the beyond. It's a majestic and powerful film that uses the vast canvas of space to explore the inner workings of human nature. What really impressed me was the texture and feeling to the film. Thematically it's rich and I'm so happy that the characters and themes felt intertwined and balanced. They informed each other. I could go on and on about the use of time, motifs, thematic gems. To say it's flawed feels silly. Apocalypse Now is flawed and still among the best ever. Interstellar is a masterpiece of cinema that impresses on every level. It hit me in every single way a movie possibly can. I can't name many others that have done that. I didn't see Star Wars or Raiders in theaters. Interstellar is that type of experience for me. Cooper is my hero. I'll never forget this film.

Sky007 wrote:Grand, thrilling, intelligent, thematically rich, hugely emotional. I think Nolan has finally topped Memento. The ambition and characters propel it into the beyond. It's a majestic and powerful film that uses the vast canvas of space to explore the inner workings of human nature. What really impressed me was the texture and feeling to the film. Thematically it's rich and I'm so happy that the characters and themes felt intertwined and balanced. They informed each other. I could go on and on about the use of time, motifs, thematic gems. To say it's flawed feels silly. Apocalypse Now is flawed and still among the best ever. Interstellar is a masterpiece of cinema that impresses on every level. It hit me in every single way a movie possibly can. I can't name many others that have done that. I didn't see Star Wars or Raiders in theaters. Interstellar is that type of experience for me. Cooper is my hero. I'll never forget this film.
Yes

Ok, second time. The me who gave it a 9.5 on Tuesday was a fucking coward. 10/10