'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Please use this thread to post your review of the film.

Rules for the thread:
1) Only post your review of the film. Please no discussion in this thread. If you feel the need to discuss a review that is posted in this thread, please do so in the Reviews Discussion thread.
2) Try to avoid using/posting spoilers in your review. However, if you feel the need to do so, please use spoiler tags.
3) Please do not post any official, critic reviews. They go here.
4) Follow the General Forum Rules, which can be found here.

Rules for the NolanFans-O-Meter:
1. I didn't include a mixed category because it would be too complicated. 0 - 5 is negative, 6 - 10 is positive
2. In order to be included, you have to have made at least 100 posts.
3. In order to be included in the "top critics" category, you have to have made at least 1000 posts.
4. If you didn't include a score, you weren't included, but you can PM me or post a score and I'll include you.

All Critics
64 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.2/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 98%
(2782) natalie: 9.5/10
(8199) Dream-Xtractor: 10/10
(1611) Yusuf Dazz: 10/10
(127) willyjoel: 8.5/10
(691) thegreypilgrim: 10/10
(2397) MiracleSleeper2: 9.9/10
(398) Rom: 5/10
(372) 4NLegend: 10/10
(8042) Red Hood: 10/10
(3120) OVERMAN: 10/10
(2799) xWhereAmI?: 10/10
(12594) Vader182: 10/10
(777) AsianVersionOfET: 10/10
(232) ek79: 9/10
(3399) Addicted2Movies: 10/10
(4048) Thedarkknight628: 10/10
(128) The Taxman: 10/10
(169) Angier: 8/10
(2169) Panapaok: 10/10
(9799) Durden: 10/10
(2906) Now Where Was I ?: 9.5/10
(662) Sky007: 10/10
(1510) RabidBEBOP: 9/10
(605) poplar: 9/10
(14437) DoubleD: 8/10
(506) Mindheist: 10/10
(5926) Sandy: 10/10
(14644) Bacon: 9.3/10
(2208) ChristNolan: 10/10
(442) Echovoid_52: 7.6/10 {Has stated that he didn't like to rate films}
(125) Vesh: 9.5/10
(5825) dafox: 9.4/10
(1356) Havoc1st: 9.5/10
(7159) Z. Cobb: 8.7/10
(1767) antovolk: 9/10
(6816) Pratham: 9.5/10
(3687) ArmandFancypants: 8/10
(1238) slimshady247: 10/10
(641) lcbaseball22: 8.8/10
(152) CoRohr: 10/10
(14622) BlairCo: 9/10
(6422) the_red_ninja: 10/10
(273) Ericmase: 10/10
(159) Robbman: 9/10
(139) Lord Shade: 10/10
(2369) Skyab23: 7/10
(600) ratedR: 8.2/10
(198) braungeo123: 10/10
(169) Bale Fan: 9/10
(402) HorrorBiz: 7/10
(1007) eromero: 9/10
(187) MeLVaNoaTe: 7/10
(16661) Cilogy: 9/10
(3195) JohnConstantine: 8/10
(100) dsus4gtr: 10/10
(2151) anepicmoviereviewer: 10/10
(2871) Nomis1700: 10/10
(249) taylorimpromptu: 10/10
(130) LoneCooper: 8.5/10
(11203) Peace: 7.5/10
(1957) Ruth: 10/10
(4048) darthnazgul: 8/10
(2669) Dragon_316ca: 9.5/10
(9282) 11072014: 9.8/10
Top Critics
38 reviews counted
Average Rating: 9.3/10
NolanFans-O-Meter: 100%
(2782) natalie: 9/10
(8199) Dream-Xtractor: 10/10
(1611) Yusuf Dazz: 10/10
(2397) MiracleSleeper2: 9.9/10
(8042) Red Hood: 10/10
(3120) OVERMAN: 10/10
(2799) xWhereAmI?: 10/10
(12594) Vader182: 10/10
(3399) Addicted2Movies: 10/10
(4048) Thedarkknight628: 10/10
(2169) Panapaok: 10/10
(9799) Durden: 10/10
(2906) Now Where Was I ?: 9.5/10
(1510) RabidBEBOP: 9/10
(14437) DoubleD: 8/10
(5926) Sandy: 10/10
(14644) Bacon: 9.3/10
(2208) ChristNolan: 10/10
(5825) dafox: 9.4/10
(1356) Havoc1st: 9.5/10
(7159) Z. Cobb: 8.7/10
(1767) antovolk: 9/10
(6816) Pratham: 9.5/10
(3687) ArmandFancypants: 8/10
(1238) slimshady247: 10/10
(14622) BlairCo: 9/10
(6422) the_red_ninja: 8/10
(2369) Skyab23: 7/10
(1007) eromero: 9/10
(16661) Cilogy: 9/10
(3195) JohnConstantine: 8/10
(2151) anepicmoviereviewer: 10/10
(2871) Nomis1700: 10/10
(11203) Peace: 7.5/10
(1957) Ruth: 10/10
(4048) darthnazgul: 8/10
(2669) Dragon_316ca: 9.5/10
(9282) 11072014: 9.8/10
I still need scores from:
(197) Thaillest89 - positive
(7696) Cop 223 - positive
Last edited by Numbers on November 14th, 2014, 11:21 am, edited 15 times in total.

A Love Story Against The Backdrop Of A Grand Interstellar Travel

Love is the one thing that transcends time and space...

New creation of Christopher Nolan's genius, whose name is now known to everyone. His films are waiting with a special look, because it offers something that every day, unfortunately, less and less can be found in the world of mass cinema - an interesting spectacle, filled with meaning, ideas and emotions. He's a director who really appreciates, respects and loves his job, has his ideas about art and meaning of ​​cinema as a whole.

At this time, Christopher decided to send us not to the world of dreams, and even not on the dark streets of Gotham City. No, now we are waiting for the journey to, and perhaps beyond the boundaries of the possible and impossible, through the curvature of space and time, in other worlds. And you will not forget this trip, this can be assured.

Expectations of the new film by Christopher Nolan began long before the announcement of this project, because the very name Nolan attracts moviegoers from all over the world. When we learned that his new film will be a picture about space, about interstellar travel, the expectations of the project increased. When Matthew McConaughey, whose talent Nolan spotted long before he rose to the stand of popularity, was joined the project, the expectations have increased even more. Then all the interest grew and grew. Like all Nolan's fans, I madly waiting for Interstellar's release. And then, finally, I was able to see this Beauty - at the premiere in my coutry on October, 29.

It was incredibly exciting. It was a delight. It was unforgettable. It was gorgeous. Nolan once again amazes the viewer's imagination by his painting. Journey to the brink of infinity, the line where humanity has never set, acts as either the first-born purpose and a background of emotional history about the father and the daughter. A loving father who mankind need to help, but that he should leave his children, and a loving daughter who doesn't want to let her dad in the endless darkness.

Starting from the very first frame and ending with the closing credits, a new picture of Nolan will absorb you completely, forcing stare at the screen during the whole action, because it's all so exciting and interesting that escape becomes physically impossible. No, not the three hours fly by for you quickly. You'll feel every emotion, every event, every character. You will not look like the main characters travel through the universe, because the movie experience in this film is so excellent that you yourself will be on board the "Endurance" starship and will travel between the worlds with the main characters.

The emotional core of this story is the relationship of Matthew McConaughey's character and his daughter Mackenzie Foy' and Jessica Chastain' character. And the acting work of these three artists in "Interstellar" impress the most. McConaughey was acting really great, and this is one of the most emotional roles of his life. All the drama and tragedy of the relationship of father and daughter in this film will not leave anyone indifferent. Anne Hathaway performed her role is also good, but there was much more strong woman characters in Nolan's films. Her character here is different from her usual screen image and fits into the story told in this film. Wes Bentley, Michael Caine, John Lithgow, Casey Affleck, Ellen Burstyn and other actors also coped with their roles and presented the film's supporting characters very realistic. I would particularly like to note a small but important role in this history by Matt Damon, a character who has received quite memorable. If we talk about the characters, it should be noted also two robots that accompanied our heroes in this difficult journey. One of them adds a touch of humor in the film, which mitigates constantly depressing, dramatic, and sometimes really dark atmosphere. In the film, the robots get as lively, but still not too human.

The script of the film is very well combined the history of space exploration and the relationship of Cooper and Murph. The story is complex and complicated enough, is based on real scientific theories by Kip Thorne, and indeed contains a reference to the "Space Odyssey" and other sci-fi pictures. This story about true love, about loyalty, forgiveness, fraud, hard decisions, and much more. And it is designed so that leaves a lot of room for the imagination of the viewer. In the visual range is also possible to notice some allusion to another Nolan's work - Inception. In "Interstellar" story and visuals are combined just perfectly.

Hans Zimmer's score, written by him on the basis of only one letter from Nolan, hold the key: “Once we become parents, we can’t help but look at ourselves through the eyes of our children.”, deserves a special praise. On this basis, Hans managed to write just incredible soundtrack that perfectly harmonizes with the history and the visual side of the picture. And this work of the composer is really different from the previous ones. It is executed in a different style from another subject in its base. Very impressive work, which will be pleasantly listened again and separate from the film itself.

Visual range of the picture is incredibly beautiful and circuses. The "Endurance" itself, new worlds, insanely beautiful and mysterious space, wormholes, black holes, and travel through them, folds of time and space are arranged so that is simply breathtaking. I would like to thank the operator Hoyte Van Hoytema, art directors led by Nathan Crowley, editor Lee Smith, and all those who contributed to the creation of a visual of this film. It must be seen. That mastery with which this is done, not just words. In the visual pattern also has some references to the Kubrick's "Odyssey", and they are pleasing to the eye. As I said, we do not observe, but participate in this incredible journey.

Many thanks to Christopher Nolan for having given us such an incredible film that combines a strong story and characters, outstanding and very emotional performances, beautiful and spectacular visual, deep and dramatic soundtrack and, of course, the Master's directing, who once again proved to us that the cinema is his life.

"Interstellar" is a film that wins the hearts of the audience not only with its sci-fi splendor, but also an emotional story that lies at its very heart. This film is not only about the discoveries, space exploration and the final frontier of mankind, but also about the relationship of father and daughter, who were in a difficult situation in life when one has to leave the other in the name of a goal that can not be underestimated. So, with what Nolan's genius unfolds before us this action is beyond praise. Combining the story, filled with not only real science fiction, but the true human values ​​and emotions, breathtaking visuals, epic and dramatic soundtrack, Christopher Nolan breathed the life into this film by his directing again to create something truly masterpiece.

"Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night...
Rage, Rage Against The Dying Of The Light."

By Dmitry T.

I N T E R S T E L L A R
A FILM BY CHRISTOPHER NOLAN

RATING : 10/10

I had the chance to attend to the premiere of Interstellar in Paris in 70mm film (I’m French so I’m already sorry if you don’t understand me, but I think it will be comprehensible). In this “uncut/extended” review of the latest film from Christopher Nolan, Interstellar, I’ll try to be as honest as possible about my experience. As a critic, it is likely that it contains descriptions of scriptwriting and directing, so potential spoilers for some people, although I will not reveal any details of the elements including twists and turns of the script that we mean by spoilers. It is therefore preferable that you have seen the movie too, but also if you’re planning to experience it soon.

So what can I say about this movie, or rather, about this experience? Let’s put things back in their context, Interstellar was expected as a promising film and taking it to a specific fact: this is a film by Christopher Nolan (Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception), so it is a highly anticipated film. However, this fact creates in the audience a kind of apprehension effect of believing in advance that this film will be a great movie, because it's a film by Christopher Nolan, and also because the marketing campaign is very effective. However, I managed for my part, even though I’m a Nolan admirer, to extract myself from this apprehension and go see the movie with my mind detached of all my expectations. And yet, from the beginning to the end of Interstellar, I have not managed to be disappointed for a second. Not one, and I have my reasons. I will try to explain it to you now.

Let us quickly recall the synopsis of the film: Matthew McConaughey, obviously still at the peak of his talent, plays Cooper, former NASA pilot who became a farmer despite himself at a time when the Earth is painfully lacking in resources and seems to be destined to die in his own torments ; Cooper rhymes with dreamer, and this is a man who dreams to find a forgotten glory. However, in strange circumstances that will be explained later on in the film, Cooper will get in touch with a fallen NASA, but working on a mission to send a group of explorers aboard the Endurance to explore potentially habitable worlds. From hesitating between the stars in search of a new habitable world and stay with his children, Tom and Murphy, Cooper finally decides quite naturally to get on board, and leave his family behind, on that poor Earth...

The film begins by establishing at his own rhythm its ambitions: men overexploited land resources, which is why the only goal they have left is to survive. But this life is not enough for Cooper, brilliantly played by McConaughey who gave body and soul to this unusual character. But all of this wouldn’t hold without the total control of Christopher Nolan, based on the original and languishing soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, the luminous and impenetrable photography of Hoyte Van Hoytema, and the sincerity of Nolan’s directing. Indeed, the emotions that are passing through the characters, especially in the emotional bond between Cooper and his daughter Murphy, are never exaggerated or present as a sort of blockbuster necessity that Interstellar is not meant to be. These emotions are transmitted naturally, they are never overplayed, and have a specific role in the course of the film. So I was from my perspective transported into another perspective, Cooper’s perspective : when he finally decides to go for a journey he does not know the outcome of, how Nolan manages to film the characters and to find the right cut at the right time, always in harmony with Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack, gives the film an aspiring and inspiring dimension that was missing in hollywoodian films (and not just hollywoodian ones) for many many years. Thus we are transported into the same cockpit that Cooper, we feel the same remorse that he can already feel, we feel the same gravity, and we feel the same fear of the unknown melted with the force of his will. All of this is brilliantly illustrated in a very simple directing choice, which from my point of view is the first and decisive impetus of the film: to directly jump from when Cooper leaves in his truck, leaving his family behind him, to when Endurance takes off. This inspiration, this simple editing decision allows Nolan to give an original movement to his film, and it is extremely important to notice the alliance of this scene with the musical crescendo that makes us physically feel the sentimental break between two parts of the film, which correspond to two portions of the life of Cooper. Symbolically, combining these two scenes is not innocent; it will only strengthen the feelings of Cooper that he left behind him, and that he will carry (which is why that editing choice has a purpose) in the vessel with him to the destiny that lies above him.

Interstellar has placed its bases. It only needs to take off now. Then, the film takes us on a journey where the future of mankind is at stake. Visually, Nolan stays true to himself, meaning that he surpasses himself once again, a scene to another. One scene is particularly striking, when the Endurance’s crew approaches Saturn. Everyone is on his side, Brand (played by a fantastic Anne Hathaway), Romilly (David Gyasi), Doyle (Wes Bentley) and the robot named TARS are part of the ship. And Cooper comes to Romilly, who expresses his fear of being so close to death, his anxiety about the emptiness of space which extends to infinity and yet is just a few inches away, behind the walls of the vessel. And Cooper answers this to him : “Most of sailors leaving alone at sea do not even know how to swim. If they fall into the water, it's done : it’s over for them. Us, we are explorers. ". Following this, we listen to the sounds of Mother Nature (thunder, wind and rain) resonating on a disproportionate level (in the good sense) where the Endurance passes by the gigantic planet that is Saturn. I leave you all the happiness to interpret this passage as you wish, but to me it simply means that whatever the journey is, regardless of the distance, we always carry with us a part of what we relate the most easily to : a home. Pushing this idea a little too much to its climax, this would correspond to the image of a turtle : wherever she goes, she will keep its shell on its back. But let's not go further into analogies between human and animal, it will be confusing.

The journey continues, Interstellar is not about to be end, and we’re glad about it. The evidence that time is indeed relative, it is that a 2h49 boring film seems to last forever, while an extraordinary 2h49 film seems to be too fast. But I found no reason to be disappointed at the end of Interstellar. Every minute counts, every scene is heavy, every explanation or reversal is crucial. Some may not enjoy the intense scientific explanations reported by the film, but I would like to clarify this point out: the goal is not to understand what a "bulk", a "wormhole" or "quantum data” is. Firstly, the film is very understandable, you just need to use your common sense and stay focused. But it is also interesting to come out of the theater still asking questions to yourselves. Because questions about the scientific issues and the elements of the film lead us to ask film-making and philosophical questions, such as : what is it to be a human being, is there some physical limitations to our humanity, how far could we be willing to go to determine knowledge, is there other dimensions that we can not access to, and above all: what is the nature of this intact and immutable bond that unites us to others wherever we are in the universe ? Is this bond only intelligible, or is it also tangible ? All these questions resonate in harmony in Nolan’s Interstellar.

But a good film always needs a driving force. And here, it is the link between Cooper and Murphy. Murphy grew up (and Jessica Chastain shines in his role) while Coop 'continues his mission. The only thing that can be found in relation to the work of Nolan, is the proximity with a few elements from Inception’s directing. One of these elements is the simultaneity of two different times : time on Earth and time for Cooper in space simultaneously, as the simultaneity of temporary differences in the levels of the same dream in Inception. But it doesn’t put a stop to the inventiveness and originality of the film. Interstellar is itself a crescendo, increasing sensitivity and creativity. I use the term deliberately because it goes crescendo with the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer, which is one of the most beautiful music ever scored for a sci-fi movie. We are witnessing a perfect musical arrangement, a total symbiosis, a bit like the music of Gravity which had understood very well how to match the image and the rhythm of a sequence to its own musicality. Zimmer’s crescendos are giving a new powerful breath to every new scene, whether it is in visually powerful & intense moments or in more intimate moments; it intrudes into our momentary feelings and sensations, and manages to extend them, sometimes almost to choking, before resting on the balance of the film frame along with our mind spellbounded.

I finally come to the third part of the movie, that you will easily recognize by going to see it, as it begins when the protagonists (Coop 'and Brand) will learn something that will change their views on the overall mission. In this third act, already heavily criticized, I have seen all the talent of the director that I knew he was outside the norm, but whom I did not know his capacity to reinvent itself. Because this is it: Interstellar is not an action movie, not really a blockbuster, and it goes not entirely but mostly again the expectations of common people who think they’ll see another film by Christopher Nolan as the director of Inception and The Dark Knight, and not as the director of his other films. It's much more than that. This is much more than just a sci-fi movie. It is unlike any of his previous films. Some hoped to see Interstellar as Christopher Nolan’s best film, and they were disappointed that this was not the case. And indeed, THIS IS NOT THE BEST FILM of Christopher Nolan. Why ? Because in a way, IT IS HIS FIRST FILM. I'm not saying that Interstellar is not as good as his other films, on the contrary, it goes beyond all of them. But to me Interstellar is the first film of a new stage in Nolan’s filmography ; it is a masterpiece as it the beginning of a work ahead. Interstellar is the proof that Nolan has finally managed, despite all the expectations that were placed on him after the success of The Dark Knight, to move away from his own reputation (somehow without totally separating from it) to create a personal work, original, humble, sincere and deeply, meticulously, measured. It had already happened with Inception, but it lacked of that deep breath close to his heart, that will of making a film without any obligations and dealing with the questions he probably asked himself watching films during his childhood and during his life. And he just did it.

Now, in this third act of the film, it all comes to life with unparalleled strength. Nolan poses and answers questions that raise others. But he focuses his attention on the great mystery of love, that emotional bond that can unite men and sometimes separate them (and this is apparently the case in the film), that can lead to hatred as to love more, to achieve the most disproportionate madnesses ; but the strength of this film and especially in its last act is to examine this link in unexpected places : Nolan is the only one that can successfully speak of love from a being to another in a film that mainly takes place in a another galaxy. From my point of view, only Solaris by Steven Soderbergh (2002), unfortunately neglected by the audience, was able to accomplish that. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968) has nothing to do with Interstellar, although visually, Nolan sometimes pays tribute to him. 2001 is a philosophical tale about the technique and the ratio of power between animosity and superior intelligence, and in that way it is positioned outside of human nature. In Interstellar, a movie much more personal in his message, is based on a premise which is the following, which Cooper and his daughter are the interpreters : from terrestrial dust to the depths of space and time, we can never be separated from who we are as individuals and as a species, as we always leave a part of ourselves "behind” ourselves. In other words, if I tried to summarize what makes the heart beat of Interstellar, I could say that this is a human story, and even if we go as far as we want to, if we travel through the universe believing that we can be detached of the one we are fond of, we will only get closer to them. Because the separation, and thus the distance and time, then the survival and courage, then giving up, and then hope, can only ultimately reinforce the relationship between the people who really love each other. Because it is going to the end of the world, when we reach the end of ourselves, at this “end”, that we reach the singularity of the “black hole beyond the horizon” * : it is our humanity.
No, I wasn’t been able to find any bad flaws in the film. Not one, and I'm still looking. After all, Interstellar is like gravity, “all it takes is a little push ! “

*you’ll have to see the movie to figure that one out.

Félix Tardieu, November 1st, 2014
Last edited by john75 on November 2nd, 2014, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

When posting your review, try and give it a rating. I'll keep a running total of positive, mixed, and negative.

I had the the chance of being at the Interstellar Premiere at the Grand Rex, two days ago in Paris. After waiting for more than three hours - it was worth it, I had one of the best seat in the theater - I finally saw the movie I had been wanting to see for more than a year. I’ll keep the review completely spoiler-free, however there will be a few spoiler tags along the way where I will give more in-depth elements and examples - so this parts will be full of spoilers, don’t look at them if you haven’t seen the movie. Finally, please acknowledge the fact that English is not my mother tongue (I’m french) so I will make some mistakes. Thank you for taking the time to read my review :).

A terribly uneven movie
Let’s get that out of the way immediately: the movie is incredibly uneven. Some scenes are amongst the best you will ever experience in a theater; they are of an intensity that is beyond anything I’ve ever seen. Yet, the plot - of the first and second part especially - is crippled with holes that you can’t miss. You will jump from meh scenes, where plotholes so big are on the screen that you will cringe a bit, to scenes that will blow you away and make your heart skips a beat. And then there is the third part. The most amazing part of the movie. It is perfectly built, extremely intense and beautiful. You will leave the movie feeling frustrated and in awe at the same time. Why couldn’t the first and second part be of the same quality as the third one? If they were, this movie would be a masterpiece on the level of Kubrick’s 2001: a Space Odyssey.

Twists and trailers
I was a bit afraid that having seen so much trailers and TV spots I would be a bit disappointed by many scenes - I was not. The trailers really show little of the movie, and there are many twists in the story that - unless you have read the original script - cannot be predicted from the trailers. Yet, many of them are a bit predictable. You will rarely feel surprise in the movie, however this fact doesn’t remove anything to the intensity of most scenes. As I said, some of them are insanely tense.
The fact that they are them can easily be guessed at the beginning of the movie, but that remove nothing to the beauty of the scenes in the singularity.
Space is beautiful
It should be a surprise for no one: the space shots are amazing. Not only are the tremendously big objects - planets, blackholes, wormholes, etc. - stunning but the shots of the various spacecrafts are even cooler. You will see space-porn with RCS thrusters firing, debris flying, hull bending under the stress of aero-braking and above anything else absolutely no sound in space. The score makes the space scenes really tense and you easily get the terrifying idea that the only thing that protects them from outer space is a three centimeters thick hull. The insides of the ships look really real, there was an incredible work done on the props for this movie. Nothing looks cheap or out of place, and that is rarely achieved by sci-fi movies.

TARS and CASE: amazing robots
I was a bit worried by how Nolan’s would handle two robots in the story, but in the end the work done on them is amazing. They look really original, really cool and you will love them. They really have their own personalities and their voices are a good-mix between human and computer. You’ll love them as much as you’ll love other characters. The way they move and their little pieces of dialogue are greatly appreciated.

Amazing characters
There is some really good character development going on in this movie. The unique timespan that is depicted in it - which beats Boyhood by a few decades - is really used to give more relief to the characters. Emotions are also not wasted, and feel really real. It rarely feels artificial, and you truly relate to the different characters in many surprising ways. Nolan’s really succeeded in making the story alive - a herculean task given the scope of this movie. Also, it is great that see that humor is really well used to let a little bit of steam out after the more epic scenes.
Hathaway’s character is full of surprise, really one of the best in the movie. Also, I really liked the transmissions from his family to Cooper - it was a great way to show how much time was dilated and how fast his kids were growing.
Engineering issues
Astrodynamics and relativity are well-depicted in the movie, there is no real issues as there are in too many sci-fi movies - thank you Kip Thorne. I couldn’t say the same about engineering and space-flight. The Ranger and Lander are both obviously SSTOs and VTOLs yet they don’t seem to fit the requirements for such kind of ships. Setting the gravity at 1g on the Endurance, by rotating the outer-ring, seems a bit extreme: 0,8g would be more than enough and would put the structure under less strands. There are many scenes where the engineers of the Lazarus program seems to have gone drunk (or missing) and it is bit disappointing. Yet, it shouldn’t hurt too much your experience. What will hurt the experience of the average viewer - who is neither a space flight specialist / enthusiast or a general relativity master - is that really few things are explained. Time dilatation is merely mentioned, not explained, as are many things about dimensions and blackholes / wormholes. I’m afraid that for someone who doesn’t know anything about relativity or the movie beforehand will be a bit lost sometime.

The soundtrack
The score is completely different from the usual work of Zimmer. It is glorious and beautiful. There are three main themes, each more powerful than the other. Most of the movie, there is no background music and then a new piece of the score starts for each intense scene. You will start to hear the organ and as it will be joined by more instruments and as it will get louder and louder - sometimes a bit too loud - you will feel how ominous the score is. The fact that is often so loud that it makes it hard to hear the characters talking will bother some people, but I really liked it. It really makes it feel like suddenly the survival of humanity is at stake and that their is no right to failure. It is threatening and will make you feel tiny in front of the infinity of space, it will make you feel helpless in front of the endless power of elements: it will make you feel the scene like the characters are feeling it.

The first part: the Pledge
The movie is really fast-paced. The 2 hours and fifty minutes will feel shorter than Gravity, because some scenes are really that good. As such, they don’t really spend much time on Earth. The exposition, the various explanations given for the current situation of Earth, are really well-done and rather enjoyable. I was afraid the Earth part would be boring - it is definitely not. In fact it is too short. And here, we hit the gist of the issue with this movie: it is so fast-paced that some parts doesn’t make sense. As the movie main epic theme will start and as Cooper will leave the Earth you will think « Is that it? He is already leaving? ».
Truly, it took him one night to decide he was going to leave. One night. He did not received additional training, and the rocket was literally ready to go for launch next day as he reached NASA. Of course, he was chosen by them. But as a man of science, would it be enough to convince him to leave his family so harshly? An additional ten minutes, with some training and discussions with his family would be greatly appreciated and would make the first part really good, instead of just being good.
The second part: the Turn (not really unfortunately)
Even more fast-paced than the first one, the second part proves to be even more disappointing. I can’t say much without spoiling you, but it’s really here that you will feel the average scenes interweaving with awesome ones - once again, because the movie is too short.
Really? You choose which planet to go to in 5 minutes on a 27 inches whiteboard? It’s no surprise then that you did not guessed before hand that the emitter on the planet was still emitting only because time is slowed-down on the planet… You could have guessed that by thinking for no more than 5 minutes about relativity. Oh, and don’t tell me your radar couldn’t detected this kilometer-high waves as you entered the planet. Really, I am angry about this part of the movie - it is rushed. Then, you kill a character like nothing. Disappointing. The wave scene is hopefully very good, very well done. What happens after is meh - once again, timing issues - but there is some great character development when they get back on the Endurance. The more icy-planet is really good, but the fight between Dr Mann and Cooper is not really good looking. Creating a good fight scene is hard, even more when your characters are in bulky space-suits. The docking scene that follows is one of the best in the movie - I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
The third part: the Prestige
I was afraid by how Nolan would find a way to end the movie. The ending he delivers is really good, it is a masterpiece on its own. You wish the whole movie could have been as good. There is, of course, a scene that is a bit too fast-paced but it is still one of the best piece of cinema I have ever seen. The ending will put a tear on your face - the very first time a movie wretched my guts so much - without feeling artificial at all; and you will wish Nolan had had the budget for an additional twenty minutes, to fix the issues with the first and the second part to make it one of the best movie of all times.

Conclusion
I cannot give by any means a mark to this movie. The first and the second parts are a bit disappointing because they are too short - you will never be bored, that I can assure you. The third part is simply the best piece of cinema I have ever witnessed. It will move you, it will blow your mind away. When the music starts, at various points in the movie, you will see scenes of an intensity that will make you leave the movie tired, as if you had really made the journey across space and time with Cooper. The actors are all very convincing, as are the CGIs and the props. It doesn’t fail at being a good movie, it fails at being a masterpiece. The journey that is depicted is the most ambitious a movie never tried to tell, and while sometimes the movie doesn’t succeed in depicting the journey successfully, when it does it is like being on the best thrill ride ever made. You will feel dread and terror in front of the many dangers the crew will have to face, and you will fell awe in front of what they will find. Interstellar is an uneven movie with moments that are so great they are worth the ticket alone. It is one of the most ambitious movie of all time, and it will not left you untouched: you will praise it or you will hate it but you will feel strongly about it. It’s definitely a must-see, just to feel the sheer power of its most intense scenes.

For me, even if it is flawed, it is the best movie I’ve ever seen.

Hi everyone,
I saw "Interstellar" at the Grand Rex in Paris and here I am to provide my humble 2 cents.
The heavy spoilers are appropriately spoiler-tagged, the rest is pretty safe for who's already seen the trailers or read Empire's article.

A beautiful, messy and crazy ride, "Interstellar" is an epic and refreshingly optimistic ode to human ingenuity.
This is theme-driven filmaking at its best and purest.
Who says a masterpiece must be flawless?
Yes, the film is sometimes chaotic and uneven in its breakneck pacing. Even the quieter, more intimate scene are cut like action set-pieces. If Nolan needs to learn something, it's to linger and savour a bit more. Even the beautiful tableaux of deep space are cut several seconds too short to be assimilated properly. The sense of "wonder" he so often speaks about in interviews relies heavily on contemplation. Nevertheless "Interstellar" offers plenty of wonder to behold despite these pacing (or even editing) issues.

The first part on Earth has the look and feel of a Spielberg 70s movie (think "Close Encounters" which, once again, had a very deliberate pace).
"Interstellar" peaks early on with a brilliant sequence of teary-eyed goodbye between father and daughter, set against the sonic landscape of the best thing Zimmer has written lately (except maybe the strings arrangement in "Girl" by Pharrell...).
The marvel doesn't stop with the following sequence, the first venture into space: the docking at the Endurance orbiting Earth. Silences are indeed deafening. Nolan's camerawork adds to the feeling of dread and impotence. Inside the ship, handheld is the weapon of choice. Outside in space, to catch the cosmic dance of the Endurance and the Rangers, the camera is almost always strapped to something (one of the ships, a piece of equipment, even the space-suit of a character) or panning slowly at its subjects from a distance. The free-floating camera of "Gravity" was indeed impressive and a brilliant piece of filmaking, but it actually felt too safe and choreographed compared to this.
But "Interstellar" is not about space as much as it is about time.
The second act involves a trippy ride though a wormhole, two stops on a water planet and then on an icy world, while simultaneously on Earth we follow Jessica Chastain, great as usual, in a pivotal but slightly underwritten role.
Close encounters with massive tidal waves are nothing compared to the threat posed by time warping (relativity's a bitch) and especially
human weaknesses.
Nature can be frightnening, but not evil, says Brand (Hathaway) at one point.
And by then you already know that the biggest threat to the mission will come from a human character; we just haven't met him yet, but we do soon after in the form of dr. Mann (Damon's mysterious character).
This act is also the most problematic of the three. There aren't any gaping plot holes (but I didn't nitpick "Dark Knight Rises" to death either, so maybe it's just me), it's all about pacing. Here the pacing issues come to the forefront.
In one particular sequence, Nolan tries to insert his signature cross cutting crescendo to middling results, very far from "Inception"'s effectiveness.
Fortunately, Nolan, who I still consider first and foremost a writer and an architect of stories, never loses track of its themes. The biggest misunderstanding regarding Nolan's body of work is that his films are mainly plot-driven. I think they're eminently theme-driven. Theme influences the plot and informs the characters. "Interstellar" is no exception.

Then along comes the infamous third act. Yes, as many critics have pointed out, it's bonkers and abstract... but somehow very consistent with the rest of the film. In the end, theoretical science is still science, though yet unproven. Nolan remains his usual, pragmatic self even when
he toys with notions about a fifth dimension outside of time and space.
Thank God there's no trace of the third-rate mysticism that weighed down the likes of "Sunshine", "The Fountain" and "The Tree of Life".
Nolan believes in knowledge. To him, everything is knowable, everything is within our reach, including the deepest secrets of space and time.
I admit I cringed at Anne Hathaway's monologue about love and its ability to transcend time and space. And guess what, at the end of "Interstellar",
love is what saves humanity.
But, here's the catch, in a Nolan movie even love is quantifiable. Love is a force just like gravity. It may seem irrational, but somehow it can be used, it can be controlled.
And the love Nolan's talking about is selfish, it's the love between a father and a daughter, the kind of love that shuts out the rest of the world and, at the same time, may be the key to save it.

Nolan has said several times that "Interstellar" is a very humanistic movie. That's kind of an understatement. That's why
"Interstellar" doesn't need aliens like "2001". We make our own destiny, plain and simple.
Earth hasn't been the centre of the universe for quite some time now.
But somehow in this day and age, Nolan dares to maintain that humans and humanity still are.
And, according to him, rightfully so.

****1/2/*****

My review. Sorry, is in spanish and can´t translate for you. But is someone is interested...

Yeah, I changed my score.

http://www.vorterix.com/malditosnerds/n ... 2014).html
Bacon wrote:GOOGLE TRANSLATED REVIEW OF NATALIE'S (unknown if spoilers, but tagged just in case and cause it's large):
It is no coincidence that the 'working title' of the new film by Christopher Nolan-that name which usually chooses the director to mislead onlookers during the production stage of their Films- is "Flora's Letter". Flora is the eldest daughter of English director (the only one of four siblings) and there is no doubt that this space odyssey mix possible not very distant reality, science fiction grounded in theories of physical respected certain sociopolitical critique and most simple and primordial relation to humans, is a love letter from a father who only wants the best for the future of their offspring.
Before examining the latest work of one of the most interesting filmmakers who gave us the new millennium-beyond criticism one has (and diehard detractors) can not deny his great expertise when it comes to telling a story- I must clarify that I find it complicated to leave my objectivity aside, though I'll try to do my best.

"Interstellar" (Interstellar, 2014) is not Nolan's best film to date -for me, Memento (2000) continues to hold that position indiscretion-, but it is the most personal, emotional and optimistic without any discussion, and most discussions and will generate mixed reviews over the coming months.
Given the director's obsession for capturing some hyper-reality in his films, the big question that arises is: how can triumph pursuing a science fiction story that borders on fantastic, you should take off our imagination and fascinate, beyond posed very complicated scientific theories?

Yes, "Interstellar" is not for everyone. It's science fiction fledged, based on a scenario that possibly be right around the corner. Here, procedures are thoroughly explained theories, as well. The spaceships and robots are realistic scratching practical minimalism, even planets shown are quite familiar to us, but no longer have an austere beauty, rarely seen on the big screen. Nolan leads us to explore the reaches of space and the ride is so intense and variable as a rollercoaster ride.
As I said, some people will lose the thread with the myriad of data per second and we pull others will be captivated by the hypothesis presented. Although the director does not underestimate the audience, in recent years it acquired the "bad" habit of explaining things. What bothered in "Inception" (Inception, 2010) is repeated here, but the complexity of that small part of the plot, maybe you need it. Nolan is afraid that the public gets to not understand the "theory" and that fear can generate some narrative density "practice".

The film has three distinct acts together and not go into details so as not to spoil anything, but they are three totally different experiences that give meaning to the whole.
Nolan rescues those cinematic stories of science fiction classics he grew up with and influences and homages are noticed (I assume intentionally). From "Alien - The Eighth Passenger" (Allen, 1979) and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" to his favorite: "Blade Runner" (1982) and "2001: A Space Odyssey" (2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968 ), the main idea is to return to the magic of pure family entertainment (this is the least violent of his films) and fascination with the star emblem of the seventies, thanks to the space race, the Apollo program, NASA and more fantastic adventures like "Star Wars" (Star Wars, 1977).
Although "Interstellar" is the most personal film director, is not a project that is completely out of his mind and his sweetheart, Nolan appropriated it and made ​​it his own, imbuing all your winks and known resources.

The project took a few years in development when Chris decided to take charge. The main ideas correspond to the theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, who in 2006 had wanted to bring their own assumptions to the big screen, more specifically, as the spatiotemporal "cracks", also known as wormholes or bridges Einstein-Rosen they can be used to travel from point A to B in the universe, across infinite distances.
Paramount Pictures is liked a lot about the idea and commissioned Jonathan Nolan (brother and regular collaborator Christopher) to write a first draft, to which the kid spent almost four years studying physics at Caltech. The film was "designed" for Steven Spielberg to direct it, but when away for lack of time meant that the project would be boxed for several years.

That's when you go Chris, after ending the trilogy Dark Knight felt "Interstellar" could become their next big venture, the opportunity to bring out your fucking nerd, but also the human being optimistic that always seems to hide behind dark psychological thrillers with a thousand interpretations.
Let us try to explain a little thing that comes without pulling spoilers, obviously. We are in the earth, in the not too distant future, where the armies were disbanded because humans do not have time for war and must concentrate all his forces to survive a very harsh climate and lack of food. The limited technology that is available is in the service of agriculture, meaning that farmers are much more important than an engineer or a starship pilot.

This is Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), a widower with two teenagers who had to stop dreaming and get to the cosmos to harvest corn, one of the last remaining food resources. The guy feels out of place, is a born explorer, an adventurer who, despite loving his family, decides to join a top-secret project that aims to save the people looking for a habitable planet where they can do ranch.
But salvation is not in our solar system. Cooper, experimental pilot, will join a group of scientists led by Dr. Amelia Brand (Anne Hathaway), to venture beyond the boundaries of space and, why not, time, when approaching another galaxy through this strange physical phenomenon known as the wormhole.
And there are the potential saviors of humanity leaving everything on Earth, but hope in a mission that could not only fail, but that does not guarantee their return.
The time marks the pulse of "Interstellar", but also the feelings that constantly get in the "rational" decisions to make the crew. There is good action, a few posts to keep out and special effects that transform it into a visual experience to fall off tubes. But mostly it is a story of fathers and sons (or rather, girls), literal and emotional distances that must be covered.

Nolan turns circling a star cast where no one is out of place, but we must admit that the film is loaded McC shoulder and concluded a spectacular year filled with great performances. The Hathaway is no slouch, Michael Caine could follow floors and stirring up, and so could go with every actor who appears throughout nearly three hours of film, believe me, will fly.
Talking about the technical aspects of a film by Christopher Nolan, it seems redundant. Despite the "simplicity" of the technological aspects shown, the technical team took pains to verisimilitude is never out of hand: no one knows how it is going through a black hole, but after seeing "Interstellar" could swear and re swear they are as they appear on the screen.
The space scenes are a treat for film buffs palate, or for anyone who appreciates the aesthetic above the merely gimmicky. It is spectacular in the best sense of the word, much more when you consider the effort to not use large amounts of CGI or green screen.
Irony and sarcasm that usually appear in the works of Nolan, still present, and often comes hand in hand with the least human characters, a find of the film should be appreciated for yourselves.
I will not hide my devotion to the IMAX format of the highest quality, not only enhances the story, but it takes us a little deeper into this wonderful world it presents. If you want to live a full experience and are willing to pay the cost, do not miss to enjoy each of the senses.

What I liked least, and you have people who do not agree with me, is the soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer which, despite scoring the intensity when needed, is anticlimactic and sentimental most of the time. I think Nolan relied too much on his musician header, this time, wanted to get away from what he usually does and try something new and "retro", but for me does not work. What if moves are the silences that are scattered throughout the film. Moments that make us feel less than a grain of sand in the vastness of space and the screen that absorbs us and leaves us blinking for a moment.
After showing -repeatedly throughout his work, how destructive humans can be, Nolan is sincere, puts optimistic (maybe he grabbed the viejazo) and highlights some of our best qualities. We are creatures of (bad) manners, but in the end we always find the way forward, gives us reason to not to give up and we started a few tears in the process.
SCORE: 9

I am so awestruck right now. I completely understand the criticism but I have to disagree with most of it. Will edit when I can sit down and write.

Regardless, that was the best experience I have ever had at the cinema. Also, in my opinion, it is completely different from anything Nolan's ever made, and it is so difficult to compare it to his filmography. In fact, if I didn't know Nolan made this film, I'm not sure I would attribute it to him. Also, I shed a few tears.

Okay, more to come later

Wow what a great movie. I understand where it comes the criticism, but hey I really love it. Its a great story and the visuals will blow your mind. It will take 2-3 days to analyze everything I just saw.
Great experience an the IMAX dome in Tampa. FL

Score: 9/10

Emotionally and mentally draining. I mean that in the best way possible.

9.5/10 for me.