'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Vesh wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
I won't ask you a million different question, just got 1 more... Can you tell that Wally wasn't here for this? Does Hoytes cinematography have a distinct look and signature to it that looks different?
Hell yes.

Edit: I say this as someone who is obsessed with cinematography. Things like camera angles, focus, camera movement were very distinct in my opinion.
Interesting. I thought some shots in the trailers had color pallets that I dont remember seeing much in Nolan's work, but it's had to tell in a trailer with it being so fast and also in trailers post production isn't finished so things will often look different.

thegreypilgrim wrote:Does anyone else feel like another 30 minutes would not have been a bad thing at all?
I could've done another hour. I think it could've been a masterpiece with maybe 30 more minutes.

thegreypilgrim wrote:Does anyone else feel like another 30 minutes would not have been a bad thing at all?
Maybe not 30, but a lot was rushed.

-Vader

Allstar wrote:Awesome, I have high expectations for Irwin. Surprised you have Gyasi ahead of Hathway and Chastain, interesting.

I've been hearing fantastic things about Damon so that ranking does not surprise me in the slightest.
Yeah, I haven't seen much of Gyasi but he brought a lot of honesty to his character. Was very impressed with him.

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Like what? Aside from one or two instances, I can't think of a hell of a lot more they could have spent more time on.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Vesh wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:
I won't ask you a million different question, just got 1 more... Can you tell that Wally wasn't here for this? Does Hoytes cinematography have a distinct look and signature to it that looks different?
Hell yes.

Edit: I say this as someone who is obsessed with cinematography. Things like camera angles, focus, camera movement were very distinct in my opinion.
Interesting. I thought some shots in the trailers had color pallets that I dont remember seeing much in Nolan's work, but it's had to tell in a trailer with it being so fast and also in trailers post production isn't finished so things will often look different.
Although the color was different, I think it was the least of the differences on cinematography. The framing actually stood ut to me the most. Very different from Nolan's typical fare.

ChristNolan wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Like what? Aside from one or two instances, I can't think of a hell of a lot more they could have spent more time on.
I wanted more of Cooper's departure scene, more of Romilly's ship solitude, and more of the reunion with Murph. Just to lend each a bit more weight.
Last edited by thegreypilgrim on November 5th, 2014, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChristNolan wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
I think this was a product of editing. I thought some of the editing was a bit chaotic in the latter 2/3 of the film. I need to see it again to be sure, I was too engrossed in what was happening to judge.

I actually think it's one of Nolan's better edited films. A lot of creative and unique choices were made, hats off to Lee Smith.
The jump from saying goodbye to his kids straight to launch didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I quite liked that sequence.

Cooper took less time to decide he was leaving his entire family than it takes me choose between brands of chocolate milk.

-Vader