'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
He gave TDKR a fresh. He pointed out a lot of flaws but still liked it. Same with Interstellar, apparently.

Oneironaut wrote:He gave TDKR a fresh. He pointed out a lot of flaws but still liked it. Same with Interstellar, apparently.

Dont know if it's good or bad news

I don't see his review of rises on rt now

hasanahmad wrote:Edelstein from The New Yorker gave it a positive review

He rated the The prestige, Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises and Inception as rotten
lol... really don't know how to comment that one.

Is it just me or are the U.S. reviews downright weird? The British and French ones make sense, but the American ones seem mostly to come with an agenda that doesn't really have anything to do with the film.

A conversation

Aili wrote:Is it just me or are the U.S. reviews downright weird? The British and French ones make sense, but the American ones seem mostly to come with an agenda that doesn't really have anything to do with the film.
Well did anyone else see this at the bottom of Edelstein's review?
Postscript: Christopher Nolan’s movies are defended so angrily (and with such high levels of abusive) on the internet that I find myself grateful for divergent viewpoints, such as this outrageous Esquire U.K. putdown of some of our most beloved cinematic works. I must say that I disagree about the first Matrix movie — I think it comes closer to the spirit of Philip K. Dick than many Dick adaptations. But it’s always fun to throw a bit of snark the Nolanoids’ way.
It's as if some of these NY goons enjoy ridiculing Nolan and his fans if they feel even the slightest inclination to do so. Also the multiple mentions of "Nolanoids" throughout his review was irritating...but at least the review was overall positive, which is more than can be said for most of his past reviews.
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 3rd, 2014, 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

hasanahmad wrote:A conversation

just leave him alone

I don't know how I feel about Edelstein's review being more positive, may not bode well; I mean if Interstellar were to be as horrible as Edelstein thinks past Nolan films are...
Inception
New York Magazine (Vulture)David Edelstein
Inception manages to be clunky and confusing on four separate levels of reality.
The Dark Knight
The novelty wears off and the lack of imagination, visual and otherwise, turns into a drag. The Dark Knight is noisy, jumbled, and sadistic.
The Prestige
The tit-for-tat scenario ought to be wildly entertaining, but the magic is crude, the characters flyweight, and the story protracted and unpleasant.
His most positive that I can find on MC was for Memento which it seems he didn't have the attention span for the whole thing... :lol:
SlateDavid Edelstein
It's scary to have to puzzle out a plot line scene by scene -- scary and exhilarating, at least for an hour.

This is in Denby's review of Theory of Everything which follows the Interstellar review:

"Redmayne is a gentler actor; he was the noble youth in “Les Misérables” who sang, in a fine light tenor, the tear-stained but upbeat “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.” Tall and slender, with freckles and a flattened upper lip, he wears his brown hair in a heavy mop that in this film falls across his forehead to meet enormous black-framed glasses."

And he criticizes the Nolans' writing??? LOL! He must be the only person on earth who finds Eddie Redmayne hot too.

I'm Spaniard, so excuse me if I make mistakes with your language, I'll try to be understatable. I don't know what it's going on with your critics. Today was the first screening in Spain, and reading early comments, reactions and reviews it's clear for me that this is going to be one of the most powerful and ambitious films ever made. Interstellar is being massively acclaimed in my country, with much better reviews than, for example, TDKR. I've just read a review that says, literally, that this one is Nolan's best, reaching 2001: A Space Odyssey's heights, but warmer in spirit and much more emotional. Just brilliant. IN NOLAN WE TRUST! :D