'Interstellar' Reviews Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
john75 wrote: But Interstellar is in a way his first film as an experienced director : it was epic and mesmerizing, but at the same time mature, humble, and very personal. I
I disagree. But for the most part I agree with your post. It was a great film. Beautiful cinematography and amazing acting.

Dodd wrote:
john75 wrote: But Interstellar is in a way his first film as an experienced director : it was epic and mesmerizing, but at the same time mature, humble, and very personal. I
I disagree. But for the most part I agree with your post. It was a great film. Beautiful cinematography and amazing acting.
Rank dodd?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
Dodd wrote:
Rank dodd?

-Vader
I enjoyed Inception, Dark Knight, The Prestige , Batman Begins more than it. On my personal list I have it tied with Memento. But thats just me. Many members have different preferences. Nolan's filmography is so strong that he doesn't really have an agreed upon 'best' film so I can see Interstellar being in many peoples top 3 to top 5 on NF.

Vesh wrote:john75, without spoiling anything, did you see the problem that all the critics have had in the third act. It seems as if this film has drawn a line in the sand and people have some sort of aversion to crossing it.
To me third act was not a problem. It was the climax of the film, like if it reached a point where your mind is totally bended and could not be bended more :p
Most of the critics that didn't like the third act are saying that it is pretentious and not understandable, but I will never agree to that. It was original, and very brave. And even if some parts are complex, it makes the movie even more powerful, because it will raise questions in you. At least that's how I felt like at the end of the film.

john75 wrote:
Vesh wrote:john75, without spoiling anything, did you see the problem that all the critics have had in the third act. It seems as if this film has drawn a line in the sand and people have some sort of aversion to crossing it.
To me third act was not a problem. It was the climax of the film, like if it reached a point where your mind is totally bended and could not be bended more :p
Most of the critics that didn't like the third act are saying that it is pretentious and not understandable, but I will never agree to that. It was original, and very brave. And even if some parts are complex, it makes the movie even more powerful, because it will raise questions in you. At least that's how I felt like at the end of the film.
It was brave, yes. But I feel as though the philosophical and scientific density of it all will alienate many casual movie goers. I just got out of the movie a few hour ago so I'm still taking it all in. I'm not really sure how I feel about it just yet. All I know is McC gives a great performance. :clap:

you guys are doing god's work right now

thank you so much

It's sad how much trolling, sarcasm, and cynicism has infested these forums. One major reason why unfortunately I don't post here very often (on top of my personal dislike of the forum redesign).

SO many of the same criticisms were leveled against Inception by critics and a few audience members, yet Inception did excellent at the box office and a large part of the general audience loved it. So many critics were made to look like fools. Now one thing that people seem to forget is that Inception was divisive for general audiences. Audiences older than 25 had a mixed reaction to Inception, while those under 25 absolutely loved it. Inception's great box office legs were mostly powered by the repeat viewings from the under 25 audience members.

I predict Interstellar will have a similar divisive audience reaction as Inception had. Similar, but different. Maybe Interstellar may turn out to be divisive along gender, or a different age line, who knows. That is too hard to predict.

What I am VERY confident about though, is that a large percentage of the audience will absolutely LOVE Interstellar. There are objectively too many good things about the film for a big part of the audience not to love it. A smaller percentage of the audience will find it very divisive but that won't matter. The large part that loves it will spread word of mouth and lots of repeat viewings will result. Many will go see it out of sheer curiosity even if they don't like Nolan or end up not liking the film, simply due to wanting to be part of the "pop culture conversation". Interstellar is guaranteed to become a big conversation point, and people will not want to be left out of the conversation, just like with Inception.

So no, I don't think the 3rd act, whatever that may be, will "lose" the audience. Maybe it will lose a small percentage of the audience, but most will probably love it *even if* they don't understand it 100%. Many loved Inception without fully understanding the film. Understanding is not a requirement for the audience to love a film.

So anyways, those are my thoughts. I'm REALLY excited to see this, can't wait, I'm excited about the really high praise from certain reviews. My expectations are very high, yet I feel that Nolan will still blow me away.

John and Dodd: my biggest concern before seeing it deals with the "emotional core" of the film. Did you feel like the Nolan went too far trying to add an emotional element (i.e. too many cheesy lines about "love transcending time and space")?

BlackSuit wrote:John and Dodd: my biggest concern before seeing it deals with the "emotional core" of the film. Did you feel like the Nolan went too far trying to add an emotional element (i.e. too many cheesy lines about "love transcending time and space")?

I don't think so, I think that it was very well put. That kind of cheesy line sounds cheesy in a trailer, but not in the film. Yes, the emotional core of the film deals with love and more specifically with the love between a parent and his child. But what Nolan says through the movie is really true-hearted and very well put. Because in the end, he's god damned right : it doesn't matter how far you'll go, you'll still love the people you love the most as if they were standing next to you. It is one of the main ideas of the film, but it deals with a lot of other fascinating ideas such as survival, the search for knowledge, necessity, etc.

john75 wrote:
BlackSuit wrote:John and Dodd: my biggest concern before seeing it deals with the "emotional core" of the film. Did you feel like the Nolan went too far trying to add an emotional element (i.e. too many cheesy lines about "love transcending time and space")?

I don't think so, I think that it was very well put. That kind of cheesy line sounds cheesy in a trailer, but not in the film. Yes, the emotional core of the film deals with love and more specifically with the love between a parent and his child. But what Nolan says through the movie is really true-hearted and very well put. Because in the end, he's god damned right : it doesn't matter how far you'll go, you'll still love the people you love the most as if they were standing next to you. It is one of the main ideas of the film, but it deals with a lot of other fascinating ideas such as survival, the search for knowledge, necessity, etc.
Why do you think many critics, even critics with favorable reviews, found issues with the narrative?