Interstellar: 70mm IMAX Screening Locations

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
taylorimpromptu wrote:
Those lists don't necessarily mean that those theaters will be screening in 70mm (as I have already found out). It's best to simply call the theaters themselves and ask.
Well, firstly, it is a preliminary list. And secondly, it's the only thing we have now. Number of theatres in this list is only slightly higher than those of 50 cinemas, which was announced earlier. I think that not all theaters from my list fall into the official, but practically no one cinema else can fall in the official list.

Lord Shade wrote:Well, firstly, it is a preliminary list. And secondly, it's the only thing we have now. Number of theatres in this list is only slightly higher than those of 50 cinemas, which was announced earlier. I think that not all theaters from my list fall into the official, but practically no one cinema else can fall in the official list.
Well, take the IMAX theater in Austin I called. It's not listed in those links, but they explicitly said they will be projecting Interstellar in 70mm.

taylorimpromptu wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Well, firstly, it is a preliminary list. And secondly, it's the only thing we have now. Number of theatres in this list is only slightly higher than those of 50 cinemas, which was announced earlier. I think that not all theaters from my list fall into the official, but practically no one cinema else can fall in the official list.
Well, take the IMAX theater in Austin I called. It's not listed in those links, but they explicitly said they will be projecting Interstellar in 70mm.
That's probably because they switched to digital, but are projecting only Interstellar in 70mm. This happened to my theater when TDKR came out; they switched to digital but projected TDKR in 70 mm. I think once they update the list, your theater in Austin will read 70mm + Digital (which is what my theater now reads).

taylorimpromptu wrote:
Of course, if we want to fully accurate information, we have to wait for the official list or elaborate in the theatre itself. The official website of your IMAX theater is listed only documentaries in his repertoire. So, you see, it is impossible to conclude that massive sci-fi art film will be shown in the museum's theater that shows only documentaries.

Lord Shade wrote:
taylorimpromptu wrote:
Of course, if we want to fully accurate information, we have to wait for the official list or elaborate in the theatre itself. The official website of your IMAX theater is listed only documentaries in his repertoire. So, you see, it is impossible to conclude that massive sci-fi art film will be shown in the museum's theater that shows only documentaries.
This seems like a similar set up as TDKR release. For that release the majority of theaters that used to project 70mm had been converted to digital (including my theater), but for TDKR they specially made the effort (if they had the capability and were REAL IMAX screens) to project it in 70mm.

The best thing to do is call the theater and speak to the projectionist. That's what I did because my theater was listed as digital around TDKR release and they confirmed they were indeed projecting in 70mm.
Last edited by BoyInterstellar on September 23rd, 2014, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Shade wrote:Of course, if we want to fully accurate information, we have to wait for the official list or elaborate in the theatre itself. The official website of your IMAX theater is listed only documentaries in his repertoire. So, you see, it is impossible to conclude that massive sci-fi art film will be shown in the museum's theater that shows only documentaries.
…unless, of course, you call the theater exec and ask her directly. ;)

I know for a fact that the Mall of Georgia location is digital. However they did switch over to film just for TDKR. But that took me calling and confirming that with them.

Also, was told by Patriot Park IMAX in Columbus, GA that it's not set in stone, but a very high possibility that they will be showing it.

ei18 wrote:Ft. Lauderdale, Fl - Museum of Science and Discovery IMAX (starts screening 2 days earlier on November 5th)
Wow this is great news. This wait is unbearable.

A friendly suggestion for those who are reaching out to theaters directly: if you receive confirmation that a particular theater will be screening in 70mm, let's list the location and name of the theater in bold text (e.g., City, State/Country -- Theater Name) in order to make it easier for others who skim through this thread. :)

taylorimpromptu wrote:A friendly suggestion for those who are reaching out to theaters directly: if you receive confirmation that a particular theater will be screening in 70mm, let's list the location and name of the theater in bold text (e.g., City, State/Country -- Theater Name) in order to make it easier for others who skim through this thread. :)
Good idea, I'll start

Los Angeles, CA -- Universal Citywalk AMC

And when I was up in San Jose earlier this summer, I visited The Tech Museum of Innovation. They have a 70mm IMAX projector (and one of those projection booths enclosed in glass, so you can see the projectionist working and everything), and I was chatting with one of the employees who they said they were getting Interstellar. I don't see it officially on their schedule though, but it's still early. I'll just list it for now, but not in bold yet.

San Jose, CA -- The Tech Museum of Innovation

Also, to clear up some confusion - I know a lot of people's theaters used to play 70mm IMAX, but then installed a Digital IMAX. That does not mean they won't play it in 70mm. Numerous theaters have both digital and film IMAX projectors on a rail system, so they can be switched back and forth. See this picture below:

That's a digital IMAX on the left, and film IMAX on the right. Towards the bottom of the picture, you can see black rails that the projectors slide on. Right now the digital projector is in show position, and when they want to switch it out, they'd just slide it over to the left, and bring the film projector forward into show position.

Only way to know for sure is to call your theater and ask.