Interstellar: 70mm IMAX Screening Locations

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
willyjoel wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:Did anyone who saw the film at the Airbus IMAX Theater in Chantilly, VA have any problems understanding dialogue in the sound mix?
Yeah, I went there last night (8 p.m.) there were moments, specially at the beginning, where the low frequencies were to loud, the subwoofer was to the max making those low frequencies to rumble thru the theater particularly during quiet moments where there was dialog making it difficult to hear, it took me out of the film for a second or two.
Def a lot of LFE. Did you see me? Where did you sit?

MindYourSurroundings wrote:
willyjoel wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:Did anyone who saw the film at the Airbus IMAX Theater in Chantilly, VA have any problems understanding dialogue in the sound mix?
Yeah, I went there last night (8 p.m.) there were moments, specially at the beginning, where the low frequencies were to loud, the subwoofer was to the max making those low frequencies to rumble thru the theater particularly during quiet moments where there was dialog making it difficult to hear, it took me out of the film for a second or two.
Def a lot of LFE. Did you see me? Where did you sit?
Yes! I saw you wearing your Nolan shirt, you were with another person, I was seating three rows from the back, I saw you coming down from the stairs, I was seating on the floor with my earphones!

willyjoel wrote:Yes! I saw you wearing your Nolan shirt, you were with another person, I was seating three rows from the back, I saw you coming down from the stairs, I was seating on the floor with my earphones!
Oh nice! Haha you should've said hi! I sat like 4th or 5th row back on the right...about the same spot I sat for Rises. Did you see the ship? I only caught a glimpse. Damn guard! Hopefully I'll be going again with some more people. :gonf:

Going back to the whole sound mix controversy with this film, apparently the Air and Space Museum in downtown DC has no such problems. So, if you live in the area, that might be the one to go to instead of Chantilly.
@KevinMcCarthyTV 8h8 hours ago
@slashfilm saw it again last night in 70mm IMAX film and there were no sound issues - That was in DC - Screening I saw in LA had a bad mix.

@KevinMcCarthyTV
@DrewAtHitFix @slashfilm I just know that I had trouble hearing some of the dialogue at the LA screening - but no problems last night in DC
For the record, the LA screening he's talking about is the somewhat disastrous one that first screened the film at the Chinese Theatre a couple of weeks ago.

The Regal Mall of Georgia Stadium 20 & IMAX in Buford, GA, which had started out screening Interstellar in 70mm IMAX, has, at least temporarily, switched over to using a digital copy for their IMAX screenings. I at first noticed the change on their Fandango page and then subsequently confirmed it with a phone call to the theater. The nice woman on the other end, without giving any specifics, said that they were trying to get the film back up and running. She seemed stressed so I didn't pry for details. I asked and she did confirm that it is possible that they get the film up and running again. I wonder how many other 70mm IMAX locations will switch over to digital while problems relating to the film prints are ironed out.

Oh God this isn't Good. Opry Mills also delisted their IMAX screening. I hope it's back by the 11th. What a clusterfu*k this is turning out to be.

Im not sure what thread to post this in, but it's an article from the Washington Post about general issues of sound quality issues in modern movies. They brought up a good point I had forgotten: Bane in TKDR and Saito in Inception.

Now I haven't seen Interstellar and I've been trying to keep my reading about it to a minimum because I already feel like I know too much, so the nature of the issues Im not sure - but this may be a good read for you all

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

I just got back from my IMAX 70mm screening moments ago (Metreon 16 show), so I'll weigh in on this.

I can understand the position of those who didn't appreciate the sound in the movie, but I think it's just something that needs getting used to. A good comparison is Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Lots of people didn't like it, but it was a unique artistic decision and I enjoyed it. There were moments of Interstellar when I couldn't hear certain things, but I was always able to understand the point of the scene, or the line. The sound was loud, some might say too loud, but it didn't bother me so much.

The picture had a few specks of dust, looked a little flickery and was sometimes blurry because of the 35mm footage being scaled up (or perhaps because of Hoytema's need to shoot slightly out of focus).
Despite that, the film looked absolutely amazing. The IMAX shots were so good that they alone might be worth the ticket price. It's definitely the most immersive way to see a film, more immersive than 3D BY FAR. And about the projection quality, I personally like seeing little specks of dust now and then. It's charming to me, like a little wave from the film reel :D

I had no problem hearing dialogue in my 70mm IMAX screening, I thought the sound was superb.