Predict Rotten Tomatoes/IMDb scores

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Havoc1st wrote:Does it really matter which one's higher?
Apparently to people on these boards it does. After all, a site where voters rank Inception and Interstellar higher than films such as Goodfellas, Seven Samurai, Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane, and Psycho is obviously very trustworthy.

HorrorBiz wrote:
Apparently to people on these boards it does. After all, a site where voters rank Inception and Interstellar higher than films such as Goodfellas, Seven Samurai, Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane, and Psycho is obviously very trustworthy.
I hate when people bring up such argument to discredit IMDB ratings. The casual moviegoer who votes on IMDB will always prefer films like Inception to Citizen Kane. You can say they have horrible taste if you want but don't just discredit the list because most of those votes are from real people.

HorrorBiz wrote:
As reflected by the Top 250 chart, IMDB is a good mix of high-brow and middle. My guess is the majority of those who rate Inception and Interstellar have not seen the majority of the films you listed, but this does not mean that the site is not credible. If we presume that each and every particular film is rated honestly on its own merits a bias would not exist regardless of whether or not those who rate say Citizen Kane a 10 have seen Nolan's films or vice versa. Now perhaps this assumption is a bit of a stretch...but as someone who has seen four of the five films you listed I personally would consider the rankings in question to be quite accurate with the exception being that Psycho should rank in-between Inception and Interstellar and as I previously noted I feel that Interstellar is the lesser of the two Nolans.

I also have to question how many look past the order of the rankings and actually survey what is on the Top 250 list overall; it's quite an impressive list with a lot of really good films! Nevermind the rankings or the fact that a number of new releases jump onto the list in such short time, as many do not remain there by next year. Yes there are a few suspect films on the list but it's not like the list is being over-run with a load of superhero or YA films like Twilight or even Hunger Games or Harry Potter. It's films like...

Boyhood
Gone Girl
Interstellar
12 Years a Slave
Her
A Separation
The Intouchables
Inception
Toy Story 3
The King's Speech
Shutter Island
Gran Torino
The Dark Knight
WALL-E

and the rest of the list consists of films such as...

The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Raiders of the Lost Ark
It Happened One Night
Some Like It Hot
Psycho
Saving Private Ryan
Rear Window
Raging Bull
The Departed
Unforgiven
American Beauty
The Graduate
The Big Sleep
The Wizard of Oz
The Grapes of Wrath
Stand By Me
The Princess Bride
Touch of Evil
Diabolique (the Greatest Hitchcock film that Hitch never directed)
Platoon
A Beautiful Mind
Memento
American History X
Gone with the Wind
The Maltese Falcon
Good Will Hunting
On the Waterfront
Wild Strawberries
Chinatown
The Apartment
L.A. Confidential
Singin' in the Rain
Witness for the Prosecution
Double Indemnity
Vertigo

It's Hitchcock, Nolan, Kubrick, Scorsese, Spielberg, Wilder, Chaplin, Eastwood, Bergman, Cameron, Coens, Scott, Polanski, Coppola, Capra, Lumet, Wyler, Hawks, Ford, Welles and so on and so forth.

And yes even the cinephile 'holy grail' that is Citizen Kane is on the list, which imo was inexplicably crowned the title of "greatest movie ever made" for so long. I'm glad that Vertigo now holds this title.

lcbaseball22 wrote: And yes even the cinephile 'holy grail' that is Citizen Kane is on the list, which imo was inexplicably crowned the title of "greatest movie ever made" for so long. I'm glad that Vertigo now holds this title.
In what world has anything remotely similar to that occurred ?

Lionheart wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote: And yes even the cinephile 'holy grail' that is Citizen Kane is on the list, which imo was inexplicably crowned the title of "greatest movie ever made" for so long. I'm glad that Vertigo now holds this title.
This one...
Considered by many critics, filmmakers, and fans to be the greatest film ever made, Citizen Kane was voted the greatest film of all time in five consecutive Sight & Sound '​s polls of critics, until it was displaced by Vertigo in the 2012 poll

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Lionheart wrote:
This one...
Considered by many critics, filmmakers, and fans to be the greatest film ever made, Citizen Kane was voted the greatest film of all time in five consecutive Sight & Sound '​s polls of critics, until it was displaced by Vertigo in the 2012 poll
That's....a magazine. A group of film critics. Not even filmmakers , which vote separately. Like other's groups as Senses of Cinema , AFI , Cinephilia , The Cinematheque , etc. There is not exclusivity to that title , much less to Vertigo.

Lionheart wrote:
That's....a magazine. A group of film critics. Not even filmmakers , which vote separately. Like other's groups as Senses of Cinema , AFI , Cinephilia , The Cinematheque , etc. There is not exclusivity to that title , much less to Vertigo.
The Sight & Sound accolade has come to be regarded as one of the most important of the "greatest ever film" polls. Roger Ebert described it as "by far the most respected of the countless polls of great movies--the only one most serious movie people take seriously

Also...
It topped the American Film Institute's 100 Years ... 100 Movies list in 1998, as well as AFI's 2007 update.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:I hate when people bring up such argument to discredit IMDB ratings. The casual moviegoer who votes on IMDB will always prefer films like Inception to Citizen Kane. You can say they have horrible taste if you want but don't just discredit the list because most of those votes are from real people.
And I hate when people argue that argument. Yes, maybe casual moviegoers prefer Inception to CK, but that doesn't make them true movie fans. The problem with the list is that newer hype films are going to get better ratings (especially Nolan's). How many people have seen a classic silent film like Sunrise? Or a classic foreign film like Tokyo Story? Not enough because they aren't on the list because of lack of votes.

lcbaseball22 wrote:As reflected by the Top 250 chart, IMDB is a good mix of high-brow and middle. My guess is the majority of those who rate Inception and Interstellar have not seen the majority of the films you listed, but this does not mean that the site is not credible.
Actually, it does. If people haven't seen enough older movies, especially classics like Citizen Kane, then how the fuck is it credible? Do people vote for every film? Of course not.
Now perhaps this assumption is a bit of a stretch...but as someone who has seen four of the five films you listed I personally would consider the rankings in question to be quite accurate with the exception being that Psycho should rank in-between Inception and Interstellar and as I previously noted I feel that Interstellar is the lesser of the two Nolans.
Fair enough you don't like Interstellar that much, but...

Your opinion =/ Accurate.

Hell, my opinion isn't accurate because they're just that my opinion. It's ridiculous to make a compiled top movies list, because there's always going to be disagreements.

The IMDb top 250 is a highly flawed list that's overblown by fanboys and trolls.