Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Monicabbm wrote:
CoRohr wrote:What exactly is the Hollywood Film Awards? Interstellar didnt win anything, not that that matters since it's not a major award event.
Only to create buzz. A studio pay $$$ for an award for a film, actor, actress ...
Like this?

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:Just curious, if Interstellar does win Best Picture.... how will you react?

**expects a bunch of gifs**
Put on a giant suit of armor and wade back out onto the internet... where a shitstorm of the most epic magnitude will begin.

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:Just curious, if Interstellar does win Best Picture.... how will you react?

I'll be a bit disappointed. I know that a film like Slumdog Millionaire did not deserve to win in 2008 over films like Wall-E and The Dark Knight but rewarding Nolan for a film less deserving (IMO) just won't sit right with me.

I've been watching The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm sorry to those who like it but holy fuck this is the stupidest and lewdest shit. I've liked 20th Century Scorsese but I can't watch this for 3 hours and I can't believe the Academy deemed this worthy of Best Picture consideration let alone acting nominations. :wtf: If having two talented actors act like imbeciles in a movie inundated with drugs and sex and corruption is what's rewarded in Hollywood these days then I think it's best Nolan maintain his decency and dignity and keep doing what he's doing regardless of whether the awards committee approves. I've pretty much lost all respect for the AMPAS not to mention the 77% of critics who gave this film a pass :judge:

I've reached the 2 hour mark and I've had enough...
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 15th, 2014, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lcbaseball22 wrote:I've been watching The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm sorry to those who like it but holy fuck this is the stupidest and crudest shit. I've liked 20th Century Scorsese but I can't watch this for 3 hours and I can't believe the Academy deemed this worthy of Best Picture consideration let alone acting nominations. :wtf: If having two talented actors act like imbeciles in a movie inundated with drugs and sex and corruption is what's rewarded in Hollywood these days then I think it's best Nolan maintain his decency and dignity and keep doing what he's doing regardless of whether the awards committee approves. I've pretty much lost all respect for the AMPAS not to mention the 77% of critics who gave this film a pass :judge:

Umm, maybe this thread is more suited for your comment.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:

I'll be a bit disappointed. I know that a film like Slumdog Millionaire did not deserve to win in 2008 over films like Wall-E and The Dark Knight but rewarding Nolan for a film less deserving (IMO) just won't sit right with me.
A good film is its own reward.

The Academy Awards were invented by the studio heads way back when in order to convince people that Hollywood was a legitimate business of high prestige.

Hitchcock never won for best director, that should tell you all you need to know about the merit of these awards.

Havoc1st wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:I've been watching The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm sorry to those who like it but holy fuck this is the stupidest and crudest shit. I've liked 20th Century Scorsese but I can't watch this for 3 hours and I can't believe the Academy deemed this worthy of Best Picture consideration let alone acting nominations. :wtf: If having two talented actors act like imbeciles in a movie inundated with drugs and sex and corruption is what's rewarded in Hollywood these days then I think it's best Nolan maintain his decency and dignity and keep doing what he's doing regardless of whether the awards committee approves. I've pretty much lost all respect for the AMPAS not to mention the 77% of critics who gave this film a pass :judge:

Maybe, but my comment was in reference to the Oscars and I don't really care now if Interstellar is part of the club if the Academy seriously nominated shit like that, they have lost all credence. Just saying... :P

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:

Maybe, but my comment was in reference to the Oscars and I don't really care now if Interstellar is part of the club if the Academy seriously nominated shit like that, they have lost all credence. Just saying... :P
There are directors who get automatic love from the Academy and critics (whether they deserve it or not: Scorsese, David O. Russell, Tarantino, Alexander Payne, etc.) and directors who don't (that would be Chris Nolan).

People talk about Interstellar being too long, WoWS was at least 90 minutes too long. It started off great (McC being far and away the best part of it), then Scorsese let Leo and Jonah scream themselves into a frenzy for 3 effing hours and it was so repetitive. When you use orgy scenes as filler and not the money shot, you know you're in trouble. There isn't anything to cut from Interstellar (I think it should be longer), but of course all the critics and the Academy suck up to Scorsese and they don't to Nolan. Yawn.

lcbaseball22 wrote:I've been watching The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm sorry to those who like it but holy fuck this is the stupidest and lewdest shit. I've liked 20th Century Scorsese but I can't watch this for 3 hours and I can't believe the Academy deemed this worthy of Best Picture consideration let alone acting nominations. :wtf: If having two talented actors act like imbeciles in a movie inundated with drugs and sex and corruption is what's rewarded in Hollywood these days then I think it's best Nolan maintain his decency and dignity and keep doing what he's doing regardless of whether the awards committee approves. I've pretty much lost all respect for the AMPAS not to mention the 77% of critics who gave this film a pass :judge:

I think it was only nominated because of Scorsese and DiCaprio, I don't think they were happy with this film. If it was five, this movie would not have been nominated in my opinion.
I think it's a good movie. DiCaprio is great IMO.

There are bad movies nominated for Oscars, but there are also good movies, great movies nominated for Oscars. It is not a perfect award, but it is fun.

Aili wrote: There are directors who get automatic love from the Academy and critics (whether they deserve it or not: Scorsese, David O. Russell, Tarantino, Alexander Payne, etc.) and directors who don't (that would be Chris Nolan).

People talk about Interstellar being too long, WoWS was at least 90 minutes too long. It started off great (McC being far and away the best part of it), then Scorsese let Leo and Jonah scream themselves into a frenzy for 3 effing hours and it was so repetitive. When you use orgy scenes as filler and not the money shot, you know you're in trouble. There isn't anything to cut from Interstellar (I think it should be longer), but of course all the critics and the Academy suck up to Scorsese and they don't to Nolan. Yawn.
When has Tarantino ever been nominated for something that wasn't deserving?