Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Monicabbm wrote: We're still in September.
Oh, god, don't remind me.

Well Boyhood is still at 100% on Metacritic with 49 critics counted, so it isn't like it can be easily ignored or another film this year will ever be able to match that score. I think it's likely Linklater will take Best Director but I think Interstellar will take Best Picture.

I listened to the podcast. So Feinberg says Interstellar will probably win Best Picture because it will have the most below the line nominations. They also both point out that Nolan is overdue and that will be a plus for Interstellar. They said acting nominations are important for a Best Picture winner and that big blockbuster movies like Interstellar almost never get acting nominations. They mentioned McConaughey and the fact that the Academy likes rewarding last year's winner with at least a nomination (and both Tom Hanks and Sally Field won back to back Oscars) so he can't be counted out despite the brutal competition in Best Actor again this year. They said the criticisms of Nolan always hinge on the fact that his films are overly technical and lack an emotional punch so a lot will be riding on the fact the actors can "overcome" all the special effects, etc.

The other guy has Unbroken in No. 1 but both of them said, nobody has seen it and they are just basing this assumption on the fact it is such blatant Oscar bait - it could be awful. Angelina Jolie's last film, Feinberg points out, was OK but nothing the Academy was interested in and this is a much bigger film for an inexperienced director.

Gone Girl: while there are a couple of Oscar bloggers pushing it relentlessly (Sacha Stone and Jeffrey Wells), they both said it's good but it's unlikely to attract Academy interest except for the lead actress. They said Zodiac was much better and it got nothing. Gone Girl's got about half of the critics weighing in on metacritic with only a score of 82 (compared to Boyhood's 100). They said Fincher had shown Gone Girl to some of the critics early which they said is an attempt to get better reviews by showing favoritism to certain critics and flattering their egos. I wonder if this has also been done with Interstellar - though neither of these guys has seen it yet.

They both say how Academy members they've met are crazy about Boyhood and it's the picture to beat and Patricia Arquette far ahead for a win in Supporting Actress and Linklater assured of a Best Director nomination.

They weren't really that keen on either Foxcatcher or Birdman (which they have both seen), and which have so far been predicted as having big Oscar potential.

Otherwise, they think Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones have a good shot for nominations (probably not wins though), but don't mention the film Theory of Everything as being in the running. They were cool on Benedict Cumberbatch noting he has a cult following on the internet but maybe not among Academy members.

Selma: they didn't seem very enthusiastic about this one despite its obvious Oscar bait theme. It's still in post production at any rate. They mention David Oyelowo but didn't seem very enthusiastic about his possibilities either.

Guys, isn't it too early? I can see a few technical noms for sure for now. Though many on awards forums call it as Nolan's best chance 8-)

It's so damn early for this. Those people's lists will look vastly different in two months. Interstellar will be one of the big horses in the running for nearly every category.

If "The Prestige Theory" holds true then not only will Nolan win, but he will make Gravity look like a junior high school mid-term project (thought the original score and best director wins were a HUGE stretch) :wtf: . However, like everything in Hollywood, the Oscars are a popularity contest among the small group of powerful people that control the industry. And then there's always the possibility that we're way over-hyping this like I did MOS.

jetsdude wrote:If "The Prestige Theory" holds true then not only will Nolan win, but he will make Gravity look like a junior high school mid-term project (thought the original score and best director wins were a HUGE stretch) :wtf: . However, like everything in Hollywood, the Oscars are a popularity contest among the small group of powerful people that control the industry. And then there's always the possibility that we're way over-hyping this like I did MOS.
That was Zack Snyder… This is one of the best directors alive.

jetsdude wrote:And then there's always the possibility that we're way over-hyping this like I did MOS.
Maybe but there's no way for a Superman movie to have more potential than a sci-fi space movie. Also, Zack Snyder. :facepalm: