Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Interstellar isn't only one of the most highly anticipated films of the year, but it's also set up to be potentially one of the most critically-acclaimed and heavily awarded films as well. Based on this list of Oscar projections by THR's Scott Feinberg, (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/f ... ide-715823) Interstellar is currently a frontrunner for Best Picture and Best Director. Historically Nolan hasn't had a lot of luck during Oscar season (TDK, Inception, etc.).What do you guys think are Interstellar's chances at the big award show this year?

Hmm, interesting thread subject. This hasn't been discussed before...

On a serious note: I have no idea what its chances are. I'm sure it will get plenty of nominations, as for actual wins... who knows, but it will be quite a treat if it does win things like Best Director, Screenplay, Picture, etc. I think it's a bit too early in the game to really go too in depth to this discussion, considering we haven't seen the film yet. But I'm positive once award season rolls around... this will be a hell of a hot topic.

Oh, and we might as well make the following thread now, because it's going to be argued to death in the coming months:

Interstellar V Boyhood: Dawn of Oscar Arguments

I'm guessing Selma, Boyhood, Theory of Everything, FoxCatcher and The Imitation Game have better chances at winning. But what do I know right? Of all these I've only seen Boyhood so far, which is very good though overhyped, and I have no idea how the Oscar race will unfold.

From reading all the Oscar websites, it seems like Foxcatcher is losing steam. I still think it could be nominated. But Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game are similar in many ways and I don't think both will be in the running. They both sound old-fashioned as well and the Oscar pandering may be a little too obvious. Selma, impossible to say. The director is a black woman who has never directed (I think) a feature length film before. If political correctness dictates she should have a shot, it doesn't mean that the film won't be Mandela II from last year.

Birdman is very experimental and might not register. And it's supposed to be a comedy and comedies never win. Same with Inherent Vice. I have a feeling these two will be too out in left field for the Academy.

Gone Girl is a thriller by Fincher who has made (too many?) thrillers already. It is based on a very lightweight book and I find it hard (impossible) to believe it will seriously be in contention. That's just Fincher fanboys' wishful thinking and Oscar bloggers who think the sun shines out of Fincher's (gloomy) ass. Unbroken is I bet an overhyped extravaganza.

Which leaves what? I think Wild will be a surprise entry. It's female centric and Hollywood gets criticized for how few good roles there are for women, particularly as the leading character.

But I think it will wind up being Boyhood vs. Interstellar, David vs. Goliath, etc., etc., etc., no matter how much Oscar bloggers try to pretend otherwise that it will be some triumph by some director they think is hot (and Nolan, we know, they never think is hot and Linklater is too little and modest, they have always ignored both these guys cause Nolan is too big and Linklater is too small). It would be poetic justice if it is the two great directors the Academy has ignored for the likes of David O. Russell, Alexander Payne, etc., who wind up in competition against each other.

Outside of Best Picture, I don't see Boyhood doing well in the other categories. Maybe Best Director and Best Supporting Actress and Best Editing, but not Best Original Screenplay. Foxcatcher is still growing very strong, and will probably get a whole lot of talk once it gets released in Cinemas. Interstellar will be the technical marvel this year, there's no doubt about it, and with enough emotional punch, it could Best Picture, but it is the kind of film that the Academy is a bit iffy about. It does make me feel optimistic since Gravity got 7 awards, but with the stiff competition this year, I can't really see Interstellar reaching even 5. It's going to be very spread selection, and the ones I can see winning big right now is Foxcatcher, Birdman and Interstellar. Boyhood, despite my undying love for the film, only has the factor of time that makes it feel special in the eye of most of the audience, which is very much alright with me, but the only category I can see that playing a factor in best is Best Editing, but I reckon Birdman is going to win that one.

As of now, those are my bets on Best Picture Win:
Foxcatcher
Birdman
Interstellar

But obviously, we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, it's too early to predict but I think Interstellar vs Foxcatcher vs Birdman vs Boyhood is a safe prediction for now. Boyhood has the disadvantage of a very early release but it received universal acclaim so I can easily see it being a huge contender for Picture, Directing and Writing. I believe that Interstellar has a perfect release date so as to be also a huge contender if it's well received. Foxcatcher and Birdman have built hype through festival releases but we don't know for sure that they'll keep it. I don't believe that Imitation Game has any chances for best picture because it won the People's Choice Award in Toronto but Cumberbatch is a clear frontrunner this moment. Also, I wouldn't leave out of the competition Fincher and PTA because they're both important names and you never can tell how those two movies will be received. And, of course, don't forget American Sniper! Clint Eastwood and Bradley Cooper are both loved by the Academy and Clint followed the same pattern (December limited, January wide) with both Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwo Jima.

I think is all between Interstellar and The Imitation Game. Yes, basically Oscar Baity vs Sci-Fi round 2. Obviously, Interstellar is almost certainly going to be more popular than Gravity, and The Imitation Game certainly will be much more popular than 12 Years a Slave. It will certainly be a more exciting race than last year's.

The rest (ranked by BP chances:)

Boyhood
Unbroken
Birdman
American Sniper
Selma
Gone Girl
Inherent Vice

Could have a shot in the nominees list:

The Theory of Everything
FoxCatcher
Wild
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Whiplash

So I was browsing around HitFix's Oscar rankings and saw they had Jessica Chastain at #2 in the Supporting Actress race and so that made me sit up in my seat thinking to put her that high must mean they have heard some very positive things. I asked Kris Tapley (who makes the rankings) and here is what he said:

@kristapley Was going through Contenders section and was wondering why Chastain #2 SA for Interstellar. Hunch or something more?
@StevenMills20 No comment.

This surely reads to me as him saying that people are raving about what she does.

Jaffas85
And Kris, I notice you have Chastain predicted in supporting for "Interstellar". It's an interesting prediction as I've mostly read that her role in "Interstellar" will be too minor to warrant award consideration, so am interested to know whether you've heard from someone close to the production who has stated her role is more substantial?
September 18, 2014 at 3:34PM EST

KristopherTapley
I don't really know where all the "it's too minor" talk came from, but from what I've heard, it could actually be a winner. Take it for what it's worth.
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/a-m ... 6ZqGHZf.99

Monicabbm wrote:
Jaffas85
And Kris, I notice you have Chastain predicted in supporting for "Interstellar". It's an interesting prediction as I've mostly read that her role in "Interstellar" will be too minor to warrant award consideration, so am interested to know whether you've heard from someone close to the production who has stated her role is more substantial?
September 18, 2014 at 3:34PM EST

KristopherTapley
I don't really know where all the "it's too minor" talk came from, but from what I've heard, it could actually be a winner. Take it for what it's worth.
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/a-m ... 6ZqGHZf.99
Yeah I am predicting her since the Hitflix comments. She has way better chances to win than, let's say, McConaughey, and for obvious reasons. Plus, from her comments it seems that she really enjoyed working with Mr. Nolan.