Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
redfirebird2008 wrote:As much as I think he deserves it, I'll be shocked if Nolan gets nominated for Director. Interstellar just doesn't seem like the Academy's cup of tea.
Frankly I think you could argue this either way. I think if you look past the sci-fi aspects it's easily Nolan's most "Oscar bait" film and I think overall AMPAS will react to it more warmly than some critics have. :roll:

lcbaseball22 wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:As much as I think he deserves it, I'll be shocked if Nolan gets nominated for Director. Interstellar just doesn't seem like the Academy's cup of tea.
Frankly I think you could argue this either way. I think if you look past the sci-fi aspects it's easily Nolan's most "Oscar bait" film and I think overall AMPAS will react to it more warmly than some critics have.
I think at it's core this film is about the father-daughter relationship, even more so than some of the scifi aspects. That seems a bit like Oscar bait. Unsure if the Academy will be able to see past the science fiction exterior though...

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Frankly I think you could argue this either way. I think if you look past the sci-fi aspects it's easily Nolan's most "Oscar bait" film and I think overall the Academy will react to it a lot more warmly than some critics have.
It's more emotional than his other movies, but the third act is pretty crazy in terms of the story. Even setting aside the science of it, just the fact that you have a potentially confusing plot will hurt it. Oscar voters in general prefer straightforward storytelling in conventional settings. The King's Speech is the perfect example.

Well, we shall have a better idea how Interstellar shapes up once the Guilds have their input of course. If the DGA in particular nominates Nolan again (perhaps even gives him the win?) I should think the Academy would not want to continue to embarrass themselves, but stranger things have happened...

Dec. 01: New York Film Critics
Dec. 02: National Board of Review announce
Dec. 07: Los Angeles Film Critics
Dec. 08: AFI
Dec. 10: SAG nominations
Dec. 11: Golden Globe Nominations
Dec. 15: Critics Choice Awards Nominations
Jan. 09: Bafta Nominations
Jan. 13: DGA nominations
Jan. 15: Oscar nominations

More details: http://www.awardsdaily.com/awards-timeline/

Monicabbm wrote:Dec. 01: New York Film Critics
Dec. 02: National Board of Review announce
Dec. 07: Los Angeles Film Critics
Dec. 08: AFI
Dec. 10: SAG nominations
Dec. 11: Golden Globe Nominations
Dec. 15: Critics Choice Awards Nominations
Jan. 09: Bafta Nominations
Jan. 13: DGA nominations
Jan. 15: Oscar nominations

More details: http://www.awardsdaily.com/awards-timeline/
Yeah, the guild nominations come later in the season and from that list unfortunately it looks like the DGA nominations fall so close to the Oscar nomination announcement that ballots would have already been due before the DGA announces, but that'll just make the AMPAS look even more like fools if they fail to nominate Nolan on the heels of another DGA nomination.

Anyways, the NY and LA film critics won't tell us much as they only pick a winner as opposed to say the National Board of Review and AFI Best Films of the Year. The former chooses 1 winner and then lists 10 others whereas AFI doesn't list a winner at all it if I recall correctly, just their picks for the 10 Best of the Year. The National Board of Review tends to align less with the Academy making some interesting choices and having a soft spot for Clint Eastwood (ie they have selected basically every one of Eastwood's films stretching back to 2003) though it's interesting to note that while since the Best Picture expansion AFI has selected 7 to 8 films that went on to be eventual BP nominees AFI also tends to have some out of place or more mainstream choices such as The Hangover in 2009, The Town in 2010, Bridesmaids in 2011, The Dark Knight Rises in 2012. Also, note that any British film productions would not be represented here, such as The Imitation Game or Theory of Everything with respect to this year.

The Golden Globe nominations are tricky to say how much credence to lend because of the two picture categories and there isn't always an even mix with the Oscar nominees. The Critics Choice Awards have traditionally been one of the best in aligning with The Academy Awards with 8 in 2009, all 10 in 2010, 9 in 2011 (they even called War Horse, Tree of Life, and Extremely Loud :shock: ) 8 in 2012, and 8 in 2013. :clap:

Kristopher Tapley's recent write-up on In Contention that mentions Interstellar.
Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" played to a disinterested Academy audience the weekend of release and didn't become the box office story it was expected to be (it will be just fine on that score, though — perspective). Also, people across the country can't even hear the thing. It's not a provocative statement to say the film did not get off to the right start and may well be out of the race entirely at this point. So if anyone was breathing a heavy sigh of relief when Ava DuVernay's "Selma" played through the roof last week, it was Paramount. Frankly, they now have a film that could win it all.
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/off ... l-launches

HorrorBiz wrote:Kristopher Tapley's recent write-up on In Contention that mentions Interstellar.
Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" played to a disinterested Academy audience the weekend of release and didn't become the box office story it was expected to be (it will be just fine on that score, though — perspective). Also, people across the country can't even hear the thing. It's not a provocative statement to say the film did not get off to the right start and may well be out of the race entirely at this point. So if anyone was breathing a heavy sigh of relief when Ava DuVernay's "Selma" played through the roof last week, it was Paramount. Frankly, they now have a film that could win it all.
We shall just have to wait and see as there's also been word of Academy screenings very well received. Can't always go by these reports. :roll: We will have a better idea of industry reaction come December...

lcbaseball22 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:Kristopher Tapley's recent write-up on In Contention that mentions Interstellar.
We shall just have to wait and see as there's also been word of Academy screenings very well received. Can't always go by these reports. :roll: We will have a better idea of industry reaction come December...
I like your optimism, but I think it has bled out. It wasn't a knockout or anything like that, but the only real positive buzz in terms of guilds was pre-release hype. I think it was Pete Hammond that said it played well to certain SAG members, but even then, the SAG is not the AMPAS. Quite unfortunate, but not all that unexpected.

Forum Pro
Other filmmakers and actors live the movie so that has to count for something.