Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
The score for The Grand Budapest Hotel is cheerful and perfectly matches the tone with the film; in fact, I think it would be a very different film without it. I barely noticed the score when I watched The Theory of Everything. The Imitation Game had a really nice score as well, but none came close to the creativity or wonderment that Interstellar had.

Shame for Hans but he does have one so if they are in any doubt, I'm glad they give them to people who have yet to win. I'm sure he'll win again in the future as well.

Just wonder when Nolan will finally get his recognition? On the totting up basis, he's got to be due soon surely?!?!

Nolan has plenty of recognition. He has more recognition right now than any of the best Director and best picture nominations in fact. He has more than most Directors ever hope to achieve. The Oscars don't decide who is recognized and who isn't, or well they are a very small percent of that. Besides, his films have won a number of awards... they are aware of him

ComptonTerry wrote:Nolan has plenty of recognition. He has more recognition right now than any of the best Director and best picture nominations in fact. He has more than most Directors ever hope to achieve. The Oscars don't decide who is recognized and who isn't, or well they are a very small percent of that. Besides, his films have won a number of awards... they are aware of him
I meant specific Oscar recognition. Whether we like it or not, it is the most recognised film awards ceremony and the fact he hasn't even had a nomination for director is quite staggering.

Actually it helps his legacy. The great directors ignored are better than those given awards. Same with Zimmer. He'll keep making great movie after movie and in twenty everyone will realize how much he impacted film.

Nolan has had an unprecedented amount of influence on the landscape of big budget and original filmmaking within the last decade. Obviously an Oscar would be nice, but he will no doubt be remembered in the history of 21st century filmmaking.

BlairCo wrote:The score for The Grand Budapest Hotel is cheerful and perfectly matches the tone with the film; in fact, I think it would be a very different film without it. I barely noticed the score when I watched The Theory of Everything. The Imitation Game had a really nice score as well, but none came close to the creativity or wonderment that Interstellar had.
I agree that it matches the tone perfectly and, as you said, wouldn't be the same without it. But matching/enhancing the tone of a movie is essentially the purpose of a score to begin with, and doesn't inherently make it good in its own right. It's functional but hardly memorable. It's there to serve the story - which it does well - but to me doesn't stand out as a character of its own. Even going back and listening to the tracks, there are a couple genuinely beautiful melodies there but I struggle to find anything truly worthy of a nomination, much less a win.

You know a soundtrack is good when you can listen to it separately and it's just as affecting as it is within the film. With Interstellar's, you can feel that Zimmer poured his heart and soul into it. So it's a little disappointing when that creativity gets shut out by something that doesn't feel even remotely deserving. (Side note: Of the Best Picture noms, I haven't seen The Imitation Game or Selma yet. Looking forward to the former's score then). And maybe I'm just partial to less-happy soundtracks, but THIS is fucking carnival/circus music:
[/youtube]
Very good carnival music, but... is that really saying anything?

Nolan's still very young in the directing world. If he continues making brilliant films he'll get his sooner rather than later. Watched all the Best Picture nominees and just watched Interstellar for the 3rd time last night...it's crazy how much more you appreciate it the more you watch it. He's a brilliant film maker, it will come.

Cilogy wrote:Image

Pratham wrote:
Cilogy wrote:Image