Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
lcbaseball22 wrote:Ugh, five tech nominations and only one win?! :roll:

I'm absolutely disgusted by the Oscars these days. As if the Nolan and Fincher snubbings aren't bad enough the top winners are quirky shit like Birdman and Budapest? Come on, at least give Best Picture to something worthy like Boyhood, Imitation Game, Selma. Haven't seen American Sniper but I hear that's really resonated with the public. Birdman on the other hand is the 2nd least viewed winner in Oscar history. The Oscars have basically been an Indie Spirit Award redux for the past few years and one can hope they will fall from grace to the point that nobody cares about them but themselves and the title "Oscar winner" has no impact on a film, performance, etc. At least not until the people's say is being recognized more! :judge:
Any film that wins Best Picture gets an audience boost, and this will definitely help the sales of Birdman on the home video market. I don't think there's any reason to get upset over any of this.

Sky007 wrote:Same solo win as 2001! That's a great sign. :gonf: :clap:
...and The Golden Compass. ;)

HorrorBiz wrote: Any film that wins Best Picture gets an audience boost, and this will definitely help the sales of Birdman on the home video market. I don't think there's any reason to get upset over any of this.
I know that, but I hope they don't because the top 2 winners of the evening are piece of shit films :facepalm: What do they contribute artistically or have to say about life for instance that makes them more worthy than Interstellar, Gone Girl, Boyhood. Or better than some truly fascinating true life character studies?
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on February 23rd, 2015, 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Birdman and Budapest are great movies!

Boyhood is pure crap.

1/5 ain't bad. Dare i say.

I was rooting for Interstellar always but birdman was always the secondd of the year for me close to gone girl so I'm happy and really though we weren't going to get any awards so something is good at least, I completely sure and the fact that birdman won gives me confidence that some year Nolan will win there Best Pic and Director and we all gonna be happy he still has a long career ahead

guys, if you liked birdman, we can't be friends.

i was disappointed but not shocked by the losses in the sound categories. despite being... well, the most innovative and exciting sound experience i've ever had in a cinema, "people had issues with the sound," and i imagine some of those people were the old farts who make up the academy (yes, my theory is that their hearing is going). HOWEVER, i haven't seen all the nominees in these categories, and everyone knows they're minor, so i'm not gonna get too upset.

hans zimmer's loss was absurd. i just feel it's evidence of obviously stupid voting. like... the score for grand budapest hotel is not what's good about that movie. it's a cool film and i like wes anderson. he's twee and campy and funny. his films are beautifully designed and mannered and orchestrated. but let's be real about which film had the most memorable, most impactful soundtrack? i bet you can't even name a song from gbh or hum its melody. with zimmer's score for interstellar, examples spring readily to mind. beep... boop. BEEP... boop. BEEEEEEP... boop. etc. or the song that plays during the docking sequence (i'm humming it right now in my head). my friends and i were chilling out, drinking some beers, and discussing the movie the other night. the conversation turned to the soundtrack, and we all agreed it was sick. as the night wore on and more beers were consumed, we all found ourselves humming the songs from the movie, esp. the docking one. just go listen to it now; you know you want to.

ANYWAY, my point is these songs stuck with people. even people who disliked interstellar remember the zimmer soundtrack. so, as cool a dude as i'm sure desplat is, it seems pretty obvious here that the academy went with the voting strategy of "which of these films do i like the best?" not "which actually had the best soundtrack?"

the visual effects win was of course well deserved. they literally made a black hole. actual scientific discoveries happened as a result of this movie's effects team collaborating with a brilliant physicist. more importantly, interstellar was the among the most stunning visual experiences nolan has ever offered (and that's saying something). that it didn't also win (or even get nominated for) cinematography was frankly offensive. but i'm not even going to into all things it should have been nominated for, lest my boidman rage get out of control.

i don't really mind gbh getting the win for production design. gotta hand it to wes's team on that one.

100. :gonf:

Oscar Ratings Fall Double Digits From 2014- http://deadline.com/2015/02/oscar-ratin ... 201379351/

:twisted:

And finally I just thought I'd quote the creator of the seven years running AwardsDaily simulated ballot (http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2015/01 ... -nominees/) and his thoughts on this year's Oscar result...
ROB Y.
FEBRUARY 23, 2015
HAPPY NEW OSCAR YEAR!!!!!

[singing] Should old AMPAS fuck-ups be forgot and never brought to mind?

Thank god this horrible year is over.

Here’s my ranking of the 87 Best Picture winners (and yes I have seen them all):

1. All About Eve
2. The Silence of the Lambs
3. It Happened One Night
4. The Bridge on the River Kwai
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Godfather Part II
7. The Godfather
8. Gone with the Wind
9. Casablanca
10. The Sound of Music
11. The Apartment
12. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest
13. No Country for Old Men
14. Schindler’s List
15. Unforgiven
16. Rebecca
17. 12 Years a Slave
18. American Beauty
19. My Fair Lady
20. The Departed
21. Titanic
22. Terms of Endearment
23. In the Heat of the Night
24. Ben-Hur
25. Annie Hall
26. All the Kings Men
27. Shakespeare in Love
28. The Hurt Locker
29. The Artist
30. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
31. Platoon
32. Marty
33. Amadeus
34. On the Waterfront
35. Gladiator
36. All Quiet on the Western Front
37. Chicago
38. Patton
39. Tom Jones
40. You Can’t Take It with You
41. Gandhi
42. A Beautiful Mind
43. From Here to Eternity
44. Mutiny on the Bounty
45. West Side Story
46. Midnight Cowboy
47. Mrs. Miniver
48. The Last Emperor
49. Million Dollar Baby
50. The King’s Speech
51. Slumdog Millionaire
52. Forrest Gump
53. Argo
54. Grand Hotel
55. Dances With Wolves
56. The French Connection
57. The Best Years of Our Lives
58. Kramer vs. Kramer
59. A Man for All Seasons
60. The Sting
61. Chariots of Fire
62. The Lost Weekend
63. Hamlet
64. The Great Ziegfeld
65. The Life of Emile Zola
66. Gentleman’s Agreement
67. Going My Way
68. Rain Man
69. Out of Africa
70. Braveheart
71. Ordinary People
72. The English Patient
73. Driving Miss Daisy
74. Around the World in 80 Days
75. Rocky
76. Oliver!
77. An American in Paris
78. Gigi
79. How Green Was My Valley
80. Wings
81. The Broadway Melody
82. Cimarron
83. Cavalcade
84. The Deer Hunter
85. The Greatest Show on Earth
86. Crash
87. Birdman

Yes, Birdman was one of the worst film experiences I have ever had.

I can't believe the Birdman hate. That was really the only movie I saw this year other than Interstellar that left a lasting impression on me. I really loved it and think of the batch of 8 movies nominated for Best Pic it was definitely the most deserving.

But honestly the thing that upset me the very most this year was the lack of a nomination for Hoyt. I've said this before but I'm still pissed about it. He didn't get nominated last year for Her either, and that movie was just gorgeous.

I love an respect Roger Deakins, but there is no way Unbroken would have gotten a cinematography nomination if his name had not been attached to it. There was nothing particularly impressive about how it was shot. It was functional and nothing more. And that's fine. But to get nominated over Interstellar? Good hell...

Birdman was great and Interstellar did fine at the Oscars.