Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I never dare to say anything about sound mixes or anything of that matter, I'm hearing impaired so I rule myself out of that lol.

But not when it comes to soundtracks, my god, Zimmer should definitely win the Oscar for that. It's glorious. Mansell deserves a nom for Noah imo.

Aili wrote:The Nolans, McC, Anne and Jessica are all out campaigning with the Academy! Is it just me, or is the comment about Chris talking to Brad Gray of Paramount about how they've been releasing Interstellar implied criticism?? Warner's has done such a great job internationally.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononho ... s-20141124
She's right, Paramount doesn't market its films in the same way WB does. I think it would have done a bit better domestically if WB handled it, but then again they had domestic distribution on Edge of Tomorrow and that one struggled to make $100m.

Nomis1700 wrote:I never dare to say anything about sound mixes or anything of that matter, I'm hearing impaired so I rule myself out of that lol.

But not when it comes to soundtracks, my god, Zimmer should definitely win the Oscar for that. It's glorious. Mansell deserves a nom for Noah imo.
Yeah, Zimmer FTW.

Nomis1700 wrote:But not when it comes to soundtracks, my god, Zimmer should definitely win the Oscar for that. It's glorious. Mansell deserves a nom for Noah imo.
I think he should have won it for Interstellar instead of Trent (Social Network). I really hope he gets it this time, the stand alone soundtrack is really great but it also complements the movie incredibly well very much in the same way that Inception's did.

I've started looking into various stats and since the dawn of the 21st Century only the following production/distribution companies have produced/distributed Best Picture winning films…

Warner Brothers (3 films – Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, Argo)
Fox Searchlight (2 Films – Slumdog Millionare, 12 Years a Slave)
Weinstein Company (2 films- The King’s Speech, The Artist)
Dreamworks/Universal (2 films- Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind)
Mirimax (2 films- Chicago, No Country For Old Men)
Summit (1 film- The Hurt Locker)
New Line Cinema (1 film- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King)
DEJ Productions (1 film- Crash)

Many of these no longer exist or have merged with larger companies so can we say it’s a foregone conclusion that this year’s Best Pic winner is going to be one of the following…

Interstellar (WB)
Unbroken (Universal)
The Imitation Game (Weinstein)
Birdman (Fox Searchlight)

Yes I know Interstellar is a real long shot since Paramount is actually the main player and they have not done shit since the 90's, but then again Forrest Gump, Braveheart, and Titanic were their WINNERS and I see a bit of each of these in Interstellar :shifty:

lcbaseball22 wrote:I've started looking into various stats and since the dawn of the 21st Century only the following production/distribution companies have produced/distributed Best Picture winning films…

Many of these no longer exist or have merged with larger companies so can we say it’s a foregone conclusion that this year’s Best Pic winner is going to be one of the following…

Interstellar (WB)
Unbroken (Universal)

Yes I know Interstellar is a real long shot since Paramount is actually the main player and they have not done shit since the 90's, but then again Forrest Gump, Braveheart, and Titanic were their WINNERS and I see a bit of each of these in Interstellar :shifty:
Right. We'll just forget about the movies which have real chance of winning - Selma and Boyhood.

Nomis1700 wrote:I never dare to say anything about sound mixes or anything of that matter, I'm hearing impaired so I rule myself out of that lol.

Right now my prediction for nominees would:

Hans Zimmer- Interstellar
Alexandre Desplat - The Imitation Game/Unbroken (or both perhaps)
Johann Johannsson - The Theory of Everything
John Powell - How to Train Your Dragon 2

As of now I see Zimmer as the front-runner, but it is not a clear-shot to the Oscar. He was denied an Oscar nomination last year for 12 Years a Slave despite receiving nominations for almost every other award and I think that has something to do with his work on this film (waiting to reward him for Interstellar).

Unbroken or Imitation Game could turn into Best Picture front-runners (depending on Unbroken's reviews), thus ensuring that the long-overdue Alexandre Desplat rides the coat-tails to his first Oscar win after (what would be his) seventh nomination.

Despite the hype online I don't think Reznor and Ross will win (and honestly still don't think they should have won in 2011 either, but whatever). They only won in 2010 because the Social Network got so much hype. Gone Girl has some, but I don't think it has that level of hype to take a type of score that the Academy usually ignores to the front-runner slot. Heck, they may not even get nominated. Remember their snub in 2011 for 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'? I could very well see a similar situation with either Birdman or Fury taking this slot.

Johannsson is getting buzz, but I don't think TOE is doing well enough to warrant a first-time nominee winning. It is possible, but very unlikely.

Finally I think John Powell will receive a nomination for How to Train Your Dragon 2. People love the first film's score (and for VERY good reason) and the score for the second is just as good. He probably won't win this time, though, since the movie isn't big enough. I'm thinking HTTYD2 will snag Best Animated Feature though from LEGO and Big Hero 6, but Powell won't win for this film. His win will probably come for the third and final Dragons film in 2017 if he manages to match, if not surpass, his previous two soundtracks. Then again, the Academy may feel bad for snubbing him the first time around and give him the Oscar here, which I would honestly be alright with. Last year's ceremony used the first film's track 'Forbidden Friendship' during the Best Score category, which I have seen as an act of creative foreshadowing.

So yeah, Zimmer is the front-runner from where I am sitting. I could be wrong, but we will see. The only other score that I would not mind winning would be John Powell's score for How to Train Your Dragon 2, which was also a very impressive piece of art. And yes, I know Powell is Zimmer's protegee which makes this possible toss-up all the sweeter. :D

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:I've started looking into various stats and since the dawn of the 21st Century only the following production/distribution companies have produced/distributed Best Picture winning films…

Interstellar (WB)
Unbroken (Universal)

Right. We'll just forget about the movies which have real chance of winning - Selma and Boyhood.
Well, Selma could have a chance, but again it's Paramount. As for Boyhood, there are a lot of skeptics, it has no big studios behind it, and it has the curse of being considered the front-runner for most of the year, so I don't see that happening and quite frankly I would not be surprised to see Boyhood miss out on a picture nomination all-together because IFC Films has NEVER had a film in the Best Pic race, IIRC :P

http://www.thewrap.com/interstellar-shu ... her-nolan/
Most awards contenders are already in the hands of voters, but Nolan insists that they see his film in theaters

Awards voters were bombarded with DVD screeners in the days leading up to the Thanksgiving break. It was all part of the annual rush to put awards hopefuls in the hands of Academy, guild and critics-group members who may tote a stack of screeners as they prepare for a long work-free weekend on vacation or with family.

In the week before Thanksgiving, for example, deliveries included “Birdman” from Fox Searchlight, “Boyhood” from IFC, “The Theory of Everything” from Focus, “Gone Girl” from Fox, “Foxcatcher” from Sony Classics and “Inherent Vice” from Warner Bros. Also included were several films that aren't in theaters yet, among them Disney's “Into the Woods,” Searchlight's “Wild,” Relativity's “Black or White” and WB's “American Sniper.”

Among the top contenders that are already in theaters, only Christopher Nolan‘s “Interstellar” is conspicuous in its absence from the screener stacks. (Weinstein's “The Imitation Game” has not sent screeners, either, but it just opened in Los Angeles on Friday.)

But Paramount has gone out of its way to make sure that voters know they don't have to pay to see the film in theaters: On Monday, members of at least one large critics’ group, the Broadcast Film Critics Association, received vouchers good for admission to public screenings of the film in any theaters except AMC.

On Thanksgiving Day, an email from a Paramount awards consultant followed, offering to arrange admission to the voter and his or her “family and friends” to any theater. AMPAS and most guild members are already admitted free to any screening – and for those who don't want to mingle with regular moviegoers, the studio is hosting two private screenings this weekend in Los Angeles and one each in San Francisco and New York.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Nolan's film is avoiding the screener route for now, even though the director's “Inception” sent out screeners in 2010 and “The Dark Knight Rises” did the same in 2012.

Nolan is a notable proponent of the theatrical experience, shooting “Interstellar” for IMAX and giving theaters that show the movie on film rather than digital a two-day head start on the release.

“I think it's much better to have people see it on a big screen [than a screener],” Nolan said this week in an interview conducted for TheWrap's print edition. “That's my theory, anyway.”

He previously sent out screeners during awards season, he added, because those films were released earlier in the year, meaning he'd already had time to prepare the movies for home video.

“We'd never done a November release before – we're usually in the summer,” he said. “So I've only just started doing the video master. And the way my process works, it would be a bit counter-intuitive to be inviting people to watch it at home when it's in the theaters.”

Added Nolan's producer, Emma Thomas, “Particularly given the sort of movie it is. It's very much a big screen experience.”

“I think more than any film we've made, it's an experience as much as a film,” agreed Nolan. “It's very much about trying to take the audience on a ride, and it's a theatrical experience.

“So yeah, we're certainly trying to get people to see it in theaters as much as possible.”