Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
OT much?

If you liked Birdman, watch John Cassavetes' Opening Night and Aronofsky's Black Swan as the stories are so similar, it's surprising the screenwriters didn't thank Cassavetes and Mark Heyman. I hated Birdman. It thought it was trendy and hip and it was empty, superficial and full of the most OTT acting this side of Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman. Plus, Argo and The Artist, two movies about the torments and narcissism of actors already won recently. And nobody remembers either of them. So you can add Birdman to that lot. I understand better why Nolan doesn't get noms now.

Like Chris Nolan, I loved Boyhood and it deserved to win with Interstellar out of the running.

Thank God, it got visual effects but it should have had so much more.

Silence of the Lambs over Godfather I and II, Lawrence of Arabia, etc really? King's Speech over An American in Paris and The Deer Hunter? To each their own, but I'm not sure this guy is the one who s**t on the Academy about their choices. IMHO.
lcbaseball22 wrote:Oscar Ratings Fall Double Digits From 2014- http://deadline.com/2015/02/oscar-ratin ... 201379351/

:twisted:

And finally I just thought I'd quote the creator of the seven years running AwardsDaily simulated ballot (http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2015/01 ... -nominees/) and his thoughts on this year's Oscar result...
ROB Y.
FEBRUARY 23, 2015
HAPPY NEW OSCAR YEAR!!!!!

[singing] Should old AMPAS fuck-ups be forgot and never brought to mind?

Thank god this horrible year is over.

Here’s my ranking of the 87 Best Picture winners (and yes I have seen them all):

1. All About Eve
2. The Silence of the Lambs
3. It Happened One Night
4. The Bridge on the River Kwai
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Godfather Part II
7. The Godfather
8. Gone with the Wind
9. Casablanca
10. The Sound of Music
11. The Apartment
12. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest
13. No Country for Old Men
14. Schindler’s List
15. Unforgiven
16. Rebecca
17. 12 Years a Slave
18. American Beauty
19. My Fair Lady
20. The Departed
21. Titanic
22. Terms of Endearment
23. In the Heat of the Night
24. Ben-Hur
25. Annie Hall
26. All the Kings Men
27. Shakespeare in Love
28. The Hurt Locker
29. The Artist
30. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
31. Platoon
32. Marty
33. Amadeus
34. On the Waterfront
35. Gladiator
36. All Quiet on the Western Front
37. Chicago
38. Patton
39. Tom Jones
40. You Can’t Take It with You
41. Gandhi
42. A Beautiful Mind
43. From Here to Eternity
44. Mutiny on the Bounty
45. West Side Story
46. Midnight Cowboy
47. Mrs. Miniver
48. The Last Emperor
49. Million Dollar Baby
50. The King’s Speech
51. Slumdog Millionaire
52. Forrest Gump
53. Argo
54. Grand Hotel
55. Dances With Wolves
56. The French Connection
57. The Best Years of Our Lives
58. Kramer vs. Kramer
59. A Man for All Seasons
60. The Sting
61. Chariots of Fire
62. The Lost Weekend
63. Hamlet
64. The Great Ziegfeld
65. The Life of Emile Zola
66. Gentleman’s Agreement
67. Going My Way
68. Rain Man
69. Out of Africa
70. Braveheart
71. Ordinary People
72. The English Patient
73. Driving Miss Daisy
74. Around the World in 80 Days
75. Rocky
76. Oliver!
77. An American in Paris
78. Gigi
79. How Green Was My Valley
80. Wings
81. The Broadway Melody
82. Cimarron
83. Cavalcade
84. The Deer Hunter
85. The Greatest Show on Earth
86. Crash
87. Birdman

Yes, Birdman was one of the worst film experiences I have ever had.

Aili wrote:If you liked Birdman, watch John Cassavetes' Opening Night and Aronofsky's Black Swan as the stories are so similar, it's surprising the screenwriters didn't thank Cassavetes and Mark Heyman. I hated Birdman. It thought it was trendy and hip and it was empty, superficial and full of the most OTT acting this side of Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman. Plus, Argo and The Artist, two movies about the torments and narcissism of actors already won recently. And nobody remembers either of them. So you can add Birdman to that lot. I understand better why Nolan doesn't get noms now.

Like Chris Nolan, I loved Boyhood and it deserved to win with Interstellar out of the running.

Thank God, it got visual effects but it should have had so much more.
now this is talking my language. :thumbup:

i actually forgot about argo and the artist so thoroughly that i didn't even make these connections. well done.

Birdman was enjoyable but I don't think it's exactly Best Picture worthy. I also think Boyhood is severely overrated but again, a good movie. Of the nominees that I've seen, I'd have to go with Whiplash. At the end of the day though, let's not forget the Oscars are just a big Hollywood circle jerk that's more about politics and stroking egos than celebrating the movies themselves. Of course we want to see the things we like get the recognition they deserve, but Interstellar at the Academy Awards is kind of like a top athlete being present at the Special Olympics. Winning doesn't really mean anything.

You guys are ridiculous here. Saying Birdman is a copy of Black Swan and Opening Night? LMFAO. I guess Inception is a blatant copy of Paprika and The Matrix.

Seriously, Birdman is one of the more original films in years. I would say it is the most original film of 2014. It is a very unique experience and touches on a bunch of themes that are normally not associated with one another.

It isnt one of my favorites of the year, and from the nominated list, I preferred Boyhood and Whiplash (still need to see Selma), But it is still a very well done film (I can understand why some people may not like it though, but I can never understand why someone would say it isnt original).

My top5 of 2014: Interstellar, Birdman, Whiplash, The Grand Hotel Budapest and Under The Skin.

My top 10 would be:
1) Interstellar
2) The Raid 2
3) Gone Girl
4) The Grand Budapest Hotel
5) Whiplash
6) Boyhood
7) The Guest
8) Locke
9) Nightcrawler
10) Birdman

4 nominated films from my top 10 isn't all that bad. Much better than in 2012 when only Django was worthy of a nomination in my opinion.

With Interstellar not even nominated, I was very pleased to see Birdman win. It was certainly in my top 2-3 movies of the year and loved Keaton and Norton's performances in it. I'd also predicted it would win the Oscar after watching the first 15 minutes of the film; so was nice to be right on the money this year :)

It was the most original and exciting film in those nominations for me and a worthy winner.

I really liked Boyhood but think it was more about the way it was filmed over such a long period with the same actors, rather than it being a brilliant film as such. Ultimately its a somewhat routine family drama where not a great deal actually happens. As I say, brilliant premise and ambition and would have liked to see Linklater win best director perhaps?

Whiplash was also great and was pleased JK and the editor got awards.

American sniper, theory of everything and imitation game were just this years true story dramas and nothing that stood out as being exceptional or ground breaking.

Just watched Birdman to see what all the hoopla was about, I appreciate its ambition, filming stlye, jazz drumming score was nothing spectacular, plot was kind of weak, I get the themes and little conflicts in the story but didn't really grab my attention..the acting was the best part of the movie, keaton good, norton good, watts pretty good, bug eyed young actress was good..I don't know some might see it as some groundbreaking artsy quirky piece of cinema..just not my thing..Im not going to bad mouth it id give it 2.5/5 personally interstellar was much more interesting..the science of it, the adventure, the family stuff which i can relate to and most of all the score was top notch..birdman didn't have the score for me..again I think the score makes and breaks movies not all need a bombastic score..LOTR ROTK was huge it made the movie, star wars on and on I go, now im just blabbing.....