Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
anonymity wrote:So Alfonso Cuaron can win best director and be nominated for best picture with Gravity but Christopher Nolan can't even get nominated for either category with Interstellar??!??!??!???!?

I don't take the academy awards seriously, I really don't. All I care about are the films I love and my collection doesn't necessarily reflect award winning films. Lots of great films never won any awards.

But I just don't understand this logic. I will never, ever understand the Academy Awards. I didn't necessarily expect Interstellar to win best picture or best director but to not get nominated for either category??! I mean c'mon??!!
I am still trying to figure out how the Academy could pass up Cuaron for 'Children of Men' and then nearly a decade later decide they want to shower a lightweight film like 'Gravity' with recognition...

I recorded the Critics Choice Awards but they didn't show Interstellar getting the award?? On twitter they showed a photo of a chair with Chris Nolan's name on it, but afterwards there was a tweet saying Lynda Obst and Mackenzie Foy accepted the award so I guess Chris was too pissed off to go. Which I understand. I'm so effing mad I can't imagine how mad he is.

Aili wrote:I recorded the Critics Choice Awards but they didn't show Interstellar getting the award?? On twitter they showed a photo of a chair with Chris Nolan's name on it, but afterwards there was a tweet saying Lynda Obst and Mackenzie Foy accepted the award so I guess Chris was too pissed off to go. Which I understand. I'm so effing mad I can't imagine how mad he is.
probably gonna be painful for nolan to sit through hipster nonsense getting oscar after oscar too. i have my fingers crossed for his team, but the academy really blew it with this one. i was willing to forgive the dark knight rises snub b/c lots of grumpy old people will just be like "lol superhero movies, i'm not voting for that." but i guess this year they decided to go with "lol sci fi movies" too, apparently giving no real consideration to the film's thematic and emotional depth.

Speaking of the Critics Choice Awards, it seems like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes won over Interstellar for Best Visual Effects. Now I'm a little worried for the Oscars.

Cop 223 wrote:That's a lot of exclamation and question marks for not caring.
The exclamation and question marks suggest that I'm seriously baffled by it. But I'm not losing any sleep over it. I really don't care as in I'm not gonna love Interstellar more or less because of what the oscars say. I am absolutely stumped and confused as to how Cuaron can get nominated for best picture and best director for gravity and Nolan can't for Interstellar. Like WTF?! But do I ultimately care... hell no. Nolan is awesome and Interstellar is awesome... To hell with the Academy.

The Academy is very sensitive to past trends especially in terms of best picture awards.

I don't think Interstellar is worthy of a best picture nomination by a long shot, but I didn't think Gravity was either. Technical acheivements don't make up for lackluster stories.

That being said, with Gravity's win last year there was absolutely no way another visually stunning space adventure would even be in consideration for best picture. It's too close to the same movie.

Also, did anyone see Whiplash?

Its probably the best movie I've seen in the last 5 years. It won't win best pic, but I'm glad to see it nominated and was glad to see JK Simmons get the Golden Globe for best supporting actor. He definitely deserved it.

Do yourself a favor and see it if you can.

Which awards are we going to take home? For sure visual effects right?

Visual effects (70%): almost certain, only Apes has a chance of winning over Interstellar.
Prediction: Interstellar

Production Design (5%): The Grand Budapest Hotel or Into The Woods, my bet is the former.
Prediction: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Score (25%): without the superb Gone Girl score, it will probably go to The Theory of Everything or The Imitation Game.
Prediction: The Theory of Everything

Sound Editing (80%): almost certain as well, but with American Sniper getting all these nominations and the fact that war films always do great at the oscars with winning technical awards, I'm not 100% sure. Prediction: Interstellar

Sound Mixing (60%): with Into the Woods out of the race, I'm guessing Interstellar but with all the controversy around the mix and a war film (American Sniper) (40%) I'm not sure.
Prediction: Interstellar

That's two years in a row that Hoytema was robbed. Her was certainly one of the most gorgeous films last year. I know it's Roger Deakins and all, but nothing about the cinematography in Unbroken was particularly impressive to me. I haven't seen Ida or Mr. Turner so I can't say. Anyway, what a load of crap.

I'm just shocked though. I understand they have said they will do UP TO 10 films for best picture, instead of requiring 10, and that is fine, but it's so odd that with two spots left Interstellar still couldn't make it in.

[sigh]