Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Dragon_316ca wrote:http://www.thewrap.com/interstellar-shu ... her-nolan/
Most awards contenders are already in the hands of voters, but Nolan insists that they see his film in theaters

Awards voters were bombarded with DVD screeners in the days leading up to the Thanksgiving break. It was all part of the annual rush to put awards hopefuls in the hands of Academy, guild and critics-group members who may tote a stack of screeners as they prepare for a long work-free weekend on vacation or with family.

In the week before Thanksgiving, for example, deliveries included “Birdman” from Fox Searchlight, “Boyhood” from IFC, “The Theory of Everything” from Focus, “Gone Girl” from Fox, “Foxcatcher” from Sony Classics and “Inherent Vice” from Warner Bros. Also included were several films that aren't in theaters yet, among them Disney's “Into the Woods,” Searchlight's “Wild,” Relativity's “Black or White” and WB's “American Sniper.”

Among the top contenders that are already in theaters, only Christopher Nolan‘s “Interstellar” is conspicuous in its absence from the screener stacks. (Weinstein's “The Imitation Game” has not sent screeners, either, but it just opened in Los Angeles on Friday.)

But Paramount has gone out of its way to make sure that voters know they don't have to pay to see the film in theaters: On Monday, members of at least one large critics’ group, the Broadcast Film Critics Association, received vouchers good for admission to public screenings of the film in any theaters except AMC.

On Thanksgiving Day, an email from a Paramount awards consultant followed, offering to arrange admission to the voter and his or her “family and friends” to any theater. AMPAS and most guild members are already admitted free to any screening – and for those who don't want to mingle with regular moviegoers, the studio is hosting two private screenings this weekend in Los Angeles and one each in San Francisco and New York.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Nolan's film is avoiding the screener route for now, even though the director's “Inception” sent out screeners in 2010 and “The Dark Knight Rises” did the same in 2012.

Nolan is a notable proponent of the theatrical experience, shooting “Interstellar” for IMAX and giving theaters that show the movie on film rather than digital a two-day head start on the release.

“I think it's much better to have people see it on a big screen [than a screener],” Nolan said this week in an interview conducted for TheWrap's print edition. “That's my theory, anyway.”

He previously sent out screeners during awards season, he added, because those films were released earlier in the year, meaning he'd already had time to prepare the movies for home video.

“We'd never done a November release before – we're usually in the summer,” he said. “So I've only just started doing the video master. And the way my process works, it would be a bit counter-intuitive to be inviting people to watch it at home when it's in the theaters.”

Added Nolan's producer, Emma Thomas, “Particularly given the sort of movie it is. It's very much a big screen experience.”

“I think more than any film we've made, it's an experience as much as a film,” agreed Nolan. “It's very much about trying to take the audience on a ride, and it's a theatrical experience.

“So yeah, we're certainly trying to get people to see it in theaters as much as possible.”
Nice. No leaked screeners too then.

Oscars? Where we're going we don't need Oscars.

Sky007 wrote:Oscars? Where we're going we don't need Oscars.
true dat

Sky007 wrote:Oscars? Where we're going we don't need Oscars.
Well said.

Satellite Awards nominees announced- http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

Considering that group nominated Inception for nine total awards including director, actor, and supp. actress their lack of support for Interstellar could be a bad omen. Maybe the pundits are right...

lcbaseball22 wrote:Satellite Awards nominees announced- http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

Considering that group nominated Inception for nine total awards including director, actor, and supp. actress their lack of support for Interstellar could be a bad omen. Maybe the pundits are right...
The Satellites are so marginal, I don't think they have any influence.

The first reviews for (alleged) Oscar frontrunner Unbroken are coming out. It's at 51 on metacritic (only 4 reviews, but 4 big ones from important reviewers).

I think Interstellar is still in the race.

Aili wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:Satellite Awards nominees announced- http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

True that they don't usually have much influence and they tend to steer more main-stream, it's just a bit surprising considering how supportive they were of Inception, especially with the director and acting nominations, that they didn't see fit to bestow at least one of these on Interstellar as well, whether it be Nolan, McC, Hathaway or Chastian. None of them...? :wtf: I still have hope but to miss with that group even is a bit unnerving... :shifty:
The first reviews for (alleged) Oscar frontrunner Unbroken are coming out. It's at 51 on metacritic (only 4 reviews, but 4 big ones from important reviewers).

Yeah, I've seen that this morning...Unbroken's looming fall from sight-unseen front-runner status could be even bigger than Interstellar's. There was a number of pundits who recently catapulted the film into the first three ranks.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Aili wrote:

True that they don't usually have much influence and they tend to steer more main-stream, it's just a bit surprising considering how supportive they were of Inception, especially with the director and acting nominations, that they didn't see fit to bestow at least one of these on Interstellar as well, whether it be Nolan, McC, Hathaway or Chastian. None of them...? :wtf: I still have hope but to miss with that group even is a bit unnerving... :shifty:

Yeah, I've seen that this morning...Unbroken's looming fall from sight-unseen front-runner status could be even bigger than Interstellar's. There was a number of pundits who recently catapulted the film into the first three ranks.
I just looked on Goldderby, some posters pointed out they didn't nominate McC for True Detective in the TV category but nominated Woody and people like William Macy?? So they're crazy. They lose any credibility they had with that one.

So we're still on for those BP and BD nominations right?

Right?

*kills self*

At this point I'm just gonna root for Zimmer to win his 2nd Oscar after 20 years, 20 F**KING YEARS.