Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
User avatar
Posts: 2318
Joined: March 2010
Location: Texas
lcbaseball22 wrote: We shall just have to wait and see as there's also been word of Academy screenings very well received. Can't always go by these reports. :roll: We will have a better idea of industry reaction come December...
The dream has collapsed. Nothing wrong with that. It was always a long shot.

User avatar
Posts: 8178
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
redfirebird2008 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote: We shall just have to wait and see as there's also been word of Academy screenings very well received. Can't always go by these reports. :roll: We will have a better idea of industry reaction come December...
The dream has collapsed. Nothing wrong with that. It was always a long shot.
Yeah, true.


But optimism is the way to go.

User avatar
Posts: 1017
Joined: June 2012
redfirebird2008 wrote:The dream has collapsed. Nothing wrong with that. It was always a long shot.
Agreed. I don't think this film stands much of a chance with awards, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 836
Joined: January 2014
Nah! Last year Martin Scorsese showed Wolf of Wall Street at an Academy screening and everybody hated it. There were even some people who insulted Scorsese saying his movie was disgusting. He even got acting noms for DiCaprio and Hill (though neither was nominated by SAG which shows their support was weak). Paramount spent an absolute fortune Oscar campaigning for WoWS. Logically, they'll do the same for Interstellar.

Wolf of Wall street only got 75 on metacritic (74 for Interstellar) and that higher score is due in part to the fact that some critics would give Scorsese a 100 if he brought out a film of puppies and kittens. WoWS only made $116 million. But that's a lot compared to most of the other BP nominees except for American Hustle.

Interstellar's box office is going to help too. Nolan's being overdue is going to help. There are too many little Brit biopics this year. They aren't all going to make the cut. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game have lower MC scores than Interstellar.

Plenty of room for Interstellar. I don't think it will win BP, but I'm sure it will be nominated.

Posts: 836
Joined: January 2014
Speaking of Oscar campaigning, in Deadline today:

Oscar Watch: Matthew McConaughey Gets His Star and Spago Lunch As Campaigns Launch Into Orbit

by Pete Hammond
November 17, 2014 7:14pm

If there was any doubt that the Oscar season engine is roaring, events, q&as, screenings and all that jazz is at a fever pitch and it isn’t even Thanksgiving yet. Today’s big moment belonged to reigning Best Actor winner Matthew McConaughey who got his star on Hollywood’s Walk Of Fame followed by a lavish lunch at Spago in Beverly Hills hosted by Paramount Chairman Brad Grey and attended by his Interstellar co-stars Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain , Mackenzie Foy along with director Christopher Nolan and producer/wife Emma Thomas and brother Jonathan with whom he co-wrote the screenplay. Oh, and did I forget to mention Paramount also invited scores of Academy members to celebrate with Matthew? His family including kids and wife Camila Alves were at the ceremony and Alves also came to the lunch and clearly McConaughey was beaming as if he had just won another Oscar ( which by the way Paramount hopes at least there might be another nomination for his superlative work in Nolan’s film). I was happy to be sitting at the table with the McConaugheys along with producer Don Phillips who actually discovered the actor at an Austin bar and got him his first role in Dazed And Confused 22 years ago, Randal and Jeff Kleiser, director Scott Cooper, his The Paperboy producer Hilary Shor, actress Sally Kellerman of Hot Lips M*A*S*H fame ( who McConaughey said he was so excited to meet) and director Gary Ross who told me he is preparing to start shooting his new Civil War drama, The Free State Of Jones starring McConaughey in February. Cooper by the way could be in next year’s race with his Whitey Bulger movie he is currently making for Warners for Fall 2015 release. He showed me a photo of Depp as Bulger and said this may be the performance of his career.

McConaughey could not have been more thrilled to receive the Star and obviously to have his family there. He told me the placement was great too. “I got some prime real estate right in front of Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. It’s very cool, ” he said. At the luncheon Grey offered a toast to his Interstellar star noting that the movie is doing great around the world after only two weekends . “Not that I keep checking numbers,” he laughed. McConaughey I think used the word “bonkers” to describe the worldwide reception so far. After Grey’s toast he offered his own words of thanks to everyone as well as his co-stars in the room. I asked Nolan if he had a Star on the Walk Of Fame. “Actually I don’t ,but I did get the Hand and Footprints treatment at the Chinese Theatre when Dark Knight Rises opened. They rarely do directors and they told me I was probably the youngest to get that. It was a thrill,” he recalled. I asked him what he thought about today’s announcement that Paramount and AMC Theatres are offering a special deal for moviegoers with a ticket they can buy for unlimited screenings of Interstellar, a rather unprecedented idea for a movie (but not for Disneyland). Are they leavinginterstellar money on the table? “Actually no, I don’t think so. If it encourages people to come back multiple times, they will likely be bringing a new viewer with them,” he said of the innovative plan. Actually more than one Oscar voter in the room ( and there were plenty) told me they planned to see it again, so that could be a good sign for its Oscar prospects, even if initial critical reaction was mixed. Of course it was also mixed for Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey when it was released in 1968 but look what happened to that. Nolan said he has spent the weekend doing several Guild Q&As with the WGA, Below the Line guilds and the DGA where he was happy to have Edgar Wright moderate.

Brad Grey told me Paramount should have a great Fall with the success of Interstellar (which the studio has domestically – Warner Bros has international) and the upcoming Chris Rock comedy , Top Five , The Gambler and Selma which after its smash AFI Fest debut last week and last night another screening at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco which both he and Par’s Megan Colligan told me played like gangbusters. It’s clear Selma (Dec 25) is becoming a major awards player for Paramount , even more than anyone expected based on this early reaction. It hits New York tonight.

User avatar
Posts: 1017
Joined: June 2012
Aili wrote:Nah! Last year Martin Scorsese showed Wolf of Wall Street at an Academy screening and everybody hated it. There were even some people who insulted Scorsese saying his movie was disgusting. He even got acting noms for DiCaprio and Hill (though neither was nominated by SAG which shows their support was weak). Paramount spent an absolute fortune Oscar campaigning for WoWS. Logically, they'll do the same for Interstellar.

Wolf of Wall street only got 75 on metacritic (74 for Interstellar) and that higher score is due in part to the fact that some critics would give Scorsese a 100 if he brought out a film of puppies and kittens. WoWS only made $116 million. But that's a lot compared to most of the other BP nominees except for American Hustle.

Interstellar's box office is going to help too. Nolan's being overdue is going to help. There are too many little Brit biopics this year. They aren't all going to make the cut. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game have lower MC scores than Interstellar.

Plenty of room for Interstellar. I don't think it will win BP, but I'm sure it will be nominated.
Christopher Nolan is not Martin Scorsese.

User avatar
Posts: 2554
Joined: July 2013
HorrorBiz wrote: Christopher Nolan is not Martin Scorsese.
Can you prove that?

User avatar
Posts: 4761
Joined: June 2012
Location: Gotham City
HorrorBiz wrote:
Aili wrote:Nah! Last year Martin Scorsese showed Wolf of Wall Street at an Academy screening and everybody hated it. There were even some people who insulted Scorsese saying his movie was disgusting. He even got acting noms for DiCaprio and Hill (though neither was nominated by SAG which shows their support was weak). Paramount spent an absolute fortune Oscar campaigning for WoWS. Logically, they'll do the same for Interstellar.

Wolf of Wall street only got 75 on metacritic (74 for Interstellar) and that higher score is due in part to the fact that some critics would give Scorsese a 100 if he brought out a film of puppies and kittens. WoWS only made $116 million. But that's a lot compared to most of the other BP nominees except for American Hustle.

Interstellar's box office is going to help too. Nolan's being overdue is going to help. There are too many little Brit biopics this year. They aren't all going to make the cut. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game have lower MC scores than Interstellar.

Plenty of room for Interstellar. I don't think it will win BP, but I'm sure it will be nominated.
Christopher Nolan is not Martin Scorsese.
No shit.

User avatar
Posts: 1017
Joined: June 2012
Thedarknight628 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:
Aili wrote:Nah! Last year Martin Scorsese showed Wolf of Wall Street at an Academy screening and everybody hated it. There were even some people who insulted Scorsese saying his movie was disgusting. He even got acting noms for DiCaprio and Hill (though neither was nominated by SAG which shows their support was weak). Paramount spent an absolute fortune Oscar campaigning for WoWS. Logically, they'll do the same for Interstellar.

Wolf of Wall street only got 75 on metacritic (74 for Interstellar) and that higher score is due in part to the fact that some critics would give Scorsese a 100 if he brought out a film of puppies and kittens. WoWS only made $116 million. But that's a lot compared to most of the other BP nominees except for American Hustle.

Interstellar's box office is going to help too. Nolan's being overdue is going to help. There are too many little Brit biopics this year. They aren't all going to make the cut. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game have lower MC scores than Interstellar.

Plenty of room for Interstellar. I don't think it will win BP, but I'm sure it will be nominated.
Christopher Nolan is not Martin Scorsese.
No shit.
If only more people thought like you.

User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: August 2011
Does anyone find it weird that Pete Hammond is the only one who keeps dropping hints of positive awards potential? He is the only insider/prognosticator that has disseminated any positive buzz from guilds or the Acadmey. It's a bit odd, no?

Post Reply