Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
lcbaseball22 wrote:
Law wrote:You guys hoping for nominations, let alone wins, are sure to be in for a let down.
I fail to see how not even 5 percent of the Academy won't put Interstellar at #1 on their ballot. I mean if The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud got in...
Except The Tree of Life was a masterpiece.

11072014 wrote: Except The Tree of Life was a masterpiece.
It's style over substance and half of it is ripped straight from the TV series Planet Earth...
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on November 13th, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

It's an exceptional, beautiful film. Just like this one was.

11072014 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:
Law wrote:You guys hoping for nominations, let alone wins, are sure to be in for a let down.
I fail to see how not even 5 percent of the Academy won't put Interstellar at #1 on their ballot. I mean if The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud got in...
Except The Tree of Life was a masterpiece.
:lol: :lol: It was a nice video reel of pretty scenery.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
I fail to see how not even 5 percent of the Academy doesn't put Interstellar at #1 on their ballot. I mean if The Tree of Life and Extremely Loud got in...
What does that have to do with anything? It's a hard sci-fi movie. Limited appeal to the Academy.

That Hollywood Reporter story was actually fascinating, the way 2001 was trashed when it first came out. I know Blade Runner got terrible reviews and was a box office flop too and Harrison Ford said all kinds of nasty things about it.

I think things are changing about the perception of Interstellar now. There are so many articles about it online. You've got the sites that are systematically trashing it (EW and the Guardian) and then others seem to be throwing a positive light on it. I think some of the critics are worried that they missed the boat and are trying to cover their asses.

I've been checking out twitter the last few days. There is maybe one negative comment about Interstellar 10% of the time or not even. All the French fans are still going berserk over it and McC.

I think the Oscar competition is not that stiff this year. Selma may get in because it's good (or because of political correctness), American Sniper's only got 6 reviews up, but they're important ones and it only rates a 63 on metacritic. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game (supposedly BIG Oscar bait) are only at 70 and 68 on metacritic. And Interstellar is 74 and that's looking pretty good!

The only locks for nominations for Best Picture seem to be Boyhood and Birdman. Resident internet jerk Jeff Wells doesn't like Selma. What else is new? Except the criticisms he makes sound a little believable, like it's political correctness not great art. I guess it will get in, but that still leaves plenty of room for Interstellar.

Aili wrote:That Hollywood Reporter story was actually fascinating, the way 2001 was trashed when it first came out. I know Blade Runner got terrible reviews and was a box office flop too and Harrison Ford said all kinds of nasty things about it.

I think things are changing about the perception of Interstellar now. There are so many articles about it online. You've got the sites that are systematically trashing it (EW and the Guardian) and then others seem to be throwing a positive light on it. I think some of the critics are worried that they missed the boat and are trying to cover their asses.

I've been checking out twitter the last few days. There is maybe one negative comment about Interstellar 10% of the time or not even. All the French fans are still going berserk over it and McC.

I think the Oscar competition is not that stiff this year. Selma may get in because it's good (or because of political correctness), American Sniper's only got 6 reviews up, but they're important ones and it only rates a 63 on metacritic. Theory of Everything and Imitation Game (supposedly BIG Oscar bait) are only at 70 and 68 on metacritic. And Interstellar is 74 and that's looking pretty good!

The only locks for nominations for Best Picture seem to be Boyhood and Birdman. Resident internet jerk Jeff Wells doesn't like Selma. What else is new? Except the criticisms he makes sound a little believable, like it's political correctness not great art. I guess it will get in, but that still leaves plenty of room for Interstellar.
Oh, he's right now?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Jesus Christ...did all the studios decide his birthday was the best day to release a film this year?! :shock:

American Sniper
Big Eyes
The Interview
Into the Woods
Selma
Unbroken

According to Wiki all SIX of those are being released Christmas Day! :o How am I supposed to choose? There's at least three right now (the last three on that list) that I'm looking forward to. I guess wait for the reviews and see what manifests. :judge: Hopefully Santa has some nice presents in store for us...

But not TOO nice :lol: ;)

lcbaseball22 wrote:I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Jesus Christ...did all the studios decide his birthday was the best day to release a film this year?! :shock:

American Sniper
Big Eyes
The Interview
Into the Woods
Selma
Unbroken

According to Wiki all SIX of those are being released Christmas Day! :o How am I supposed to choose? There's at least three right now (the last three on that list) that I'm looking forward to. I guess wait for the reviews and see what manifests. :judge: Hopefully Santa has some nice presents in store for us...

But not TOO nice :lol: ;)
"Watch Selma or else you hate black people."

-Sasha Stone

Monicabbm wrote:
Aili wrote:That Hollywood Reporter story was actually fascinating, the way 2001 was trashed when it first came out. I know Blade Runner got terrible reviews and was a box office flop too and Harrison Ford said all kinds of nasty things about it.

Oh, he's right now?
LOL! Wells is a jerk but a few of the things he said make me think the movie isn't God's gift like a few (especially Sasha Stone) are claiming. Actually, it's really condescending if people give rave reviews to a film for the subject matter, not the execution. I'm sure it will get a nomination but even if it does, there's room for a Best Picture nomination for Interstellar.

I don't think (even if it is really good and I'm skeptical) Selma can win Best Pic. Boyhood's probably got that on lockdown.