Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
She has Nolan for directing but the movie did not even make the cut for Picture?
Heh, that would be like Hitchcock...he was nominated for director for both Rear Window and Psycho but both films were inexplicably missing from the Best Pic lineup.

Wait, does the Academy Awards base the score:

a)From the film
or
b) From the official soundtrack.

Havoc1st wrote:Wait, does the Academy Awards base the score:

a)From the film
or
Neither. It's based on the relationship with the father.

Vesh wrote:
True, but none of those films had a vocal group of critics that said the dialogue and script had major problems. Criticisms like that are death-spell for a film that has Oscar aspirations.
Well, Titanic has been oft criticized for its cheesy dialogue and script and though it won 11 Oscars it was not even nominated for Best Screenplay. :P Now granted Cameron's Titanic was a behemoth and unless Interstellar surprises with incredible legs at the box office it won't have the same clout as the too big to ignore Titanic did, but anyways, there's an example...
Havoc1st wrote:Wait, does the Academy Awards base the score:

a)From the film
or
Hmm, that's a very good question. I don't know, but that could definitely make a difference...

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Well, Titanic has been oft criticized for its cheesy dialogue and script and though it won 11 Oscars it was not even nominated for Best Screenplay. :P Now granted Cameron's Titanic was a behemoth and unless Interstellar surprises with incredible legs at the box office it won't have the same clout as the too big to ignore Titanic did, but anyways, there's an example...
Titanic is actually an excellent example of what Interstellar could be. The problem is, unless a miracle happens, the box office is the main reason why that film succeeded at the Oscars. You are right though, that film has very similar complaints to Interstellar: poor dialogue and and some not-so-well executed melodrama. Critics are a lot more forgiving of that movie than Interstellar though (no surprise there).

Like I said before, I would love if Interstellar could make that kind of splash, but I don't see it. The tone surrounding this film, at least on the internet, is pretty negative. Outside of the raves, even the positive reviews mention significant "flaws". As much as the Academy loves emotional dramas that tug at the heartstrings, I just don't get the impression that Interstellar is making those kind of waves in the industry. I have no idea how praise from people like Edgar Wright, Brad Bird, and PTA actually translate to the rest of the voting Academy. After Unbroken screens, all of the puzzle pieces will start to fall into place. It's only two months till the nominations are announced, and then we can spend all day either celebrating or lamenting what happens.
UnknownVariation wrote:Wait, does the Academy Awards base the score:

a)From the film
or
The Academy most definitely judges the score in the context of the film. I don't believe too many people will knock the score because of the mixing though. I can almost guarantee it will get nominated, but I don't know what its chances of winning are.

ChristNolan wrote:I'll say this. If Hans doesn't win Best Score for his work on this film, it would be an absolute joke. It's seriously the easiest win this year, in my opinion. The only real competition to me would be Gone Girl's score, but even that is pretty much the same ol' Reznor formula. What Hans did with this movie was completely unique to what he's done in the past, and that breath of fresh air deserves to be rewarded.
I want Hans to win but I really don't see it coming.

Vesh wrote: Titanic is actually an excellent example of what Interstellar could be. The problem is, unless a miracle happens, the box office is the main reason why that film succeeded at the Oscars. You are right though, that film has very similar complaints to Interstellar: poor dialogue and and some not-so-well executed melodrama. Critics are a lot more forgiving of that movie than Interstellar though (no surprise there).
I think Interstellar vs Titanic is not a good comparison. Titanic, say what you will about the dialog and melodrama, is leagues ahead in terms of character development and emotional punch. A truly great movie from Cameron. Cameron successfully captured the story of two people abroad an iconic humongous ship, as well as love, dread, panic, and tragedy. It deserved all the Oscars it got.

In any case, with regards to Interstellar, I think Hoyte & the VFX team should be the only ones nominated for Oscars.

^Yeah yeah, we get it already. You don't like Interstellar

Demo wrote:
Vesh wrote: Titanic is actually an excellent example of what Interstellar could be. The problem is, unless a miracle happens, the box office is the main reason why that film succeeded at the Oscars. You are right though, that film has very similar complaints to Interstellar: poor dialogue and and some not-so-well executed melodrama. Critics are a lot more forgiving of that movie than Interstellar though (no surprise there).
I think Interstellar vs Titanic is not a good comparison. Titanic, say what you will about the dialog and melodrama, is leagues ahead in terms of character development and emotional punch. A truly great movie from Cameron. Cameron successfully captured the story of two people abroad an iconic humongous ship, as well as love, dread, panic, and tragedy. It deserved all the Oscars it got.

In any case, with regards to Interstellar, I think Hoyte & the VFX team should be the only ones nominated for Oscars.
Ah! Sigh! And Leo was soooooo dreamy wasn't he? If only he and Kate hadn't been so fat, they could have both fit onto the floating door, huh? Plot hole.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
She has Nolan for directing but the movie did not even make the cut for Picture?
Black Hawk Down received four nominations for best director (Ridley Scott), best film editing, best cinematography and best sound.
Won two Oscars: Best Sound and Best Film Editing