Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Those are Twitter reactions, and they're exactly like the reaction from early screenings of Interstellar; all hyperbolic.

I've come to realize that Nolan won't get his due until he makes something more purely dramatic. I don't ever want him to try to appeal to the academy. He'll keep exploring his own art, and that's exactly what makes him so amazing.

His chances would be higher if goes pure historical drama.

BlairCo wrote:Those are Twitter reactions, and they're exactly like the reaction from early screenings of Interstellar; all hyperbolic.
I think the situation is a little different. These are from Oscar pundits and critics. Holds a little more weight than what was coming out for Interstellar. We'll see though, critics may have something to say about it yet. It sounds like it's executed well enough to get a nominations, in spite of any negative reviews that come out.

Sky007 wrote:I've come to realize that Nolan won't get his due until he makes something more purely dramatic. I don't ever want him to try to appeal to the academy. He'll keep exploring his own art, and that's exactly what makes him so amazing.
I think he just did.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
Sky007 wrote:I've come to realize that Nolan won't get his due until he makes something more purely dramatic. I don't ever want him to try to appeal to the academy. He'll keep exploring his own art, and that's exactly what makes him so amazing.
I think he just did.
That's pretty insulting to him as a filmmaker.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
I think he just did.
Nah, putting emotion into the film wasn't an appeal at the Academy. If he wanted Interstellar to win Oscars, he wouldn't have done any of the time dilation/time travel/5-dimensions. He would have focused on a purely exploratory film with a simple narrative. That would have guaranteed Oscars, but that's not his style

Cop 223 wrote:His chances would be higher if goes pure historical drama.
If the Howard Hughes biopic ever gets made, that will win.

ChristNolan wrote:
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
I think he just did.
That's pretty insulting to him as a filmmaker.
Really? When was the last time Nolan made a film with that much sentimentality even to the detriment of storytelling? Even his pet project - Inception - which was also about a man trying to get back to his children and coming to terms with his wife's death did not have the supersaturated levels of emotions that Interstellar had; characters bursting into tears in every scene and the mention of the word "love" or something related to it in every dialogue.

It is obvious that Nolan was pandering to the criticisms that his films had no heart, not to the Critics since all his films are critically acclaimed but to the only people he has yet to impress - the Academy.
Last edited by MeLVaNoaTe on November 12th, 2014, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

I mean that I wouldn't want him to change how he works to try to appeal to anyone besides himself. Like all of the greats he does what HE wants. And no he did not just try to appeal to them. He made a philosophical and existential space adventure. That's about the farthest thing from what the academy wants. Jut bc it was emotional doesn't mean he was "pandering." Clearly it was a personal film about fatherhood and family to him. Plus Inception was about himself moving on from the dark stuff that keeps coming into his art. Interstellar being a more earnest and emotional film had to do with him growing as an artist. Not pandering.