Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
CornCobb wrote:I'm not sure what most of you are smoking here, but I can't see this movie getting nominated for anything beyond purely technical awards. And I consider myself a Nolan fan.

Here's what I think will happen:
Cinematography nom - but will probably lose to Birdman.
Visual FX nom - probably win
and MAYBE Best Original Score nom (but questionable due to poor mixing)

Other than that I can't see this movie even getting nominated for anything else.

MM's performance was good, not great and he won't win back-to-back best actor awards. Forget about it. No other cast member's performance was worthy of best supporting in my opinion. (With the exeption of Bill Irwin for voicing TARS. But yeah, we all know thats not gonna happen...)

Story wasn't very original and is simply a rehashing and mixing of previously done sci-fi fare.

Script was clunky in parts and downright cheesy in others. No chance here.

Overall, too much cheese, to much sentimentality to get anywhere close to a best picture win. Sorry guys, its just not gonna happen.

I still enjoyed the movie though, its just not oscar-worthy for anything other than the visuals.
:roll:

It's people like CornCobb or Skyab that make me hate the film community at times.

bootsy wrote:
CornCobb wrote:I'm not sure what most of you are smoking here, but I can't see this movie getting nominated for anything beyond purely technical awards. And I consider myself a Nolan fan.

Here's what I think will happen:
Cinematography nom - but will probably lose to Birdman.
Visual FX nom - probably win
and MAYBE Best Original Score nom (but questionable due to poor mixing)

Other than that I can't see this movie even getting nominated for anything else.

MM's performance was good, not great and he won't win back-to-back best actor awards. Forget about it. No other cast member's performance was worthy of best supporting in my opinion. (With the exeption of Bill Irwin for voicing TARS. But yeah, we all know thats not gonna happen...)

Story wasn't very original and is simply a rehashing and mixing of previously done sci-fi fare.

Script was clunky in parts and downright cheesy in others. No chance here.

Overall, too much cheese, to much sentimentality to get anywhere close to a best picture win. Sorry guys, its just not gonna happen.

I still enjoyed the movie though, its just not oscar-worthy for anything other than the visuals.
:roll:
Just wait bootsy...just wait. Feb 22 we will know.

ChristNolan wrote:It's people like CornCobb or Skyab that make me hate the film community at times.
I think people get confused by something never having been done in any scifi format versus something never having been done on film. I get that most of the ideas are not completely new, but nobody has been audacious and bold enough to take such themes and ideas and actually put them on film. It's not small task translating something from a written medium to a visual medium. End rant...

ChristNolan wrote:It's people like CornCobb or Skyab that make me hate the film community at times.
You hate the "film community" whenever it has a different opinion than you?

Sorry I didn't like the movie as much as you bud. I'm sure there are movies I love that you don't. Dudley Do-Right probably being one of them. Classic film. ;)

Honestly, if every member of a community shared the exact same thoughts, it would be a pretty fucking dull community. People are allowed to have differing opinions.

TomsWindow wrote:
Honestly, if every member of a community shared the exact same thoughts, it would be a pretty fucking dull community. People are allowed to have differing opinions.
Theres a difference between having an opinion, and trying to "convince" others they're view on the film is wrong by flaunting your opinion around as absolute truth.

TomsWindow wrote:
Thanks Tom. I agree.

I could totally be wrong on these predictions. I'll eat my words if it wins best picture.

But it won't and I won't :D

ChristNolan wrote:
TomsWindow wrote:
Theres a difference between having an opinion, and trying to "convince" others they're view on the film is wrong by flaunting your opinion around as absolute truth.
Perhaps he went a bit overboard with the "I'm not sure what most of you are smoking here" comment, but for the most part he is just sharing his thoughts, nothing too imposing.