Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Vesh wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:
braungeo123 wrote:My girlfriend, who is not a Nolan fan or a scifi fan, loved the movie, and seemed to think it was a given that McConaughey would win best actor for this. I also think he deserves to win (or at least be nominated). When I said I don't think McConaughey will win best actor because its so hard to win back to back, and might not be nominated, she looked at me like I was insane.
McConaughey is a lock for Best Actor.
Who do you think he pushes out?

IMO, Redmayne is a lock (and frontrunner), Keaton is a lock, Cumberbatch is very likely. After that, it moves into more uncertain territory with Carell and Oyelowo. I think McConaughey's performance is right up there with the top 3, but I'm not sure the Academy will think so (voter fatigue from last year's win and pushback for Interstellar as a whole).

What makes you so sure its a lock?
Redmayne is a lock, but not the frontrunner lmao

Keaton and Cumberbatch are locks too, but I highly doubt Carell and Oyelowo are getting nominated. I don't think the Academy will like the cold nature of Foxcatcher and so far the test screening reactions for Selma haven't been too hot.

MyCocaine wrote:McConaughey is a lock for Best Actor.
He isn't. You'll see.

Neither is the director nomination. Interstellar might squeeze in the Best Picture because there are 10 films nomination right now.

Better chances have the Score, Cinematography, Visual Effects, Sound Mixing etc.

For me TDK was Nolan's best movie to win an Oscar for Picture or Director. If that didn't then no chances for Interstellar (you saw that with Inception too). If Nolan makes a TDK level movie again then he will have solid chances for an Oscar. Anything less than that will not cut it. Maybe if Nolan sticks around in the industry (he is still very "young") and manages constant good movies (till now he did) they will recognize him with an Oscar for a a good movie but not his greatest (see Scorsese and Departed - a good movie but not his best)

JohnConstantine wrote:Maybe if Nolan sticks around in the industry (he is still very "young") and manages constant good movies (till now he did)
Lol is this a joke?

LoneCooper wrote:

Keaton and Cumberbatch are locks too, but I highly doubt Carell and Oyelowo are getting nominated. I don't think the Academy will like the cold nature of Foxcatcher and so far the test screening reactions for Selma haven't been too hot.
I didn't think so, but people we're going gaga for him at the Academy screening of Theory of Everything last week. Things could change though because the films reception has been more lukewarm than people had predicted.

JohnConstantine wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:McConaughey is a lock for Best Actor.
He isn't. You'll see.

Neither is the director nomination. Interstellar might squeeze in the Best Picture because there are 10 films nomination right now.

Better chances have the Score, Cinematography, Visual Effects, Sound Mixing etc.

For me TDK was Nolan's best movie to win an Oscar for Picture or Director. If that didn't then no chances for Interstellar (you saw that with Inception too). If Nolan makes a TDK level movie again then he will have solid chances for an Oscar. Anything less than that will not cut it. Maybe if Nolan sticks around in the industry (he is still very "young") and manages constant good movies (till now he did) they will recognize him with an Oscar for a a good movie but not his greatest (see Scorsese and Departed - a good movie but not his best)
Wtf do you mean "til now he did." Interstellar has gotten plenty of raves. It's basically the same reaction to The Prestige but heightened bc he's more popular now. Don't let some bloggers cloud this film's achievement and reception.

Vesh wrote:
LoneCooper wrote:

I didn't think so, but people we're going gaga for him at the Academy screening of Theory of Everything last week. Things could change though because the films reception has been more lukewarm than people had predicted.
Source?

LoneCooper wrote:
Vesh wrote:
LoneCooper wrote:

Source?
I'm just basing that off what I heard from a friend in the Industry.

Here's what Sasha Stone had to say

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2014/11 ... nges-poll/

I'm not sure what most of you are smoking here, but I can't see this movie getting nominated for anything beyond purely technical awards. And I consider myself a Nolan fan.

Here's what I think will happen:
Cinematography nom - but will probably lose to Birdman.
Visual FX nom - probably win
and MAYBE Best Original Score nom (but questionable due to poor mixing)

Other than that I can't see this movie even getting nominated for anything else.

MM's performance was good, not great and he won't win back-to-back best actor awards. Forget about it. No other cast member's performance was worthy of best supporting in my opinion. (With the exeption of Bill Irwin for voicing TARS. But yeah, we all know thats not gonna happen...)

Story wasn't very original and is simply a rehashing and mixing of previously done sci-fi fare.

Script was clunky in parts and downright cheesy in others. No chance here.

Overall, too much cheese, to much sentimentality to get anywhere close to a best picture win. Sorry guys, its just not gonna happen.

I still enjoyed the movie though, its just not oscar-worthy for anything other than the visuals.

The chances the film is nominated for anything nontechnical is minimal, and the chance it wins anything beyond VFX is zero. This is unfortunate because I think the film is a masterpiece and will become a classic of the genre. Too many factors are working against it though: Gravity receiving so much praise last year, McC winning last year, and the shockingly lukewarm reception its received from critics. Years from now though people will look back and shake their heads at the mistake critics have made with regards to this film.

brickarts295 wrote:Screw it, here are my predictions

Nominations:
Best Picture
Best Actor
Best Score
Best Cinematography
Best Production Design
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

Can't really decide what it'll win until I see the competition but I can easily bet on a win for Visuals and Cinematography maybe even Score.
Now as much as it pains I think Nolan will (once again) not get nominated for Best Director. Script is a bit a tough one to predict specially when it relies a lot on Scientific Theories and what not.
Do you even know what Sound Mixing is?? There were 4 parts where I could not hear dialogue because it was so poorly mixed.