Interstellar Oscar Chances

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I always count a film as being great if I can't stop thinking about it afterwards. I really liked both Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl but I've never thought about them a minute after I saw them and wouldn't watch either a second time. Boyhood I still think about quite a lot. It sort of insinuates itself into your life. If Boyhood wins the Oscar over Interstellar that would be the only film I wouldn't be totally furious about.

Aili wrote:I always count a film as being great if I can't stop thinking about it afterwards. I really liked both Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl but I've never thought about them a minute after I saw them and wouldn't watch either a second time. Boyhood I still think about quite a lot. It sort of insinuates itself into your life. If Boyhood wins the Oscar over Interstellar that would be the only film I wouldn't be totally furious about.
Have you seen Interstellar yet? 'Cause If not, then that comment's just stupid

Nauta wrote:
Aili wrote:I always count a film as being great if I can't stop thinking about it afterwards. I really liked both Grand Budapest Hotel and Gone Girl but I've never thought about them a minute after I saw them and wouldn't watch either a second time. Boyhood I still think about quite a lot. It sort of insinuates itself into your life. If Boyhood wins the Oscar over Interstellar that would be the only film I wouldn't be totally furious about.
Is it ruder on here to tell somebody to fuck off than it is to tell somebody their comment's stupid?

I doubt it. :roll:

Aili wrote:
Nauta wrote:
Is it ruder on here to tell somebody to fuck off than it is to tell somebody their comment's stupid?

I doubt it. :roll:

Vesh wrote:Grand Budapest is hardly a Best Picture contender, but I could never give it a C. I fucking loved that movie.
What is there to love? It was hardly entertaining and not all that funny. :? I guess Wes Anderson is just not my cup of tea....

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Vesh wrote:Grand Budapest is hardly a Best Picture contender, but I could never give it a C. I fucking loved that movie.
What is there to love? It was hardly entertaining and not all that funny. :? I guess Wes Anderson is just not my cup of tea....
I liked Budapest a LOT more than his last two films. But that isn't saying a whole lot. He's so precious and tries too hard and everything is so fake. It's funny he and Linklater both come out of the University of Texas and you couldn't find two more diametrically opposed filmmakers. Wes Anderson's coy little films probably make Linklater throw up.

on a slightly optimistic note

I mean, if Crash can win an Academy Award for Best Picture ...

InterGalactic wrote:A pretty good article on how the Oscar race can pan out. Also shows how sometimes Academy voters don't have the "Balls" to vote against the grain.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... ure-crash/
That is a good article though I disagree about Forrest Gump, one of my favorites and a far better choice than Pulp Fiction. I feel like Interstellar may toe the line between an 'X' choice and a 'Y' choice if it makes the Best Pic lineup. Titanic? This is another interesting article and it's from one of my favorite film sites-

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/early-inte ... ds-season/

Sounds like Brad and the rest of the media will be seeing the film tonight...
As I said earlier this morning, I'll be seeing Christopher Nolan's Interstellar this evening in IMAX. It's arguably the most anticipated blockbuster of the year and ahead of its release was even considered to be a major Oscar contender in a variety of categories including Best Picture and Director (note the use of the word "was"). Now, before the movie has even screened for all critics (tonight's screening is the first all media across the country), it's already being stepped on and not merely based on its quality as a movie, but in relation to its chances at the Oscars, though it can be hard to tell the difference.

The chirping began back on October 27 when The Hollywood Reporter awards columnist Scott Feinberg, who was predicting Interstellar to win Best Picture and Nolan to win Best Director before seeing the movie, posted an article headlined "Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' May Not Be the Awards Juggernaut Everyone Expected". After a bunch of hemming and hawing, Feinberg ends things saying "the suspicion that I had a week ago -- that this film might even win -- is now gone."

That article was posted after only New York and Los Angeles critics had seen the film. A few additional screenings have been held since in both NY and LA, but tonight's all media will be the first time the majority of critics lay their eyes on Nolan's new film, a day before it hits select IMAX screens ahead of its Friday, November 7 release, but the negativity continues to swirl.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
InterGalactic wrote:A pretty good article on how the Oscar race can pan out. Also shows how sometimes Academy voters don't have the "Balls" to vote against the grain.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... ure-crash/
That is a good article though I disagree about Forrest Gump, one of my favorites and a far better choice than Pulp Fiction. I feel like Interstellar may toe the line between an 'X' choice and a 'Y' choice if it makes the Best Pic lineup. Titanic? This is another interesting article and it's from one of my favorite film sites-

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/early-inte ... ds-season/

Sounds like Brad and the rest of the media will be seeing the film tonight...

Definitely an interesting article. Would love to know what he writes after tonight's viewing.