Films that inspire Interstellar

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Can you guys name some films that inspired Interstellar or movies that remind you while reading the script. etc

2001: A Space Odyssey
Solaris
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Star Wars
Contact

Days of Heaven
Alien
Prometheus (at least, technology-wise)
Blade Runner
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2001 A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Grapes of Wrath
Contact
Alien

Alien? People are saying that? I'm curious how... Don't want it spoiled, though.

ComptonTerry wrote:Alien? People are saying that? I'm curious how... Don't want it spoiled, though.
Have you seen the trailer?

ComptonTerry wrote:Alien? People are saying that? I'm curious how... Don't want it spoiled, though.
Nolan is heavily influenced by Ridley Scott. I think Alien will inspire Interstellar when it comes to the vision, the scope and the visual effects. Inspiration doesn't have to do completely with the storyline.

Panapaok wrote:
Nolan is heavily influenced by Ridley Scott. I think Alien will inspire Interstellar when it comes to the vision, the scope and the visual effects. Inspiration doesn't have to do completely with the storyline.
Yeah well I know that. No kidding. But I'm talking about how Alien specifically is an influence because Nolan has been much more influenced by Blade Runner.

ComptonTerry wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Yeah well I know that. No kidding. But I'm talking about how Alien specifically is an influence because Nolan has been much more influenced by Blade Runner.
The point is that both Alien and Interstellar are space sci-fi movies so there will be some kind of inspiration from the one to the other when it comes to the vision and the visual effects, as I said before. Blade Runner is a masterful sci-fi movie but I don't think that it has a lot in common with Interstellar so as to influence it.

Koyaanisqatsi
For All Mankind

These are both non-fiction films but Nolan loves them. The For All Mankind influence is already evident in the photography, and the Koyaanisqatsi influence is evident in the film's subject matter.