Your Theories On What Might Happen

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Starfox wrote:I read the Script:
It's Better than Inception.
-Trust the Fox
The original script was not as good as good as Inception. I think the re-write will be better though.

Panapaok wrote:
Aili wrote:I'm going to hasard a guess at how Cooper is portrayed in the film.
I read the script but can't say a lot jumped off the page other than that he was the "stock hero". Seeing the trailer, I think he'll be portrayed as a shy man, somebody who has been very isolated from society except for his children, very in touch with his feminine (passive?) side as he has had to play both father and mother to his children, marginalized, who maybe has lost confidence in himself through lack of opportunity and bad luck. Somebody who isn't at ease with intellectuals (the scene where he is wringing his hands while David Oyelowo talks to him) and shyly tries to put forward his qualifications as an engineer. Somebody who has to overcome enormous reticence and maybe humiliation to achieve the objective Michael Caine has set for him. That for me is a more interesting trajectory than the superhero who does super-stuff. A man who must fight his own shy nature and his fear.
Very interesting post. I really like the way you thought and I think it's right. Besides, Nolan chose McConaughey because he wanted an everyman, not a superhero. ;)
Thanks!
This only really struck me when I noticed the difference between McC's tone of voice with his kids (where he seems very normal and assured) and the way he speaks to Michael Caine and David Oyelowo (where he seems very unsure of himself). McC is always known for his 'swagger' so this would really be playing against type for him. Then again, so was True Detective. I don't remember the script that well I read it so long ago and don't want to re-read to keep some element of surprise, but I recall Brand bullying him which wouldn't really be believable if McC was playing one of his typical macho characters. In this I think he is sort of a 'country bumpkin' who Brand initially has contempt for being a snob, and then is forced to admit Cooper's a whole lot smarter than she thought he was and a has a whole lot more common sense than she does.

Aili wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Aili wrote:I'm going to hasard a guess at how Cooper is portrayed in the film.
I read the script but can't say a lot jumped off the page other than that he was the "stock hero". Seeing the trailer, I think he'll be portrayed as a shy man, somebody who has been very isolated from society except for his children, very in touch with his feminine (passive?) side as he has had to play both father and mother to his children, marginalized, who maybe has lost confidence in himself through lack of opportunity and bad luck. Somebody who isn't at ease with intellectuals (the scene where he is wringing his hands while David Oyelowo talks to him) and shyly tries to put forward his qualifications as an engineer. Somebody who has to overcome enormous reticence and maybe humiliation to achieve the objective Michael Caine has set for him. That for me is a more interesting trajectory than the superhero who does super-stuff. A man who must fight his own shy nature and his fear.
Very interesting post. I really like the way you thought and I think it's right. Besides, Nolan chose McConaughey because he wanted an everyman, not a superhero. ;)
Thanks!
This only really struck me when I noticed the difference between McC's tone of voice with his kids (where he seems very normal and assured) and the way he speaks to Michael Caine and David Oyelowo (where he seems very unsure of himself). McC is always known for his 'swagger' so this would really be playing against type for him. Then again, so was True Detective. I don't remember the script that well I read it so long ago and don't want to re-read to keep some element of surprise, but I recall Brand bullying him which wouldn't really be believable if McC was playing one of his typical macho characters. In this I think he is sort of a 'country bumpkin' who Brand initially has contempt for being a snob, and then is forced to admit Cooper's a whole lot smarter than she thought he was and a has a whole lot more common sense than she does.

-Trust the Fox
I agree.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
-Trust the Fox
I agree.
Eddieeeeeeeeee :D

James and Phillipa are grown older.

cclem wrote:
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
-Trust the Fox
I agree.
Eddieeeeeeeeee :D
Do we know each other? LOL

I hope we get to see McConaughey face off against an alien in this. Kinda like this...

:clap:

davids wrote:
-Trust the Fox
The original script was not as good as good as Inception. I think the re-write will be better though.
I agree. Honestly, the script sucks. Very generic and very straightforward. No tension, no nothing. Things just happen and it's the end. Inception was a great script. Let's just say, there's a reason Nolan rewrote the Interstellar draft.

chocoboba wrote:I agree. Honestly, the script sucks. Very generic and very straightforward. No tension, no nothing. Things just happen and it's the end. Inception was a great script. Let's just say, there's a reason Nolan rewrote the Interstellar draft.
No it doesn't suck. But I agree that Inception was better. Anyway, I am sure that Chris added some new things.