What if Interstellar is disappointing?

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I actually think a lot of people - who normally like Nolan - will be disappointed.

People who expect some "sick" action movie especially. The new trailer seems to focus mostly on Cooper's family life. I think it will be more of a drama than people expect.

Insomniac wrote:I actually think a lot of people - who normally like Nolan - will be disappointed.

People who expect some "sick" action movie especially. The new trailer seems to focus mostly on Cooper's family life. I think it will be more of a drama than people expect.
I'm sorry but that doesn't ring true to me. Trailer is not an actual representation of the movie itself, of course, it's merely a tease. And whatever 'sick' action implies, I'm sure most of the audience felt that Inception was both refreshing and exciting in that area, same goes for TDK/TDKR... Now put that sense of the unknown and thrilling in space and you got yourself a nice 'sick' action movie.

This isn't an action movie. TIE fighters aren't going to come out of nowhere and shoot at the spaceship with a BRMMMM Zimmer score in the background. The Inception example doesn't apply, that was a heist film so of course there would be pow pow action in that. And naturally the same with Batman. This is more in the vein of Close Encounters, me thinks. It's obvious Nolan is going for a very humanistic emotional approach with this film, which is why he casted McC.

Expect Close Encounters, not James Bond in space. That's the mentality you should have going in when you see the film.

I expect something of a mixture of Solaris, 2001 and Close Encounters.

ChristNolan wrote:This isn't an action movie. TIE fighters aren't going to come out of nowhere and shoot at the spaceship with a BRMMMM Zimmer score in the background. The Inception example doesn't apply, that was a heist film so of course there would be pow pow action in that. And naturally the same with Batman. This is more in the vein of Close Encounters, me thinks. It's obvious Nolan is going for a very humanistic emotional approach with this film, which is why he casted McC.

Expect Close Encounters, not James Bond in space. That's the mentality you should have going in when you see the film.
Of course it implies if... should I really go into spoilery waters to describe how both exciting and action-y a space movie can be? Close Encounters were set on Earth; here, if they're entering a wormhole, or god knows what unknown space anomaly, you can expect edge-of-the set imagery and sound design. It's going to have all of it.

@Blair, don't forget CONTACT, lots of that too.

Oh no doubt there will be some form of action-y goodness in the film. I'm expecting natural occurrences to supply the opposing force, rather say alien beings or something. Space is fucking dangerous, and when you add in deep unknown space with wormhole travel??

Nolan only knows what could happen.

Nah I don't think we will be disappointed. We are too blind as NolanFans (at least I am). Disappointment will only come later, like a year from release.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed if I force myself not to imagine how I would like the whole movie to turn out.
That's what I did with Inception and it lead to it being sort of a personal letdown...

I'm quite positive that Nolan is mentally unable to make a bad movie per se, though. Even Insomnia, which people find to be his 'worst' movie, is actually great.

Only people who have unrealistically high expectations for the movie will be disappointed.

BlairCo wrote:I expect something of a mixture of Solaris, 2001 and Close Encounters.
Yeah I think if you mix those you can get a taste of what the movie is about. I think it's going to be heavily influenced by 2001 when it comes to the scope and the vision but with a more humanistic and emotional approach.
Last edited by Panapaok on May 13th, 2014, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.