"We shot it like a documentary"

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I read that Nolan has said he shot Interstellar like a documentary. Would you say that this will diminish the impact of the new technology used for its special effects? Does this mean it will have fewer special effects than I might expect? What I'm questioning is
if he's simply going to say that going through wormholes will do things to time, where the main character's children will grow up and die without even seeing the main character one more time, etc. and that Nolan will be "story-driven" and focus mainly on this type of story going out into space and watching video logs of the children, etc. - focusing on this, which is supposed to be "story-driven", and we won't get to see spectacular sci-fi special effects for a wormhole movie - is it possible that Nolan will let down the "popcorn sci-fi" movie crowd? Or, can he have such a great balance/combination of all of this stuff to please most all sci-fi fans?
Last edited by DoubleD on April 20th, 2014, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please remember to use spoiler tags.

Please don't tell me those were actual spoilers I just glanced at.

I don't think he meant it literally, like Europa Report. Like Starfox said, I think he's referring to the realism that is captured within a Documentary.

If it has a sort of Zodiac feel that's gonna be incredible.