Interstellar Box Office Predictions

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Posts: 16
Joined: January 2015
So i have a question with that list in mind.

How prevalent will original stories be in the future in regard to worldwide realises.

Will they be no existent?

Will Nolan be the only director to risk original material, or will he also be too economically compromised to take risks?

If Nolan isn't doing the films he wants then what is he doing smaller films, comics, games, tv???

Could you start to see large Nolan film projects funded by the fans(kickstarter campaigns.)

:?:

User avatar
Posts: 8122
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
I'm pretty sure Nolan is a risk taker, and of course Nolan does films that he wants.

Kickstarter? Nah.

Posts: 356
Joined: November 2014
Pr0creation wrote:So i have a question with that list in mind.

How prevalent will original stories be in the future in regard to worldwide realises.

Will they be no existent?

Will Nolan be the only director to risk original material, or will he also be too economically compromised to take risks?

If Nolan isn't doing the films he wants then what is he doing smaller films, comics, games, tv???

Could you start to see large Nolan film projects funded by the fans(kickstarter campaigns.)

:?:
Part of me thinks that no matter how watered-down Hollywood becomes in the near future, Nolan is going to be given more free reign so long as he keeps producing decent-sized hits. The fact that Interstellar is in the only non-3D film in the top 10 speaks more of the state of cinema today than the financial "disappointment" of Interstellar.

Also Nolan as a filmmaker is very firm in his principles regarding how and what he films, so I do not think he would stand too much restraint and interference in his films by higher-ups. Heck, I could see him leaving Hollywood if he feels like he can't make the types of movies that he wants. Either that, or he would expand Syncopy Films to become a more competitive production company and grant more artistic freedom to filmmakers.

User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: January 2013
nightfury93 wrote:
Pr0creation wrote:So i have a question with that list in mind.

How prevalent will original stories be in the future in regard to worldwide realises.

Will they be no existent?

Will Nolan be the only director to risk original material, or will he also be too economically compromised to take risks?

If Nolan isn't doing the films he wants then what is he doing smaller films, comics, games, tv???

Could you start to see large Nolan film projects funded by the fans(kickstarter campaigns.)

:?:
Part of me thinks that no matter how watered-down Hollywood becomes in the near future, Nolan is going to be given more free reign so long as he keeps producing decent-sized hits. The fact that Interstellar is in the only non-3D film in the top 10 speaks more of the state of cinema today than the financial "disappointment" of Interstellar.

Also Nolan as a filmmaker is very firm in his principles regarding how and what he films, so I do not think he would stand too much restraint and interference in his films by higher-ups. Heck, I could see him leaving Hollywood if he feels like he can't make the types of movies that he wants. Either that, or he would expand Syncopy Films to become a more competitive production company and grant more artistic freedom to filmmakers.
Nolan has spoken on multiple occasions about how happy he is with Warner Bro, and it's clear that they are very happy with him. Even if the industry trends in one direction Nolan's films will still do well BECAUSE he is not moving with the trends, and because he makes good movies.

And I love Nolan as much as anyone else, but let's not pretend he is the master of ORIGINAL films. This thread has talked repeatedly about how all the other top grossing movies this year are from some sort of existing intellectual property. Nolan has only directed two movies that were original screenplays (ok, Following, so three). The Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento are movies like unto something Mr David Fincher puts out and he is actually seeing stronger box office returns with his more recent films. Even though his movies as of late haven't been original, I put his work far above most of the higher grossing franchise/remake/sequel stuff. People like Fincher and Nolan will continue to thrive in the studio system. Throw in improving box office returns from Tarantino and Wes Anderson and I must say I do have some confidence in original/semi original filmmaking.

Great movies don't need to make A LOT of money, they just need to make enough. If you go back through the last 15 years or so there have USUALLY only been one or two original/semioriginal films in the top 10. It's okay. That's just how it goes.

Posts: 244
Joined: August 2009
Location: Berkeley, California
brickarts295 wrote:
Pr0creation wrote:Row Rank Title Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year^
1 10 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $1,087.4 $245.4 22.6% $842.0 77.4% 2014
2 51 Guardians of the Galaxy BV $772.7 $333.1 43.1% $439.6 56.9% 2014
3 55 Maleficent BV $757.8 $241.4 31.9% $516.3 68.1% 2014
4 57 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $748.1 $233.9 31.3% $514.2 68.7% 2014
5 63 The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies WB $724.5 $222.4 30.7% $502.1 69.3% 2014
6 65 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $714.1 $259.8 36.4% $454.3 63.6% 2014
7 69 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $709.0 $202.9 28.6% $506.1 71.4% 2014
8 70 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $708.8 $208.5 29.4% $500.3 70.6% 2014
9 72 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 LGF $695.9 $324.3 46.6% $371.6 53.4% 2014
10 80 Interstellar Par. $660.4 $183.0 27.7% $477.4 72.3% 2014


Interstellar is top ten worldwide gross at the moment, but can you spot what all the other films have in common?
7 Sequels
1 Prequel/Remake
1 Adapted Comic Book
9 of those were released in 3D

Interstellar is the only non 3-D Original Film
Hunger Games wasn't in 3D.

Edit: I guess in China Hunger Games is going 3D. Elsewhere, including the US, it was only in 2D.

User avatar
Posts: 1070
Joined: November 2012
If it was released in 3d it would probably be in 2nd and 3rd after the Hobbit run. Crazy.

Posts: 836
Joined: January 2014
Interstellar may have started a bit slow, but it sure had legs and made a shitload of money. Paramount definitely screwed up the US release for the reasons mentioned above + NEVER let a bunch of shitty little bloggers control the spin. Most of the major critics loved Interstellar but their reviews were placed on embargo and a bunch of attention seeking little bloggers desperate for hits attacked Nolan first and made it look like Interstellar was a critical flop. You get more hits trashing movies than praising them.

Which reminds me I read one of the only 2 "critics" (well, bloggers) who gave a negative review to Boyhood, wrote a new blog complaining about how everybody had attacked him because he gave a bad review to Boyhood and Jimmy Kimmel made fun of him. Ah, he's so sensitive. About time somebody blew these little jerks out of the water. They know nothing about movies but try to control the spin.

Posts: 356
Joined: November 2014
Aili wrote:Interstellar may have started a bit slow, but it sure had legs and made a shitload of money. Paramount definitely screwed up the US release for the reasons mentioned above + NEVER let a bunch of shitty little bloggers control the spin. Most of the major critics loved Interstellar but their reviews were placed on embargo and a bunch of attention seeking little bloggers desperate for hits attacked Nolan first and made it look like Interstellar was a critical flop. You get more hits trashing movies than praising them.

Which reminds me I read one of the only 2 "critics" (well, bloggers) who gave a negative review to Boyhood, wrote a new blog complaining about how everybody had attacked him because he gave a bad review to Boyhood and Jimmy Kimmel made fun of him. Ah, he's so sensitive. About time somebody blew these little jerks out of the water. They know nothing about movies but try to control the spin.
Yep, I still think it is impressive with how much it made despite being an original, hard-science film. It started slow, but the legs it had was great (at least internationally, here in the states it didn't have quite as much). Also it seems like most people that enjoy film loved the movie, despite critics being divided over it.

Just watch. I can guarantee you in 10-15 years this movie is going to be looked back on very fondly and most of the "great" films critics praised this year will long be forgotten.

Posts: 544
Joined: November 2014
Lets all see it 10 more times in IMAX, and get Nolan to a billion dollars!

User avatar
Posts: 188
Joined: January 2013
neb4ever wrote:Lets all see it 10 more times in IMAX, and get Nolan to a billion dollars!
I'm down.

Post Reply