Interstellar Box Office Predictions

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
CoRohr wrote:Disney movies are very formulaic. That doesn't mean they aren't good, but it does mean that critics and audiences generally love them. They are family movies, so it'll attract a lot of people regardless. I think if any other big movie that wasn't a family/disney film was out this week, interstellar would be #1 without a doubt. It still can, but won't be as easy.
Yeah...
If that's right, this weekend will be only the fourth time in history that two films sharing the marquee have opened to $50 million or higher. In all three previous instances, they were an animated and live-action movie: Monsters University and World War Z; Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa and Prometheus; and Wall-E and Wanted. And in all three cases, the animated offering won.
:roll:

redfirebird2008 wrote:I think the box office will be a flop, but I don't think Paramount and WB really care. I think Paramount knows this is a work of art next to the garbage Transformers movies they make and they are very proud to have worked on this film regardless of its financial performance.
Every studio cares if their film is a flop, especially a major one that has had so much marketing and promotion spent on it these last few months for a guy whose last three films have made almost $3 billion at the box office. Unless you're a studio who is producing and distributing a film by someone like Terrence Malick, who appeals mainly to the art house crowd, they definitely want great results.

This movie won't be a flop if it makes in the first weekend numbers similar to that of Gravity or Inception but needs word of mouth (as the movies mentioned had) to keep itself on the same pace at the bo as those movies.

‘Big Hero 6′ Edging ‘Interstellar’ at U.S. Box Office, Could Hit $66 Million Weekend
Disney’s “Big Hero 6″ has taken the lead spot at this weekend’s box office, heading for a finish as high as $66 million — enough to top a still-impressive launch in the $56 million launch by Paramount’s “Interstellar,” according to Friday estimates.

Early numbers show both titles performing up to lofty expectations with “Interstellar” winning Friday with $20 million, followed by around $18 million for “Big Hero 2.” Saturday projections were showing “Hero” jumping to $28 million with “Interstellar” coming in around $22 million.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/big-h ... 201350878/

Monicabbm wrote:‘Big Hero 6′ Edging ‘Interstellar’ at U.S. Box Office, Could Hit $66 Million Weekend
Disney’s “Big Hero 6″ has taken the lead spot at this weekend’s box office, heading for a finish as high as $66 million — enough to top a still-impressive launch in the $56 million launch by Paramount’s “Interstellar,” according to Friday estimates.

Early numbers show both titles performing up to lofty expectations with “Interstellar” winning Friday with $20 million, followed by around $18 million for “Big Hero 2.” Saturday projections were showing “Hero” jumping to $28 million with “Interstellar” coming in around $22 million.
Wow that's a big jump for BH6. I realize it's Saturday and kids are not in school but that's a big leap. We'll see. Also if Interstellar makes $20+ mil. for Friday and Saturday it's hitting the $60 mil. for the weekend.

bootsy wrote:
Monicabbm wrote:‘Big Hero 6′ Edging ‘Interstellar’ at U.S. Box Office, Could Hit $66 Million Weekend

Wow that's a big jump for BH6. I realize it's Saturday and kids are not in school but that's a big leap. We'll see. Also if Interstellar makes $20+ mil. for Friday and Saturday it's hitting the $60 mil. for the weekend.
Word of mouth will be crucial for Interstellar to keep building its box office against Big Hero 6. I'm very curious to see what the CinemaScore for each film will be.

I've just spent the last 10 minutes or so looking at people's reaction and the vast majority are overwhelming positive. I think WOM will be very surprising.

I wonder how they come up with that projection for Saturday...and I wonder if there's a possibility of that being thrown out of the water with those who see Interstellar today rushing back tomorrow or Sunday to see it again? :shifty: It's very curious considering that Interstellar claims the win for today...

Maybe Disney has bigger pockets.