Interstellar Box Office Predictions

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
lcbaseball22 wrote:
Dragon_316ca wrote:https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/527912555843686400
INTERSTELLAR will launch in an estimated 3,500 locations on November 7.
That's actually slightly LESS than Inception, isn't it? I believe Inception was around 3,700 locations.
But Interstellar is opening early in IMAX, as early as 11/4.

braungeo123 wrote:
lcbaseball22 wrote:That's actually slightly LESS than Inception, isn't it? I believe Inception was around 3,700 locations.
But Interstellar is opening early in IMAX, as early as 11/4.
Not only do those early shows help for just sheer pre 11/7 ticket sales, but the word-of-mouth that can/will come from those early IMAX screenings can really boost the eventual opening weekend potential. Considering the number of "mind blown" reactions from average joes...

Big Hero 6 is debuting in 3,700+ theaters. I thought Interstellar would have been able to secure at least 3,700. Big Hero 6 will also get more showtimes. It will be interesting to see if Interstellar debuts at #1 with the disadvantages.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Dragon_316ca wrote:https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/527912555843686400
INTERSTELLAR will launch in an estimated 3,500 locations on November 7.
That's actually slightly LESS than Inception, isn't it? I believe Inception was around 3,700 locations.
Summer releases tend to have bigger theater counts while fall/winter releases tend to have longer runs in theaters because the schedule is not quite so ridiculously crowded as it is in the summer.

What happens if Interstellar doesn't debut at #1? NF will go crazy, right?

'Cause i really don't believe that Interstellar will debut at#1, more like at debuting at#3.

Don't get your hopes up, people.

Havoc1st wrote:What happens if Interstellar doesn't debut at #1? NF will go crazy, right?

'Cause i really don't believe that Interstellar will debut at#1, more like at debuting at#3.

Are you high?

lcbaseball22 wrote:
EnzoTheBaker wrote:I wouldn't read too much into this since there are only 5 reviews and boxofficemojo tends to be light on kids' movies / animation, but Big Hero 6 is currently sitting on a 100% rating. It might not be a total pushover opening weekend.
If that's the case then I guess Japanese anime has become a fad with the kids these days...?
Japanese anime has been pretty big in western culture for a while now, and most of it is marketed to young teens and kids. At this point Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z fans of before are a bit older since they're older shows, but more recently there's Avatar, Legends of Korra, Bleach, probably some much more recent stuff I don't know about... Cartoon Network usually has an anime-centric block if I recall correctly. Plus, lots of 'cool' kid's shows (more action-oriented cartoons rather than comedic ones) tend to be a western-ized take on the anime style, definitely drawing a lot of inspiration from that.

Big Hero 6 looks like it'll sort of appeal to that crowd, but also act as a bit of a comedic deconstruction of the genre that the adults can appreciate as well. Haven't paid much attention to it, though. Nothing sticks out to me in the trailers, but then Wreck-It Ralph looked kinda weak to me in the marketing phase and I loved that movie. They just showed all the dumb jokes that would appeal to kids, while I enjoyed the more underplayed jokes and dramatic moments. So it could be good.

But I can only watch one movie in the meantime and that's obviously gonna be Interstellar.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:What happens if Interstellar doesn't debut at #1? NF will go crazy, right?

Are you high?
Don't know. Am I? I'm just expecting the worse. Nothing wrong with that, right?

At this point I'd obviously dial back the word of mouth Interstellar's gonna have, that helped Inception so much. Big Hero 6 is also gonna be a monkey in the wrench, even though the word is it's not a great film, Disney sure does know how to sell it.

I'm guessing $78 million opening weekend domestically, with some pretty average staying power for a Nolan film. Probably gonna top out at $275 million domestically, with around $500 from foreign markets. So $775 million total, and maybe that'll impact on its award chances? Can't imagine it being shut out considering how much campaigning is already going on for publicity (Time, the premieres, various other articles in THR etc) Being somewhat pessimistic though.

Another day will come. And I'm sure the world will survive, NF included.