Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Vader182 wrote:Jonah's draft is derivative and old hat. Nolan minimizes the narrative scope and focus, and, if anything, should have spent more time developing it. It's much more emotionally and narratively powerful than Jonah's which is rather reminiscent of Oblivion mixed with Castle in the Sky.

-Vader
When did you read Jonah's script? Do you mind elaborating on your thoughts of it?

Vader182 wrote:Jonah's draft is derivative and old hat. Nolan minimizes the narrative scope and focus, and, if anything, should have spent more time developing it. It's much more emotionally and narratively powerful than Jonah's which is rather reminiscent of Oblivion mixed with Castle in the Sky.

-Vader
I agree with this a lot (outside of the Castle in the Sky reference). The draft is a jumbo mess , of concepts and themes . It's a pastiche of many things , without being anything concrete. It lacks any sort of focus. And i definitely agree the film could have used an even more streamlined approach. But for it to happen , it would have to deviate a lot more from his bro's work. A different story altogether.

The screenplay book is out today in paperback form. Will probably pick it up tomorrow, won't do a transcription like TDKR, I'll wait for the eBook version to hit and then I can just plug it into Celtx and reformat as needed. Question is whether Paramount's FYC site will have it up and when.

I'm very interested in the (hopefully forthcoming) eBook version of the Interstellar shooting script. If anyone catches news of it, please let us all know!

Well I've finished reading the original script. I dunno, I kinda still prefer it. The emotional connection isn't there as much but some things kinda make more sense (or are at least more intriguing) like with the probe and the paradox is not as annoying and there's more development of a relationship with Brand. The ice planet sequence I think would have been more interesting as well...

how does Jonah's original ending play out?

lcbaseball22 wrote:Well I've finished reading the original script. I dunno, I kinda still prefer it. The emotional connection isn't there as much but some things kinda make more sense (or are at least more intriguing) like with the probe and the paradox is not as annoying and there's more development of a relationship with Brand. The ice planet sequence I think would have been more interesting as well...
There is no paradox.

Cilogy wrote:how does Jonah's original ending play out?
Cooper comes back to Earth after 200 years, Earth is now a barren wasteland. Cooper makes his way through the blinding snow. He tries to find his way, but the ship has been consumed by the blizzard. He stumbles to the ground, dropping the glass case with the fractal wildlife in it. The case shatters.

As he watches, the fractal wildlife creeps tentatively out of its broken habitat. It forms together against the cold.
After a moment, it burrows into the ice. As it does, the ice glows faintly. It seems to be right at home.
Cooper laughs, glimpsing the outline of a plan. Was this what the beings who made the wormhole intended all along?

After that he wakes up in the hospital, a nearby ranger had saved him. He is in Cooper station now. He sees a picture of Murph with his great grandsons. Cooper meets with his grandson who gives him his watch. After that Cooper's petition is denied to join Exploration team so he sneaks in and steals a ship.

The movie ends with him shooting for stars. :)

Audiences would have hated Cooper not being able to meet Murph but I really liked it.

riddick-danish wrote:
Cooper comes back to Earth after 200 years, Earth is now a barren wasteland. Cooper makes his way through the blinding snow. He tries to find his way, but the ship has been consumed by the blizzard. He stumbles to the ground, dropping the glass case with the fractal wildlife in it. The case shatters.

As he watches, the fractal wildlife creeps tentatively out of its broken habitat. It forms together against the cold.
After a moment, it burrows into the ice. As it does, the ice glows faintly. It seems to be right at home.
Cooper laughs, glimpsing the outline of a plan. Was this what the beings who made the wormhole intended all along?

After that he wakes up in the hospital, a nearby ranger had saved him. He is in Cooper station now. He sees a picture of Murph with his great grandsons. Cooper meets with his grandson who gives him his watch. After that Cooper's petition is denied to join Exploration team so he sneaks in and steals a ship.

Audiences would have hated Cooper not being able to meet Murph but I really liked it.
damn, that would have been weird

Cilogy wrote:
riddick-danish wrote:

damn, that would have been weird