Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Question those who read the script. What characters would you call the best?

Interstellar wrote:Question those who read the script. What characters would you call the best?
A Character that has not even been mentioned anywhere on IMBD or anything. So... I'm not really sure if Nolan included him in the rewrite but... I would say its a tie between the robot Case and Roth

Interstellar wrote:Question those who read the script. What characters would you call the best?
My favorite were:

1. Roth
2. Case
3. Tars

(BIG SPOILERS) Mainly written for people who've already analyzed and read the script..read at your own risk..

Matthew McConaughey - Cooper
Anne Hathaway - Brand
Jessica Chastain - Murph
Mackenzie Foy - Young Murph
Casey Affleck - Tom
Timothee Chalamet - Young Tom
Michael Caine - Brand's Father, Professor
John Lithgow - Donald
Wes Bentley - One of the astronauts (Possibly Doyle)
David Gyasi - One of the astronauts (Possibly Roth but younger than in the script)
David Oyelowo - School Principal

Ellen Burstyn - Old Murph
William Devane - Old Tom
Topher Grace and Elyes Gabel are on earth, not sure for their characters.
Matt Damon filmed in Iceland so he has to be someone in space.
Bill Irwin could be playing Tars (voiceover) but I can't really say

I think this casting will be correct for the characters in the film. Casey Afflect in the casting guess as Older Tom..I think is spot on since in the trailer he looks really emotional and distraught in the one scene of him surrounded by the fire in the cornfield, which I think definitely would be a good guess as to why he's so emotional and sad for the loss of his father at such a young age..since he probably now believes his father Cooper is gone in SPACE and is never coming back. Also Jessica Chastain once again is so emotional too in the trailer so my guess is the same for the above casting as Older Murph. As for the TARS cast character, I think it'll definitely be Bill Irwin since Bill Irwin has voiced children's shows(Elmo, Sesame Street) and has been the voice for Mr. Noodle on Elmo for a long time, which would make 100% sense that Irwin could tackle that kinda of role.. not to mention I would also guess Nolan probably chose him because his children probably watch Elmo too and since Irwin's portrayal of Mr. Noodle is very unique and child-like in the show which probably led to the conviction as to why Nolan would cast him in the film since he probably thought Irwin would really bring justice to TARS character. Also not to mention Irwin is also a great serious-role actor. Ellen Burstyn most definitely I think his Old-age Murph due to her age and red hair color whether that's her natural hair color? or since most of if not all her younger movies her hair was always light red -brown. Also not to mention she's a living legend that could easily bring the character of Old-age Murph to full circle perfection. As for Willam Devane I also agree with the choice of Old-age Tom since he's 76 and a living legend too and also most definitely would not fit in the younger crew cast that Nolan has presented to us in the trailer, that are also listed as "main" supporting actors on the IMBD Interstellar page. Hence once again matching the cast predictions above. I also think Topher Grace will be playing Jessica Chastain's middle age Murph's boyfriend in the film since of leaked set photos of her with TG on the set. Wes Bentley I think will be playing human-robot Case in a very similar way as Michael Fassbender's character David in the film Prometheus. Also because Wes Bentley's performance in American Beauty really showed his talent at playing very versatile, unique and powerfully "emotional" human characters of which he would really justify for robot-human Case. Matt Damon I think is the robot for now the reporting India landing on the Ice-planet(correct me If I'm wrong)

And if the change is from China discovering the base-camp FIRST on ice planet, than to NOW India discovering it, then I also think this change was made because India is where Buddhism originated and is also the official religion in India. I think this because.. Buddhism is all about "enlightenment" and would make sense that the former indian astronauts would most likely be trying to search for advanced beings on other planets due to as Buddha was an advanced enlightened "human" being on Earth hence making them MORE likely to follow in Buddha's footsteps as they search for the advanced beings on other planets. I also think Nolan chose this because the Chinese and Russian people would most likely be thinking and caring ONLY about saving their own country's people.. as opposed to India's more important purpose to search for advanced civilizations and beings on other planets for not only their people to go to and live there, but also for other people from other nations all around the world too . Which like I said above is why India was chosen to be the base-camp discovery on the ice planet first. I also think this is why India would of left a map of the new galaxy for US to discover it since they probably felt the US would really do a good job of starting life on a new planet that would be about all races and religions living in peace and unity on the future world. Also Russia and China are more "totalitarian" esque that would most likely lead to a repeat situation on Future Earth.

1) The entire aliens aspect was removed.
2) Murph and Tom as adults had a lot more to do.
3) Michael Caine's character was much more than a driving force in the expedition.
4) There was more gravitas, considering it is a Nolan movie than there was in Jonah's draft, which was pretty much a straightforward action-adventure spectacle( not a surprise considering it was written for Spielberg).

I also think we all can agree that this is spot on Nolan's "original idea". The idea of focusing on Cooper and his family before he leaves for the trip, and during the time he's gone and away from Earth I think was written for the sake of making the film have a deeper emotional impact on the audience when watching. Also this father/daughter young to old age-time travel science fiction idea is very unique and has really never been brought to justice in any film at least that I've seen.

Also in having the son and daughter lose their father at such a young age while still truly not knowing what to think or make of it, I think would make sense since they'd probably wouldn't understand it until Cooper( Matthew McConaughey) returns to Earth to then him "reconciling" and helping his children understand the "sacrifice for the greater good" he did for the sake of humanity but more for his own children Tom and Murph and for his grandchildren. I also think that Cooper will return while Murph (Jessica Chastain) and Tom (Casey Afflect) are during their middle age life-span to give it a more emotional and EPIC feel when they do meet together on Earth just like in the scene in "Tree of Life" film when Sean Penn's character older Jack meets his mother( Jessica Chastain) on the shore of eternity at the of the film. Sean Penn's character was older Jack and his mother's character(Jessica Chastain) was both "young" and "old" mother. I also know that Nolan is a very big fan of Terrence Malick since he was on one of the commentary's in the Blu-ray edition of the film "praising" the movie and telling how the director has inspired him so much throughout his life and also through the films he's made. I think Nolan choose Jessica Chastain since he probably was very impressed with her "realistic" and gracefully lovingly performance of the mother "young" and "old" in Malick's film. He probably selected her also in this reasoning since Chastain already had that experience (young and old mother) in the Tree of Life and perfected it enough in the film to the point of Nolan casting her as middle age Murph. I also think this because Nolan probably thought she would easily bring justice to middle-age Murph's character whose struggling with both of these aspects in the film(young and middle-age old)

I'm speculating that Old-age Murph (Ellen Burstyn) and Tom (William Devane) will be shown at the end of the film in the future on the colonized ice planet since it would bring the story to a full circle end with Old-age Murph and Old-age Tom peacefully living on the NEW ice planet (with their children) hence them truly understanding the sacrifice their father made for themselves and humanity. And then maybe "I love you forever" line to then fade to black end credits. This is just my guess..

I think this film will come to be seen as Nolan's 2001 and Tree of Life since those films both we're considered Stanley Kubrick's more so Magnum Opus and then the more recent Terrence Malick film. I think both those films inspired him so much that it really give him a strong desire to make his own imitation and tribute to them. The film though obviously in time will be a stand-alone classic of the science-ficiton adding it all of it's predecessors.

I also think this Interstellar will win Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars next year and be the first science fiction film to win the best picture award. I also think Anne Hathaway might snag another Oscar for Best Actress and Jessica Chastain for Best Supporting. I think the film will basically sweep winning Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects and possibly Best Score. These once again are my predictions but I think many if not all of you agree with some of them.

Please leave comments as to what you think of all of my predictions above. Most are further analyzations from what all of you already said and I REALLY thank you for that since when I finish the end of the script for a second time during this weekend I now can go in with these new predictions and it will lead me to also post further predictions on here too. THANKS so much..This took me 2 1/2 hours to write.. PLEASE leave comments about my whole story summary and cast predictions so that we can ever the more come to an even greater possible understanding of what the actual film will present to us.!!
Last edited by padrepio180 on May 24th, 2014, 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Is Elyes Gabel playing Riggs or some version of it according to old script ? That is the only character left with whom Cooper has some scenes. Or the administrator in the end ? Or a totally new character put in by Chris in the new script.

Rsionis wrote:
Is Elyes Gabel playing Riggs or some version of it according to old script ? That is the only character left with whom Cooper has some scenes. Or the administrator in the end ? Or a totally new character put in by Chris in the new script.
Not sure if Elyes Gabel is playing Riggs but more of a likely hood Roth or Doyle. 4 crew team probably is

Matthew McConaughey- Cooper
Anne Hathaway-Brand
Wes Bentley-Case
David Gyasi- Doyle or Roth
TARS- Bill Irwin

Doyle and Roth maybe merged as one character since Nolan maybe didn't want to overload the team since the spaceship will be very small as it is written in the script
Last edited by padrepio180 on May 24th, 2014, 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

padrepio180 wrote:
Rsionis wrote:
Not sure if Elyes Gabel is playing Riggs but more of a likely hood Roth or Doyle. 5 crew-team probably is

Anne Hathaway-Brand
Wes Bentley-Case
David Gyasi- Roth or Doyle
TARS- Bill Irwin

Imagining that 5 crew space-team(not including TARS) is
pretty sweet since all the actors seem they'd work well together in exploring SPACE. Almost selected for them to look and feel very natural in their roles as opposed to if Nolan casted a very random cast to play the explorers team and it making it not work on screen.
Last edited by padrepio180 on May 24th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

padrepio180 wrote:
Rsionis wrote:
Not sure if Elyes Gabel is playing Riggs but more of a likely hood Roth or Doyle. 4 crew team probably is

Anne Hathaway-Brand
Wes Bentley-Case
Eleys Gabel- Doyle or Roth
TARS- Bill Irwin

Doyle and Roth maybe merged as one character since Nolan maybe didn't want to overload the team since the spaceship will be very small as it is written in the script
I believe that the whole crew was shown in the trailer.
Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Wes Bentley, David Giyasi and Bill Irwin in the form of
TARS.
By the way Eleys Gabel only filmed in Canada and you are mistaken David Giyasi for David Oyelowo

MyCocaine wrote:
padrepio180 wrote:
Rsionis wrote:

Anne Hathaway-Brand
Wes Bentley-Case
David Giyasi- Doyle or Roth
TARS- Bill Irwin

I believe that the whole crew was shown in the trailer.

Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Wes Bentley, David Giyasi and Bill Irwin in the form of
TARS.
I also think Case will be human played by Wes Bentley as a brilliant scientist and the robot aspects of the character will be merged with TARS and his dialogue. This is something I changed to the above casting predictions since it makes more sense and the film isn't ROBOT overload! LOL!

By the way Eleys Gabel only filmed in Canada and you are mistaken David Giyasi for David Oyelowo
Oh THANK you! I agree with you then if Eleys Gabel only filmed in Canada. And I also wasn't sure about David Oyelowo since he does resemble and look like the other actor David Giyasi. Also fixed cast above.

I LOVE being able to chat with everyone else on this Forum since we are all helping each other to try and guess the plot secrets of Nolan's Interstellar film coming this November. Also knowing what happens in the movie ahead a time really softens the anticipation in my opinion so your not overly pressing or obsessing over it for the next 5 months enabling you to just relax and patiently wait for the films' release come November.

I did this technique for a LOT of other films over the past years including NOAH this year and also The Tree of Life in 2011. Also in doing technique, the film made more of impression on me seeing it for the first time, since I then had a greater understanding of what will be shown onscreen.

One thing I hated in the script was that 'Murphy's Law' joke. It didn't work at all and seemed forced. And it seems even more forced and terrible seeing it on screen in the trailer. "Watcha do Murph? Murphy's law." That sort of insult doesn't make any sense and it doesn't seem like someone would say that to their little sister. The Nolans are known for clunky dialogue and this is just another example. Of course, the ideas are great in their movies, just not the dialogue, most of the time.