Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
DoubleD wrote:
VulcanVader wrote:
DoubleD wrote: If lots of action is what you're hoping for, I think you're gonna be disappointed.
Last Nolan movies has been quite action packed, I don't think he would do this with just the little action of the Jonathan Nolan's 2008 script.
Just because his last couple of films have been action packed doesn't mean that all his films from here on out will follow that same trend. Interstellar will not be without it's fair share of action/suspense, I just don't think it will be on the scale of say TDKR.
I'd say this will have significantly less action than any of the Batman films or Inception, but will have more than The Prestige, and around the same as Memento.

The Prestige was still a great movie with almost no action, as was 2001: A Space Odyssey. If thrilling, high-stakes scenarios and the prospect of space travel isn't exciting enough for you, I don't know what to say.

I know what I'm saying. It lacks action. If we were speaking of a very well-written, smart space opera, I'd say nothing, but excluding some (very) cool lines at the beginning, this is not exactly Shakespeare, and even it has some poor developed scenes at the end and pace troubles. Action, in movies, doesn't mean explosions or shootouts.... if you don't know what I mean, don't rush saying this will sure be a masterpiece without knowing the final result.
Said this, I'm absolutely convinced Nolan will solve the most poor written scenes and the (unjustified) slow pace.

Personally I want this to be a more nuanced experience for some reason. I don't want huge action.

VulcanVader wrote:I know what I'm saying. It lacks action. If we were speaking of a very well-written, smart space opera, I'd say nothing, but excluding some (very) cool lines at the beginning, this is not exactly Shakespeare, and even it has some poor developed scenes at the end and pace troubles. Action, in movies, doesn't mean explosions or shootouts.... if you don't know what I mean, don't rush saying this will sure be a masterpiece without knowing the final result.
Said this, I'm absolutely convinced Nolan will solve the most poor written scenes and the (unjustified) slow pace.
As far as the pacing goes, I'm sure it will be drastically improved, even if Nolan didn't change a single line of dialog or plot point (which he certainly did). His talent with cross-cutting and non-linear narrative should make this really interesting, especially when he can
work with time dilation, different planets, and alternate dimensions.

As far as specifically bad scenes go, I personally enjoyed the atmosphere on the spaceship when they believed they were the only humans left alive, so I hope you were instead referring to the Murph-saving-the-world reveal and space hospital scenes.

so here's who playing who
Matthew McConaughey is Cooper
Anne Hathaway is Brand
Jessica Chastain is 30s-40s Murph (Mackenzie Foy is Murph at 10 and Ellen Burstyn is Murph at 80)
Bill Irwin is Roth
Casey Affleck is Doyle
John Lithgow is Donald
Michael Caine is Brand's father
sounds right?

If you are talking about action and not just explosion and shouting then there are lot of them in this movie.
1. Cooper chasing the Chinese drone.
2. Whole entering the wormhole, everything bend, hull cracking, Tars sacrificing himself.
3. Running away from Neutron Star.
4. Running away from those animal like creatures.
5. Roth sacrificing himself and Moon crushing his ship.
6. Ice planet being destroyed.
7. That Robot fight.
8. Doyle's ship being annihilated.
There are lot of Space-esc action in this movie and hopefully would be amazing to see in IMAX.

Nolan has always said there is lot of creativity in editing room so I wouldn't worry much about pacing, he can totally change things in editing room but I sure hope its not very fast paced like TDKR.

can someone guess the runtime?

riddick-danish wrote:
1. Cooper chasing the Chinese drone.
That was indeed a great scene (specially to be so soon in the movie), but I don't know why I have the feeling it's gonna be out of the movie. They will probably be in a hurry to start the mission and so introduce the main plot.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:so here's who playing who
Anne Hathaway is Brand
Jessica Chastain is 30s-40s Murph (Mackenzie Foy is Murph at 10 and Ellen Burstyn is Murph at 80)
Bill Irwin is Roth
Casey Affleck is Doyle
John Lithgow is Donald
sounds right?
Agreed on all except Irwin. I don't think he'll play a very big role

MovieMaster wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:so here's who playing who
Anne Hathaway is Brand
Bill Irwin is Roth
Casey Affleck is Doyle
John Lithgow is Donald
sounds right?
Agreed on all except Irwin. I don't think he'll play a very big role
I see him playing Roth as well, but I think he can be Ansen (maybe too little role)...