Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Aili wrote:
Really? Topher Grace is 4 years older than Anne Hathaway and looks it. I didn't even remember Brand had a brother.

I'm sure Casey Affleck is playing the grown up Timothee. They both have the same very intense eyes and prominent eyebrows. And frankly, Affleck is a much, much better actor than Grace and he'll be better in a more demanding role. Grace is probably playing either Jessica's boyfriend/husband or somebody from NASA.
I tend to agree with this ^ . If you base it on pure talent, Affleck is a much better fit. Topher usually is (and should be) a small supporting role. Aka scientist, love interest, etc.

GoldenEyes wrote:
Topher Grace will play Brand's younger brother according to Nolan's draft
I was looking at it again, where did you see this?

Topher Grace is playing Murph's son instead of Murph's daughter (Emily Cooper, remember?? girl who tweaked the machine to work). <- I think this is another gender swap by Nolan.

If it is indeed the case that
Timothee Chalamet and Casey Affleck are the same character, I think it's a bizarre choice to have someone else in the film who looks like the double of an older Timothee Chalamet (i.e. Topher Grace).

The character that Grace plays should have at least had a distinguished appearance. It's too close for my liking. What a bizarre choice.

Thoughts?
Image Image

davids wrote:If it is indeed the case that
Timothee Chalamet and Casey Affleck are the same character, I think it's a bizarre choice to have someone else in the film who looks like the double of an older Timothee Chalamet (i.e. Topher Grace).

The character that Grace plays should have at least had a distinguished appearance. It's too close for my liking. What a bizarre choice.

Thoughts?
Image Image
Chalamet and Affleck look a lot more similar than you think, especially if we're granting about 20 years of aging.

Image Image

Yeah, there are some resemblances there but why have a another character (Grace) who looks very like him also? It's a strange choice I think. :think:

Do you not agree that Grace also (if not more) looks like Timothee? Is it just me?

davids wrote:Yeah, there are some resemblances there but why have a another character (Grace) who looks very like him also? It's a strange choice I think. :think:

Do you not agree that Grace also (if not more) looks like Timothee? Is it just me?
They look more alike in the pictures you posted, but that's mostly because they're both giving the same smirk. I've found pictures on Google where Topher looks more like him and some where Topher looks nothing like him. I think the strongest argument in favor of Affleck being an older Chalamet is the one mentioned previously: Affleck is miles ahead of Grace in terms of acting ability which would be needed for that large of a role, and he looks a good deal older than Chastain, which would make sense given the characters' apparent age difference.

Even regular websites are stating the obvious logic here:
"Jessica Chastain and Casey Affleck are on Earth, and it is surmised that they are the Cooper's kids, which means that the movie will address the time factor (not just the distance) associated with interstellar travel."

We don't need to overthink this guys. I'm actually VERY happy Affleck is playing that role opposite Chastain, they are both brilliant, imo. As I mentioned before - Topher, meh.

Here is the only good shot of Topher on set, just to refresh everyone.

Yeah, I understand it if Affleck is playing the aforementioned character. But don't you think Grace was a miscast then? Not only in acting ability but also because of his appearance. He looks like the boy.

It's a small error so I forgive Nolan.

I guess we'll see. I'm basing my opinion of Topher Grace on a handful of movies in which he was just an average actor. Maybe starring in a movie of this magnitude will light a fire under his ass. That or his role is so small we won't care.