Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Well, we really know when we see the movie. But I will not buy what he's saying, since other actors did the same.

Are you guys afraid Matt's playing a bad guy? Actually, I'd think that would be something he would be going for. His career has been stagnant the last few years. He has gotten a reputation for being bland and he is aging out of young action hero roles and he has never made a convincing romantic lead (he's a bit too white bread). His all-time best performance was in The Talented Mr. Ripley playing a villain.

He has had several critical and box office flops playing "nice guys" (We Bought a Zoo and Promised Land). Others were flops according to how costly they were: Adjustment Bureau, Elysium and Monuments Men. He has slipped off the A+ list. Playing a bad guy in a cameo is the kind of thing he needs now, like playing Liberace's boyfriend on HBO. I think he's trying to shake things up. He had refused to continue with the Bourne films, but recently said he would be open to doing another one, which must mean he isn't getting the offers for good roles he used to get. An eye-popping cameo would be right up his alley like McC's in Wolf of Wall Street and get him some critical attention out of proportion to the size of the role - and I think that's why he's doing it. So it must be a flashy role, playing Anne's long lost husband wouldn't be that. Playing a murderous either crazy man or man inhabited by an alien would be.

This thread has become...

:wtf: :wtf: :facepalm:

cclem wrote:This thread has become...

:wtf: :wtf: :facepalm:
This whole section.

It survived b4ben11. It'll survive chocobooby.

We'll find a way... we always have.

In the Trailer 3 sequence where the rocket launches - it appears to be in a shopping mall or something which wraps around the rocket. Does this mean it will be a top secret mission? Or, will it be more like Independence Day and Contact where they contact the whole world to let them know what is happening?

I hope it is a top secret mission, more like 2001, so that we don't have to deal with any baggage such as putting presidents and television broadcasters into the film, which doesn't make it as timeless as it can be, such as 2001.

After skimming through the first half of the leaked script again,
Murph and Cooper aren't the only father and daughter to have to separate. Brand and her father (Michael Caine, I presume) have a brief moment, before they lift off. I'm predicting Nolan will give Hathaway and Caine an emotional goodbye, drawing parallels to Murph and Cooper. Cue the waterworks.

And does Brand's father have a name in the script? I've only skimmed it, but he's only referred to as "Brand's father"

dsus4gtr wrote:In the Trailer 3 sequence where the rocket launches - it appears to be in a shopping mall or something which wraps around the rocket. Does this mean it will be a top secret mission? Or, will it be more like Independence Day and Contact where they contact the whole world to let them know what is happening?

I hope it is a top secret mission, more like 2001, so that we don't have to deal with any baggage such as putting presidents and television broadcasters into the film, which doesn't make it as timeless as it can be, such as 2001.
I believe it's an independent effort by either Michael Caine as a NASA Chief or scientist (Matthew calls him "Professor") or NASA itself (or what's left of it). Humanity has become stagnant, some earthly calamities happen and all space programs are shut off. Years earlier, someone at Caltech (Kip Thorne? Caine?) discovers a wormhole and Caine/NASA orders a rocket to be built secretly to travel trough it as a last resort.

Notice the rocket is being kept in some sort of secret room inside the "NASA" building, just like in the script. That might be the same room used for takeoff.

hotsauce32 wrote:After skimming through the first half of the leaked script again,
Murph and Cooper aren't the only father and daughter to have to separate. Brand and her father (Michael Caine, I presume) have a brief moment, before they lift off. I'm predicting Nolan will give Hathaway and Caine an emotional goodbye, drawing parallels to Murph and Cooper. Cue the waterworks.

And does Brand's father have a name in the script? I've only skimmed it, but he's only referred to as "Brand's father"
I'm not sure, but wasn't he called Donald?
And yeah, that's a cool parallel. Anne and Caine might share only a few scenes toguether, but I hope they make the most of them. I'm personally excited to see Anne's reaction when she discovers several years have passed and her father is dead.