Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Rsionis wrote:I was wondering
why Chris changed Murph from boy to girl. I think and also how the imdb source mentined about Caine's character being a driving force in the trip, there are these two father-daughter scenarios. One member of each father-daughter pair is on earth (Caine and foy) and the other(McC and Anne) on the expedition. I think Chris's input might have to do with this cross father-daughter-emotional drama.
Perhaps the movie just needed more of a female presence?

I think that change is refreshing. Glad he did it.

Allstar wrote:
why Chris changed Murph from boy to girl. I think and also how the imdb source mentined about Caine's character being a driving force in the trip, there are these two father-daughter scenarios. One member of each father-daughter pair is on earth (Caine and foy) and the other(McC and Anne) on the expedition. I think Chris's input might have to do with this cross father-daughter-emotional drama.
Yup.

On hindsight, since Inception,
Nolan's been having two females (significant roles) in his films.

Allstar wrote:
May be. But i feel it has more to do than just that. I don't think this thought never occurred to jonah even if he wasn't writing it as a parent-child oriented story then.

More speculation, based on Chastain's comment from a while ago about the perfume....
Murph as an adult does not allow herself to become involved with any relationships after Cooper's failure to return. Casey Affleck may be playing the man-she-should-be-with-but-won't. Although, Topher Grace and Affleck could both be the "love interest", while the other plays the Adult Tom.

nolannolanchrischris wrote:Is there a nice role in there for Michael Caine?
Good call!

nolannolanchrischris wrote:
GamingFreak wrote:
nolannolanchrischris wrote:Is there a nice role in there for Michael Caine?
Yeah.
He could play the leader of the mission. He is also the father of Brand.
Interesting :thumbup:
Good call number two! :D

The Special One wrote:
d4mi4n wrote:
The Special One wrote: This thing is 154 pages, it could take a while to read.
Yeah I'm on page 20... it's been great so far.
It's an exceptional story and script. I remember reading Kubrick's Napoleon script. I get the same sense of wonder and excitement as I'm reading this.
Has the movie with Kubrick's version of Napoleon come out yet? I haven't heard of that one. I'd love to read that script!

rionrustle wrote: Has the movie with Kubrick's version of Napoleon come out yet? I haven't heard of that one. I'd love to read that script!
Me too. Someone PM me this script.

fenwayconnor wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Smilion wrote:
Now that we saw in which way Nolan changed the design of robots and considering how late Matt Damon entered the production, could it be, that he is doing the voice-acting for computers/robots (like Hal from 2001)? :oops:
There's a good chance for this.

If thats the case he wouldn't have needed to be on the set in Iceland though right? His role would have been recorded later on right?
Oh! I forgot that one! I guess you're right.
I don't know really, it can go both ways. Maybe it's kinda of thing where Tars is essentially ship's AI, who can transform from computer to robotic form, when outside of ship. That could explain Damon in mo-cap suit. I also speculate that Tars is the only robot left and Case was rewritten as human. In sense of dynamic it wouldn't change much, Tars on the other hand was much more essential (so the casting would go Case-Gyasi, Doyle-Bentley (both seen in trailer as part of expedition), Roth-Irwin (who has one of the top billings on poster)) .

And as we know, Nolan replaced China with India, so it would make sense that the robot, which they encounter on ice planet is played by Elyes Gabel.

We must also take in consideration, that some things were definitely changed. We saw that both Affleck and Grace filmed scenes on Earth with Chastain, when accordingly to the script there is just one person (her brother), who is in the scenes
Last edited by Smilion on May 17th, 2014, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.