Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Why would we share it with people who joined the site just for the script?

Maybe this was discussed here before but I really wonder the small role of Matt Damon on the film. All we know that he's role was filmed in Iceland. Any idea?
Because I read the old script twice and unless Chris Nolan changed something, then it might surprise us.

I have a question.
I assume Timothee Chalamet and Mackenzie Foy play Topher Grace and Jessica Chastain respectively. I also assume as Mathew travels out into space with a team, we cut between their and time on earth which is dieing. We see the kids ages to become adults they await the return of their father?
Thoughts?

davids wrote:I have a question.
I assume Timothee Chalamet and Mackenzie Foy play Topher Grace and Jessica Chastain respectively. I also assume as Mathew travels out into space with a team, we cut between their and time on earth which is dieing. We see the kids ages to become adults they await the return of their father?
Thoughts?
Possibly. But there was a dude on IMDB who posted an extensive outline of Nolan's draft, comparing it to the 2008 draft. He said it was about 60% different from the 2008 draft. That post was deleted a few hours later. I'm curious to see what changes Nolan made. I'm sure the shooting script is far superior to the draft floating around the internet.

Mostly speculation, but Christopher Nolan's changes seem to be....
1. Murph as a girl.

2. Parallel story of Murph and Tom as adults.

3. Focus on Murph's anger/resentment/distrust of people after Cooper's departure.

4. Cooper returning to earth fifteen/twenty years later without aging.

Hopefully the alien lifeform is gone, and the Ice Planet sequence is more interesting in general.

The_Maestro wrote:Mostly speculation, but Christopher Nolan's changes seem to be....
1. Murph as a girl.

2. Parallel story of Murph and Tom as adults.

3. Focus on Murph's anger/resentment/distrust of people after Cooper's departure.

4. Cooper returning to earth fifteen/twenty years later without aging.

Hopefully the alien lifeform is gone, and the Ice Planet sequence is more interesting in general.
Yeah apparently the major difference was
Nolan's draft got rid of the aliens and it was more about the human element and time. Also, the Michael Caine character was more of a catalyst for the journey to space.

chocoboba wrote:
Thoughts?
Possibly. But there was a dude on IMDB who posted an extensive outline of Nolan's draft, comparing it to the 2008 draft. He said it was about 60% different from the 2008 draft. That post was deleted a few hours later. I'm curious to see what changes Nolan made. I'm sure the shooting script is far superior to the draft floating around the internet.
There should be some changes for sure but I think the core of the original script will be still there.
Last edited by Panapaok on May 13th, 2014, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panapaok wrote:
chocoboba wrote:
Thoughts?
And how he knows the Nolan draft? I mean the changes he mentioned did make sense but I don't think that anybody knows the final script that Chris used for the film.
Anyway, I personally don't think that he got rid of the alien thing completely. Maybe alien existence will be just implied. I would love if aliens are shown as a formless entity...something which exists but not depicted through any form. Kind of 2001 A Space Odyssey. I guess we have to wait. :roll:
My guess is that he probably worked for the studio or something. The fact that he deleted his post minutes after posting it is telling. He probably thought twice about what he was doing.

And yes...
...according to him, the entire alien thing was removed from the draft. He said the alien thing was written specifically for Spielberg. Nolan took that out and made it more of a time travel movie.
Last edited by chocoboba on May 13th, 2014, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

chocoboba wrote:My guess is that he probably worked for the studio or something. The fact that he deleted his post minutes after posting it is telling. He probably though twice about what he was doing.

And yes...
...according to him, the entire alien thing was removed from the draft. He said the alien thing was written specifically for Spielberg. Nolan took that out and made it more of a time travel movie.
Maybe, maybe not. Hopefully there will be a lot of surprises.

chocoboba wrote:My guess is that he probably worked for the studio or something. The fact that he deleted his post minutes after posting it is telling. He probably though twice about what he was doing.

And yes...
What else did the guy on IMDB say about the changes between the 2008 draft and Chris'?