Interstellar Script Discussion

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I thought it was around 150 pages?

and Nolan wrote the final draft of Insomnia

Is there more than one iteration of the script around? The one I'm looking at has 121 pages, dated March 12, 2008

I'll try to review it with and without spoilers. I've been waiting for this movie for several years when I 1st saw it pop up on IMDb. Especially since the vague description mentioned it to be a hard sci-fi that dives deep into some of the craziest scientific facts & theories. Over the years, I was happy to see Spielberg's drop off and Chris' name get attached to his brother's script (always an outstanding pairing so far). I was hesitant about reading the script until I heard Chris was re-working it...since I heard that, I felt more comfortable about reading the old draft. So I did.

These are my non-spoiler thoughts/complaints on the script. But if you're super spoiler sensitive there may still be some very very vague, mild spoilers within...I haven't thought this out, so it could get messy:
This version of the script is definitely grand in scope and does utilize some serious bizarro scientific-theory elements, as promised. However much of the script actually feels more like a typical (albiet big) sci-fi adventure and reads like a straight-to-video sci-fi that bit off more than it could chew, when it comes to dialog and natural character development/interaction. To me, it really seemed to lack any real life interactions...it never took time out to just show the characters hanging out and talking casually. Those are the moments that really show you who the characters are, their personalities, their sense of humor...and most importantly makes you feel like you really get to know them and care for them and their lives within the plot. Most attempts at humor were pretty weak. And for the most part it felt like the characters(one in particular) were mostly just vessels to explain to the audience what the science means or what's happening onscreen. This typically would only break to have the characters spout out a couple of lines that fit within their defined archetypal character personalities. Despite the poor dialog, the non-dialog descriptions through out the script are excellent.
People who mention it feeling like Spielberg and Cameron in some spots are right on point. This is especially the case for the 2nd act. It feels a lot like the family/sci-fi action of Spielberg's Jurassic Park mixed with Cameron's penchant for showing us foreign worlds. (and no, I'm not saying there are alien-dinosaurs in this) Although most of my complaints come from the 2nd act, it would also be the most 'fun', action filled and visually enjoyable to see.
The 3rd act is my favorite, this is where it takes things to a new level and has moments of poignancy. Here is when it finally felt like a Nolan Bros. movie and where comparisons to Kubrick are likely found. Despite my complaints, it was really entertaining and definitely had me hooked enough to keep reading and find out what happens next. Chris' re-writes will probably be a good thing for this script. If he can add some life and realism to the dialog and characters, keep the pacing natural and scrap some of those 'this-only-happens-in-the-movies' cliche moments. It will take it from a solid flick to an outstanding one.
I ran out of time to get more spoilery...but I might edit this later when I have time
side note: I can't believe how many people in this thread are asking for the script. If you have the ability to open a web browser and find a Chris Nolan fan site, you certainly are capable of finding the script. It literally took me 10 seconds to find. Not to mention it has also been linked to and referenced to where you can get it, in this very thread. :twothumbsup:
Last edited by shakaz on January 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It'd be awesome if someone could pm me the script.

Why did I not know about this place before now!? Anywho, I read the script, if nolan can pull it off, which he has yet to fail at doing so in his directing career, it will be his second best movie, behind TDK.

praneethdamian wrote:It'd be awesome if someone could pm me the script.
I can't tell if you were trying to be funny or not.

your Email Address? I will send it to you

thbluejaguar wrote:
[email protected]

praneethdamian wrote:
thbluejaguar wrote:
[email protected]
Sorry for getting back to you so late, but I sent the script to your email address. enjoy!