Matthew McConaughey as Cooper

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
didich wrote:
anikom15 wrote:
Lol, yeah it was. Must've had a brain fart. I was thinking American Psycho.
Ledger was praised in Brokeback Mountain and Bale's American Psycho had a strong cult following, though.
That's exactly my point. He wasn't a big actor.
Vader182 wrote:Wait- he's in Amistad? :shock:

Armand, I don't think most of the "negative" talk about his casting is all that negative. We're just confused. Nolan typically picks top-quality actors with huge star status and/or very notable acting roles. Hathaway even had Rachel Getting Married, for whatever that was worth. He's Chris Nolan, and he has ready access to the biggest or most loved stars in the world, and he picks this guy. You have to admit, it's about as 'out there' as any of his lead castings ever have been. I don't really wanna speak for other members, but I think most of our reaction is more confusion than criticism, but at the end of the day, I only saw a couple posts without a very significant disclaimer stating the utmost faith Nolan knows what he's doing. Some posters just kinda blew the 'negative' talk out of proportion. Not many people had a huge problem, just puzzlement or a lack of confidence in him, but significant confidence in Nolan, so it kinda balanced out.

At any rate, Nolan typically sees odd things others don't in his cast, and now that the dust has settled a bit, I'm incredibly curious what he sees here.

-Vader

I'm not too thrilled by it and it was rather shocking at first but he does seem to look like he could pull off that astronaut look/role. I doubt this character will be as developed in comparison to Nolan's past films since this is very hard science fiction which means most of the emphasis will be put on the ideas (all relative to Nolan's past lead characters I'm not saying he'll be underdeveloped: Memento delves into an existential crisis, Inception explores Cobb's subconscious/memories, The Prestige follows two intertwined careers with very similar elements to Memento, and of course theres Batman). Two of Nolan's favorites (mine as well), 2001 and Blade Runner didn't have extremely fleshed out leads (when compared to most good dramas) yet they're some of the best films ever made because of their science fiction ideas/visuals and the somewhat limited characters ended up not being any problem at all. Interstellar will obviously have a lot of scientific explaining, speculation, and philosophizing to do and of course there will be that tremendous spectacle (these things can't happen in a film that is entirely centered on its characters i.e. Paul Thomas Anderson's films). So in other words I do not think this film will live and die on McConaughey's performance. I keep thinking Keir Dullea in 2001.
"When art imitates life"

Sounds very similar to McConaughey. :shock:

Allstar wrote:

holy shit he does :lol:

anikom15 wrote:Also note that Heath wasn't much more than the Heaththrob before The Dark Knight and Christian Bale didn't really exist before Batman Begins (he was 'that dude from The Prestige).

dafox wrote:I'm not too thrilled by it and it was rather shocking at first but he does seem to look like he could pull off that astronaut look/role. I doubt this character will be as developed in comparison to Nolan's past films since this is very hard science fiction which means most of the emphasis will be put on the ideas (all relative to Nolan's past lead characters I'm not saying he'll be underdeveloped: Memento delves into an existential crisis, Inception explores Cobb's subconscious/memories, The Prestige follows two intertwined careers with very similar elements to Memento, and of course theres Batman). Two of Nolan's favorites (mine as well), 2001 and Blade Runner didn't have extremely fleshed out leads (when compared to most good dramas) yet they're some of the best films ever made because of their science fiction ideas/visuals and the somewhat limited characters ended up not being any problem at all. Interstellar will obviously have a lot of scientific explaining, speculation, and philosophizing to do and of course there will be that tremendous spectacle (these things can't happen in a film that is entirely centered on its characters i.e. Paul Thomas Anderson's films). So in other words I do not think this film will live and die on McConaughey's performance. I keep thinking Keir Dullea in 2001.
Very well said.

Allstar wrote:

After watching this video, I think Amelia may certainly be onto something. The casting of McConaughey for a character named Cooper could be much more than a coincidence.

Addicted2Movies wrote:
Allstar wrote:

After watching this video, I think Amelia may certainly be onto something. The casting of McConaughey for a character named Cooper could be much more than a coincidence.
Alright Alright Alright 8-)

the_red_ninja wrote:
Addicted2Movies wrote:
Alright Alright Alright 8-)

dafox wrote:I'm not too thrilled by it and it was rather shocking at first but he does seem to look like he could pull off that astronaut look/role. I doubt this character will be as developed in comparison to Nolan's past films since this is very hard science fiction which means most of the emphasis will be put on the ideas (all relative to Nolan's past lead characters I'm not saying he'll be underdeveloped: Memento delves into an existential crisis, Inception explores Cobb's subconscious/memories, The Prestige follows two intertwined careers with very similar elements to Memento, and of course theres Batman). Two of Nolan's favorites (mine as well), 2001 and Blade Runner didn't have extremely fleshed out leads (when compared to most good dramas) yet they're some of the best films ever made because of their science fiction ideas/visuals and the somewhat limited characters ended up not being any problem at all. Interstellar will obviously have a lot of scientific explaining, speculation, and philosophizing to do and of course there will be that tremendous spectacle (these things can't happen in a film that is entirely centered on its characters i.e. Paul Thomas Anderson's films). So in other words I do not think this film will live and die on McConaughey's performance. I keep thinking Keir Dullea in 2001.
That's a great way of putting it. I had a feeling this film would be more about the philosophy or the ideas rather than the character. In that case, MM's casting may be appropriate, I think he plays one or two-dimensional characters really well, mostly because that's the level at which he operates (and I mean in the best of ways).
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.