Interstellar Influences & Inspirations

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
riddick-danish wrote:Contact
Contact's probably not that far off, since several of the non-Nolans on this project were involved with that movie.

Thread/ :judge:

Joseph Dazz wrote:Image

but seriously, I'd love to see references to films other than Kubrick's.
gib sigs

Jungian wrote:
How the fuck did I forget this beautiful thing.
Somebody give the idea to Nolan. :judge:
gib sigs

Tarkovsky's Solaris, maybe? It's pretty much a touchstone text for any filmmaker who wants to attempt grand philosophical/intellectual themes in an outer-space setting, and I'd be deeply shocked to learn that Nolan wasn't at least an admirer of it. (Not least because, yes, it involves a dead wife.)

If you've got time and patience to spare (A LOT of time and patience to spare - it's three hours long and not exactly what you'd call pacy), some kind soul has uploaded it to YT in two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=GG9Anstj ... ture=mv_sr

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=yOGHMmKp ... re=relover

(You'll need the subtitles on, btw.)

I'd say this much is true:

We know it's an ensemble piece (Nolan has done this since Batman Begins).
We know it's going to feature an international cast (look to most of his films for globe-spanning actors).
We know it's probably going to take place in the future, if not the deep future (There are astronauts in space who discover worm holes and parallel dimensions; there has to be a science fiction element that is granted by being in the future at the very least).
We know it's dealing with Time Travel, so at face value, it's Inception-In-Space, where time/reality is distorted, and multiple levels of reality are happening simultaneously.
We know Nolan is a huge fan of Ridley Scott, and cites him as one of his favorite directors ever.

Having said this, I look to this film for ultimate influence and inspiration. Nolan's inspiration for Inception was Blade Runner; Nolan's inspiration for Interstellar is:

I'm hoping for something like Sunshine.

Just watch these scenes, this is something I hope Nolan will go for:

Star Trek IV: The One With the Whales and Time Travel