Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
LoneCooper wrote:
Jordan Raup ‏@jpraup 4m4 minutes ago
Overheard something worrisome tonight: "Interstellar is among the best movies ever made. It'll be one of the classics."

Heard it from a studio executive, FYI
Oh lord.

Everyone here needs to prepare for the backlash. Doesn't matter how good a movie is, there will always be a group looking to knock it.

Immanuel1824 wrote:
"Interstellar is among the best movies ever made. It'll be one of the classics."
Sigh.
Other film fans think they know hype. They merely adopted the hype.
NOLAN FANS WERE BORN IN IT.
Molded by it.
I like that. Very nice.

radewart wrote:Everyone here needs to prepare for the backlash. Doesn't matter how good a movie is, there will always be a group looking to knock it.
Truth. Every great popular director had large groups of haters. Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg.

Sky007 wrote:
Immanuel1824 wrote:Question, guys.
What were the early reviews/hype like for Inception?
Mmmm a few said it was a masterpiece, and I pretty much agree. Then a wave of backlash. Then a wave of backlash to that backlash. Then the film actually came out. It was not as hyped as this though. There's been plenty of people calling this Nolan's best.
Mother of God . . . . His BEST?
Don't want to get too OT here, but my ranking for Nolan's films since Memento goes like this:
7. Insomnia 6. Begins 5. Prestige 4. Rises 3. Inception 2. Memento 1. Knight
The top 5 are so close together, it's not even funny.
It would take quite a good movie to top that list.

Duuuude. November here we come :gonf:

Specifying Anne is in lead is a good move. There have been articles in Deadline, etc. about how they should extend the number of Best Actor nominations because there are so many potential nominees again this year. They pointed out that Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, etc., etc., etc. could have all expected Best Actor nominations last year but the field was too packed. Same thing again this year.

But they also point out there have been so few good roles for Best Actress contenders that it will be hard even to fill the 5 slots. So Anne may well have her chance.

radewart wrote:Everyone here needs to prepare for the backlash. Doesn't matter how good a movie is, there will always be a group looking to knock it.
^This man speaks truth.

LoneCooper wrote:
Overheard something worrisome tonight: "Interstellar is among the best movies ever made. It'll be one of the classics."

Meh, not too exciting to hear what studio executives thought about it (especially if they have a financial stake in the production). I think it's more telling when non-studio people come out raving, but I guess it's good that studio executive enjoyed his/herself.
Immanuel1824 wrote:Question, guys.
What were the early reviews/hype like for Inception?
There was hype but not quite as much as the level Interstellar is currently getting. Although some early reviews came out declaring it a 'Kubrickian masterpiece', which of course made certain critics bring out their knives for it. Hopefully Interstellar doesn't get quite the same amount of critical backlash when it opens in a little over a month from now.

Bacon wrote:
LoneCooper wrote:

How is that "worrisome"?
Well I think there's two possible answers:

A. This dude is not a fan of Nolan and he does not like to see Nolan films succeed.

B. He is a Nolan fan and he is worried that too strong of praise too early will inevitably kill its award chances and attract backlash

The latter unfortunately tends to happen year after year. The film bestowed with the title of front-runner tends to falter and attract harsher criticism. If Interstellar is as good as we all hope and and has the right stuff to win a handful of awards it will either have to be unanimously loved or come in under the radar. But I think it's clearly already showing up on the radar...

Sky007 wrote:
Bacon wrote:
LoneCooper wrote:

How is that "worrisome"?
Because film critics don't like to hear that popular things are among the greatest ever.