Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Miss Darko wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:
taylorimpromptu wrote:Lord Shade, can you give some detail or paint a brief picture on the launch scene? This won't ruin my viewing experience on Tuesday in any way; I just need to add something extra to my daily fix!
Hm, ok... Opening scene in the film is done professionally, but not as impressive as many other scenes. It's not like, say, The Dark Knight Rises. It's more down to earth. In the truest sense. I think it was done deliberately.
Interesting, though I think you misinterpreted taylorimpromptu's post. They were referring to the literal rocket launch scene.
So, ok.
The training process wasn't shown. They just jump to be in rocket and fly up. There was countdown during the scene when Cooper in his car leaves the farm, and Murph's crying in the doorway and looks at him leaving her. We saw almost entire scene in promo videos for this movie - teaser, trailers and spots.

Lord Shade wrote:
UnknownVariation wrote:
Lord Shade wrote:Noticed an error in the list of actors and their roles. Actually,
William Devane is not Old Tom in Interstellar. He is one of the board members of the ground residues of NASA.
Is the training process shown in the film or do they just jump to him being suited up?
No, the training process wasn't shown. They just jump to be in rocket and fly up. There was countdown during the scene when Cooper in his car leaves the farm, and Murph's crying in the doorway and looks at him leaving her.
That's kind of a shame, actually. For Nolan to cite The Right Stuff as such a massive influence, you'd think he'd want to shine a little light on the training. Just like a quick montage or something. Oh well.

Lord Shade, would you rank his films please?

-Vader

UnknownVariation wrote:
That's kind of a shame, actually. For Nolan to cite The Right Stuff as such a massive influence, you'd think he'd want to shine a little light on the training. Just like a quick montage or something. Oh well.
Well, I think he was mainly talking about visuals (how the space outside is projected so that it can effect the lightning in the scene, instead of done in greenscreen). The way Cooper is portrayed in the film and the overall adventurous yet grounded approach to space travel might take after it as well.

I have a couple questions as well, though, with one that's kinda been bugging me, if you wouldn't mind Lord Shade:
I didn't find this out intentionally, but a review I read spoiled the fact that Cooper receives transmissions from Murph while they're on one of the planets, which go unanswered and Cooper sees them when he returns to the Endurance in orbit. Is there any explanation as to how these transmissions reach them from a galaxy away? It seems odd for the movie to treat the laws of physics so realistically but to forget that transmissions from our galaxy could take billions of years or longer to reach them, unless the transmissions go through the wormhole or something. I don't want specifics really, just curious if that's justified in the film.

Second question is a bit more spoilery for me, but I kinda want to know whether I should temper or bolster my expectations here. Again, I don't want any specifics, but I'm curious if Cooper's crew visits just the two extrasolar planets we've seen (the water planet and the ice planet), or if they visit more than that in the course of the film. I have a feeling it's just the two, but I wouldn't mind knowing whether to expect more destinations after they reach the second planet.

Vader182 wrote:Lord Shade, would you rank his films please?

-Vader
It's very hard... But OK.

Before Interstellar:
1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight Rises (in my personal feelings, it's on the same level as The Prestige)
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. Insomnia
8. Following

Now:
1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Interstellar
4. The Prestige
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. Memento
8. Insomnia
9. Following

That's how I feel now.

Lord Shade wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Lord Shade, would you rank his films please?

-Vader
It's very hard... But OK.

Before Interstellar:
1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight Rises (in my personal feelings, it's on the same level as The Prestige)
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. Insomnia
8. Following

Now:
1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Interstellar
4. The Prestige
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Batman Begins
7. Memento
8. Insomnia
9. Following

That's how I feel now.
That's almost exactly how I would rank Nolan's films. I would just switch The Prestige and Batman Begins. I'm glad to see Interstellar in that spot. Hopefully I agree :twothumbsup:

No offense to anyone, but if you're one of those weirdos who like to know *everything* before you see the movie and want Lord Shade to reveal all kinds of details now that he's seen the movie - why don't you just PM him instead? Even if it's spoiler tagged I don't think it should be in this thread.

Please.

Monicabbm wrote:
Mulholland-Jr wrote:What about Topher Grace's character?
Chastain's husband in the film.
is this a joke :?: :?: :?:

3rd act is going to lose general movie goers.

danny wrote:
Monicabbm wrote:
Mulholland-Jr wrote:What about Topher Grace's character?
Chastain's husband in the film.
is this a joke :?: :?: :?:
Yes it is. Actually no it isn't. Actually i don't know.