Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
hotsauce32 wrote:
Miss Darko wrote:That's a pretty epic Nolan picture.

One day he's gonna have a biographical movie made about him and that's gonna be the poster.
Played by Leonardo Dicaprio
Exactly my thoughts about it :thumbup:

MiracleSleeper2 wrote:I kinda woder if I guessed the plot twist of Interstellar based on one simple plot point, lol.

Basically Coop and Anne's character fall in love during the space voyage and they tap dat ass (it's confirmed they have sex). Towards the end of the film they have a child (Murphy), Anne eventually dies, and they unfortunately fail at their mission to save Earth.

Coop realizes the only way to try to save earth is if he goes back in time and tries again (because we know its about time travel) So Coop brings Murphy through a warm hole, leading back to before the beginning of the film. It turns out this isn't the first time Coop has voyaged into space, he's done so multiple times.

So basically, the first act of Interstellar is actually about Coop dealing with the fact that he's already tried to save the earth multiple times, and Murphy serves as a reminder of Anne which causes him a lot of pain. The whole film is actually about Coop's never ending pursuit to try to save the ones he loves, and he dedicates his life to that one sole purpose. The film ends on a positive note, implying that one day Coop will eventually attain enough knowledge and wisdom to succeed at his mission.
For those of you who know the plot, am I correct? Or at least close at all with my prediction?
No, you know. This is incorrect, actually.
Huge, huge, HUGE spoiler
Christopher removed almost entirely Cooper and Brand's romance

THAT 70MM !! No wonder why preservation of this format leads to debate.

Lord Shade wrote:All right. :gonf:
About the transmissions: yes, there was an explanation of this. This is precisely explained in the film. By Michael Caine's character, as I remember.
In more detail, if you want:
You see, not only matter, but the information too can move through the wormhole. However, in very small quantities. In the film, they transmit messages from the source by the portions and the receiver collecting them and combined together, whereby a single entity message. There are more precisely explanation in the movie.
And about the second question...
Not all worlds have been featured in promotional videos and photos for the film. There are more than two. I will not say by how much, if you don't want it. Yes, there are simply incredible things starting after the reaching the second planet.
Thank you very much for your detailed yet not particularly spoilerific response.
I'm glad to see the logic of the film holding up so far. Yeah, that explanation was the only one I could think of that would make sense, so it's good that's the explanation.

As for your answer to my second question... color me pretty damn ecstatic. I was definitely hoping to see some more alien environments in this movie and I'm glad to hear I won't be disappointed. I mean, I care about the emotional core of the film, and the overarching themes and symbolism that will ultimately drive the film, but the allure of interstellar spectacle and adventure is a lot of what's gotten me excited about the movie in the first place. It would have been great to discover this on my own as a surprise, but I feel this is preferable to me expecting such a thing and only getting two planets. I wanted to know whether to temper my expectations in order to fully appreciate the film for what it is, and now I feel I don't have to.

Again, thanks for your answers.

Rsionis wrote:THAT 70MM !! No wonder why preservation of this format leads to debate.
Holy fuck!!
Wait...let me understand...
49 of those reels together = 1 Interstellar movie in 70mm IMAX?

antovolk wrote:
What did Anne Hathaway say in the clip? I can't understand, "I'm a WHAT? too...just being honest"

geozou1 wrote:
antovolk wrote:
What did Anne Hathaway say in the clip? I can't understand, "I'm a WHAT? too...just being honest"
Anne says "we're going to be spending a lot of time together"
McC: "we should learn to talk"
Anne "and when not to"

Anne "just being honest"
McC "don't think we need to be that honest"

So the best format to watch this in is 35MM and IMAX? The critics are confusing me on this lol

4N Legend wrote:So the best format to watch this in is 35MM and IMAX? The critics are confusing me on this lol
The format that both Nolan and critics agree on is seeing it on 70mm IMAX. If you don't have a screening of that sort near you, then regular 70mm would be your next best bet, then probably 35mm, and then digital IMAX. Personally, I'm not a fan of digital IMAX, mainly because it doesn't offer a massive improvement compared to my Ultrascreen in my local city. 70mm IMAX on the other hand is a whole different story, and I can't wait to see over an hour of the film filling up the entire IMAX screen!