Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
danny wrote:
Interstellar wrote:
danny wrote:where is the first name of Cooper and others characters on wiki and imdb?
Joseph Cooper
Ameila Brand
and maybe professor John Brand.

About Kane I just heard.
but someone will put it in wiki and imdb?
It will be updated as soon as the movie is out this week.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/indie- ... m-20141103
"By giving 35mm a couple of days to open early, it's not a gamble," he said. "Even people who don't care about the format will want to see it. For a couple of days, we'll be one of the only places in town to see it. At the very worst, we're not going to lose any money."
Other small theaters are scrambling to assemble film projectors and, in some cases, are seeing it as a way to "eventize" the movie even further, even going so far as to post videos of their print preparations on YouTube. Willow Creek Cinemas Twelve in Minnesota posted on YouTube that they are "honored" to be opening "Interstellar" on 70mm and shared the below to showcase some of the preparations they've made to screen the film.

Stoifics will be having a field day ;D

antovolk wrote:Stoifics will be having a field day ;D
Exactly what I thought :lol:! Wow the level of detail they put into this... It's so cool!!

yourstrulyinhd wrote:
SolidMel10 wrote:
Yusuf Dazz wrote:I wish I could see it tomorrow, but I have to work and the theater which will present it is kind of far away.
My local IMAX theater is about 10 minutes and I will be watching it this Thursday at 9pm(Eastern Time). But although I already have my ticket, obviously I have to be there like at least one hour and half for the line. On Friday I'm planning to drive to Fort Lauderdale to rewatch it on the AutoNation IMAX which is the biggest IMAX screen on all South Florida. I think the occasion deserve it! :thumbup:
The autonation in Fort Lauderdale is the one I go to. I going Friday night. Its more than an hour drive but I plan to watch Interstellar only in Imax, no matter how many times I decide to watch it during its theatrical run.
I'll be there Friday night too with a gang of my friends. I'm also going on Tuesday (TOMORROW!!!) with my parents. I'm unbelievably excited at this point. Marathoning Nolan films all day today and tomorrow.
Lucky you that you can watch it tomorrow there!
But for me I can wait two more days for Thursday.
I'm already done with my Nolanpalooza marathon weeks ago. So I'M SOOOOOO READY!!!

JonnyM93 wrote:
antovolk wrote:Stoifics will be having a field day ;D
Exactly what I thought :lol:! Wow the level of detail they put into this... It's so cool!!
Finally, weeks after my Endurance analysis, Nolan decides to release his own... ;)

I'd love to go all-out in picking apart the details, but it seems a bit pointless to do that now when I'm going to see all this stuff in action in just... [checks countdown] ... 72 hours. I'll save it for when I do a "master analysis" of all the scientific realism/unrealism in the movie once I've seen it.

One thing I'd like to go ahead and point out now, though, is that the engine they picked for the ship does actually exist. A magnetoplasma engine is an "electric rocket:" instead of combusting chemicals like the Shuttle or Saturn V, it ejects charged particles out the back using magnetic fields. Such a system is extremely efficient and does indeed have a blue exhaust plume. The primary drawback is that its thrust output is extremely low, requiring days to get up to the same speeds that a chemical rocket could reach in minutes. It's also quite a power hog, a problem that Endurance solves with compact fusion reactors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetopla ... c_thruster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_S ... sma_Rocket

I've copied all the text for each module below for convenience. It's not a spoiler, I just put it in the tag so it doesn't take up a ton of space.
ENDURANCE, SPACE EXPLORATION VEHICLE

Building on the experience gained from the previous century of manned spaceflight, the Endurance consists of a series of modules or pods arranged in a linked ring around a central docking hub. The ring can spin at a rate of approximately 5.6 revolutions per minute to produce 1G of artificial gravity within the ring at the level of the crew decks. The diameter of the Endurance is approximately 60 meters. The modules are linked by a series of communication tunnels which feature observation windows and exterior-access hatches. Four of the communication tunnels are equipped with peripheral airlock nodes to which the Ranger craft can dock via their aft airlocks.

THE LANDER

This is a heavy lifting shuttle craft. As with the Ranger it has single-stage surface-to-orbit capability. The Lander can carry the Landing Pods, slinging them underneath the craft. Its heat shield is on its upper surface, so it performs atmospheric entry inverted, protecting the belly-mounted payload. The Lander has heavy armor, enabling it to survive very hostile environments. The Lander carries a crew of four people and one robot, though there is space in the central compartment for additional passengers. The Lander is driven by a combination of chemical rockets and plasma jets. Hydrazine thrusters are used for maneuvers in space.

HABITAT MODULES

These contain the crew living areas, including the mess and conference room as well as various scientific workstations. The Habitat Modules also contain the stores of consumables required for the mission. Water and air recycling units as well as primary life support are housed in the Habitat Modules below the floor of the crew cabins, providing additional radiation shielding. The Habitat modules feature photovoltaic solar arrays on their outward-facing surfaces - the electricity produced by the arrays provides a redundant backup to the tokamaks.

THE RANGER

This is a fast, agile reconnaissance vehicle with single-stage surface-to-orbit capability. It can also be launched in a double “belly to belly” configuration on top of a large multi-stage booster. The Ranger can carry a crew of four people and one robot. Each ranger has its own cryo-sleep tanks for long duration missions. The Ranger is driven by a combination of chemical rockets and plasma jets. Hydrazine thrusters are used for maneuvers in space.

CRYO LAB MODULE

This module houses on its main deck the cryo-sleep tanks used by the crew for long duration space travel. The Cryo Lab also serves as the Endurance’s sickbay and medical center. The lower deck of the Cryo Lab module houses a life sciences laboratory.

MAIN ENGINES MODULE

The Endurance’s engines feature advanced magnetoplasma rockets, which produce a distinctive blue exhaust plume of ionised gas when firing. Each module contains a compact tokamak power plant which generates electricity via magnetically-confined fusion. As well as generating electricity for use in the engines the tokamaks supply power to the rest of the Endurance’s systems. Each engine module features smaller maneuvering thrusters on its corners. These are standard hydrazine thrusters of the type used in present day space travel.

COMMAND MODULE

The Ring Module is controlled from this module which contains the main Flight Deck and navigational hub. The lower deck of the Command Module features a station for long range communication. The Command module has a photovoltaic solar array on its outward-facing surface.

THE CENTRAL DOCKING HUB

Features a cluster of airlocks and mooring points. During the cruise phase of a mission the Ranger and Lander craft are attached to the central docking hub in the configuration shown in the image below. There are two of each type of craft. The Central Docking Hub has an aft-facing airlock that is aligned with the Endurance’s central spin axis. The Ring Module can be controlled from the cockpit of either Ranger, allowing the entire Endurance to be piloted from the Ranger.

LANDING PODS

The Endurance is designed to be used in planetary exploration. The lower sections of these pods contain surface mission stores and can be detached and ferried down to a planet’s surface using the Lander craft. On the surface the empty pod can be used as a shelter to protect the explorers from the planet’s environmental conditions. Each pod features a ceramic heat shield on its surface.

Time. Full arcticle.