Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I'm wondering how people who complain about exposition in Nolan movies are watching other Sci-fi movies, high concept movies,fantasy,heist movies etc. All these (sub-)genres naturally contain a lot of exposition but it seems not to be hip enough to moan over it unless it's Nolan.

The 1st half of LOTR1 alone contains more exposition than Inception in it's entirity.
The Matrix, Star Wars,Cabin in the Woods,Star Trek, Back to the Future, T1 and T2,Primer etc. contain just as much, if not more exposition. Nolan "invented" it ofc :roll:

Skyab23 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:
Boy, if that clip is any indication of the kind of dialogue we're in for... this could be a long 169 minutes.
When I'm watching a Nolan film, I expect to be invested, not jawning, so I don't see the problem. On the contrary, bring it! Mind will certainly be dizzy afterwards, and for the better.

thrice wrote:I'm wondering how people who complain about exposition in Nolan movies are watching other Sci-fi movies, high concept movies,fantasy,heist movies etc. All these (sub-)genres naturally contain a lot of exposition but it seems not to be hip enough to moan over it unless it's Nolan.

The 1st half of LOTR1 alone contains more exposition than Inception in it's entirity.
The Matrix, Star Wars,Cabin in the Woods,Star Trek, Back to the Future, T1 and T2,Primer etc. contain just as much, if not more exposition. Nolan "invented" it ofc :roll:
The difference is, that it is with ALL of Nolan's films. It's a pattern. Of course you can pick and choose films that use exposition as a narrative device for the plot, but it isn't typically used in nearly all of a director's filmography. Thus far, that's pretty much the case with Nolan.

m4st4 wrote:That was a good clip, McC was convincing.
One thing that was jarring: the actress with the Princess Leia hairdo has such a strong Canadian accent. Sounds weird with McC's Southern drawl.

i don't want to see this clip, but i'm not sure for how long.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Skyab23 wrote:
HorrorBiz wrote:
Boy, if that clip is any indication of the kind of dialogue we're in for... this could be a long 169 minutes.

It's out of context no doubt, but it's still a bit typical dialogue for a Nolan film. I'm going to try not to hold the dialogue and exposition of the film against it, as I've become accustomed to it with his films. If everything else falls into place, I'll be satisfied as a moviegoer. But, there's a reason, for me at least, that Nolan doesn't strike a chord with me regarding his scripts...and this scene exemplifies that.
Yeah the dialogue didn't do much for me either, neither did the the whole emphasis on the moon landing conspiracy conversation.
Just seemed...silly and needless (maybe even abit trite) but it might hold justice in the whole narrative of the film.
Last edited by OpenBook on October 30th, 2014, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rom
Last edited by Rom on September 7th, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

UnknownVariation wrote:
Damn. Hathaway is gorgeous.
Corrected for you :P
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on October 30th, 2014, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.