Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Okay
"THE ONLY WAY I KNOW HOW TO DO THE TRICK IS TO FOIND YOU A BLUUHDY GOOD DAHBLE!"

I was listening to old episodes of StarTalk radio hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and one of the episodes had the topic of time travel. One of the questions posed on the episode was concerned with time travel into the past. Tyson went on to discuss an equation a colleague of his - not Thorne - had proposed to allow such a thing, and apparently it was only possible via the interaction of two orbiting black holes. I remember there being a binary black hole system in the early script, but I don't remember any mention of Cooper attempting to go back in time to reunite with his family. Obviously from the trailers we've seen, there only appears to be one black hole in the solar system they end up in, though that may not be the only solar system they travel to. I was just extremely giddy when I heard that, as it would allow Coop to reunite with his family and give the movie a happy ending.

UnknownVariation wrote:
I was listening to old episodes of StarTalk radio hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and one of the episodes had the topic of time travel. One of the questions posed on the episode was concerned with time travel into the past. Tyson went on to discuss an equation a colleague of his - not Thorne - had proposed to allow such a thing, and apparently it was only possible via the interaction of two orbiting black holes. I remember there being a binary black hole system in the early script, but I don't remember any mention of Cooper attempting to go back in time to reunite with his family. Obviously from the trailers we've seen, there only appears to be one black hole in the solar system they end up in, though that may not be the only solar system they travel to. I was just extremely giddy when I heard that, as it would allow Coop to reunite with his family and give the movie a happy ending.
I'm pretty sure by some plot device he ends up with his daughter again. The plot device has to be a significant realistic space-time phenomena and something based on exisiting scientific data. What could be better than the use of Murphy's Law as the basis of returning back. In such a case, the event of a multiverse (parallel universe), where Cooper decides which time on Earth to go back to at the ending of the film. Christopher Nolan has always pursued the theme of 'What is Reality?' in his films.

Physicist Kip Thorne himself has said to get from one universe to another requires traversable worm-holes (shortcuts through space-time, which are theoretically allowed by general relativity). According to Thorne traversable worm holes are not naturally-occurring but must be created be a super-advanced civilization.

Therefore, the conclusion is that In order for cooper to reunite with his family in their life-time again. Would most probably involve the use of a worm-hole created by a super-advanced civilization that was included in the old script and fits nicely with the idea of Jessica Chastain meeting her father again + Kip Thorne's travel between multiverse idea + Christopher Nolan's shared theme of family love and grasp of reality throughout his past few films.
Last edited by nolan_fanatic on October 12th, 2014, 3:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

UnknownVariation wrote:
I believe you and I discussed this possibility a few months back...

消息确定:《星际穿越》(Interstellar)将会在11月7日在中国大陆地区同步公映!但不知是否会有1570胶片IMAX版本!

It‘s confirmed: Interstellar will be released in China at November 7. But it still doesn't know if it can be played in 1570 IMAX theater.
Last edited by Roberthoo on October 12th, 2014, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nolan_fanatic wrote:
UnknownVariation wrote:
I'm pretty sure by some plot device he ends up with his daughter again. The plot device has to be a significant realistic space-time phenomena and something based on exisiting scientific data. What could be better than the use of Murphy's Law as the basis of returning back. In such a case, the event of a multiverse (parallel universe), where Cooper decides which time on Earth to go back to at the ending of the film. Christopher Nolan has always pursued the theme of 'What is Reality?' in his films.

Physicist Kip Thorne himself has said to get from one universe to another requires traversable worm-holes (shortcuts through space-time, which are theoretically allowed by general relativity). According to Thorne traversable worm holes are not naturally-occurring but must be created be a super-advanced civilization.

Therefore, the conclusion is that In order for cooper to reunite with his family in their life-time again. Would most probably involve the use of a worm-hole created by a super-advanced civilization that was included in the old script and fits nicely with the idea of Jessica Chastain meeting her father again + Kip Thorne's travel between multiverse idea + Christopher Nolan's shared theme of family love and grasp of reality throughout his past few films.
Interesting...
Yeah in the script they referenced the "Bulk Beings" who ultimately were the ones who created the wormholes if you remember towards the end of the draft. I found that to be one the most interesting points in the story albeit Nolan seems to have altered a lot of that so there's no telling what we will encounter now.

Roberthoo wrote:消息确定:《星际穿越》(Interstellar)将会在11月7日在中国大陆地区同步公映!但不知是否会有1570胶片IMAX版本!

It‘s confirmed: Interstellar will be released in China at November 7. But it still doesn't know if it can be played in 1570 IMAX theater.
Why post in Chinese when your English is so good? :D

Bale Fan wrote:
Roberthoo wrote:消息确定:《星际穿越》(Interstellar)将会在11月7日在中国大陆地区同步公映!但不知是否会有1570胶片IMAX版本!

Why post in Chinese when your English is so good? :D
I want Chinese fans could see this!

Seems legit.

aleks989 wrote:Image
lol, so true.